What's new

NFL 2016-17 Regular Season Discussion (1 Viewer)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Honestly, Belichick amazes me. Rookies all over the place, first NFL start for his QB, missing his most important guys on offense, playing what is thought to be the most talented team in the NFL in their home stadium, and he walks out of there with a win. Wow. That Cardinals team is a very tough team and they went toe to toe with them and looked damn good doing it. On top of which every team in his division lost yesterday so the Pats went one up on the entire division. Garappolo handled himself well and made some very nice throws including a beauty of a scramble and throw in the 4th quarter. He fumbled once, which is one of their fears with him, small hands for an NFL QB so the ball can squirt out at times. The kid does have a quick release, part of the reason he was drafted, and the interesting part is he seems to rise to the level of the game. He is one of those guys that seems to play better in games than in practice. If he plays like that through 4 games the Pats will easily be able to trade him for a number 1 draft pick plus additional picks or players. I mean for what the Vikings gave up for Bradford a young QB like Garoppolo should bring a king's ransom.

Now they get three home games in a row starting with a Dolphins team that managed to nearly beat the Seahawks in a game with almost no offense, then the Texans come to New England which looks like the biggest challenge, followed by the Bills who just look absolutely horrible. I can honestly say none of those teams are anywhere near as good as the Cardinals.

On the Cardinals side I think both Fitzgerald and David Johnson look like monster players. Palmer was OK making some good throws and then some that were just totally off. I think the Cards will bounce back in week 2 by showing up to play the Buccs in a very bad mood.

Here is one thing I took from the game that may seem minor but was not...THE BLACK UNICORN!!!

He only had three catches but he also completely eliminated Chandler Jones from the game. I mean Jones did not even have a tackle or even an assist. Pretty much every play that he was not running a route the unicorn was flattening Chandler Jones. Yes, Jones was lucky enough to fall on the fumble but truth be told he was not a factor in the game because a TE...yes, a TE...wiped him out on nearly every play. That was truly awesome. It was like Belichick said "Unicorn, we need you to take Jones out of the game." and the unicorn said "No problem. coach."

This and I'm not sure what kind of Wheaties they are feeding Blount but he is running the ball like a man possessed and he mostly was looking like he was washed up last year.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
So, here we go the first full Sunday of football. I think with all the QB turmoil in the league we will likely see running the football become a bigger deal than it has been in a while. I mean how bad is the situation with QB play in the NFL? Just look at the Saints who rather than worry about searching for a new QB resigned the 37 year old Drew Brees to a massive new contract with a whopping 30 million dollar signing bonus. Brady is 39...I mean wow...when does somebody try to bring Brett Favre out of retirement? I hear Jeff George wants a tryout!

Personally, I will be mainly watching the Chargers at Chiefs game and the Packers at Jaguars game during the 1 pm slate. In the late games I will be tuned into Lions at Colts with a little checking in on the Giants at Cowboys game. In the evening game I will likely watch to see how Belichick gameplans with no Brady or Gronk. The Patriots do have an improved ball hawking defense and Carson Palmer has been horrible so far...like he has perhaps fallen off that Peyton Manning cliff. However, my feeling is Palmer gets back on track and the Cardinals look to be way too much for a Brady and Gronk-less Patriots team. About the only thing interesting about this match-up is how Belichick coaches up his team to stay in it. I will likely skip the Monday Night double header. The late game is terrible and the Steelers should handle the Redskins in the early game.

Enjoy the games and the season, gentlemen.
You have my sympathies for watching that game. Sadly, I must say that the bolts did not disappoint me. I don't think there's a better team for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. They have proved so distracting and damaging to my blood pressure that I don't watch them live anymore. I record the game and then, usually delete it without watching it.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Week Two Picks

Jets at Bills - Rex Ryan and his brother Rob enjoy a good snack. Rex forgets he is coaching the Bills and wanders into the Jets meeting to give the team one of his typical go get 'em speeches. The Jets are so excited that Rex wants them to win they do! Pick: Jets

49ers at Panthers - Blaine Gabbert is the second coming of Joe Montana...OK maybe not. Pick: 49ers

Cowboys at Redskins - Tony Romo is wrapped in bubble wrap and sandwiched between two mattresses as he lies on the sideline watching the bi-annual John Wayne game. He sneezes and is carted off with yet another back injury before halftime. Pick: Redskins

Bengals at Steelers - The Red Rifle shoots it out with Big Ben. Pick: Steelers

Saints at Giants - Eli Manning gets spun around during a play in this game and is surprised to see nothing but open field in front of him. He sprints untouched into the end zone, as he spikes the ball in celebration the Saints all stand laughing at him and he realizes he has just given them a safety by running the wrong way into his own end zone. Pick: Saints

Dolphins at Patriots - The last time the Dolphins beat the Patriots in Foxborough was in 2008 when Matt Cassel was at QB. Matt Cassel now plays for the Titans. The Patriots are not the Titans. Pick: Patriots

Chiefs at Texans - As much as I'd like to see the Chiefs lose this game for what they did to my Chargers...I don't think that happens. Pick: Chiefs

Titans at Lions - Calvin Johnson is wondering if he picked the right year to retire. Pick: Lions

Ravens at Browns - Second game and second QB for the Browns. Pick: Ravens

Seahawks at Rams - Apparently the only people in the Rams organization that stayed up for the Monday night game were the cheerleaders. Pick: Seahawks

Buccaneers at Cardinals - There is an old saying about pirates and birds. Pick: Cardinals

Jaguars at Chargers - One of these teams will be a hard fought 0-2 at the end of this game. I really don't want it to be the Chargers. Pick: Chargers

Falcons at Raiders - What is it about pirates and birds this week? Jack Del Rio orders 5 tons of fried chicken delivered to the Raiders locker room prior to the game screaming "Eat these pigeons!" at his team while he has a mouth full of drumstick. A confused Raiders team wins the game anyway. Pick: Raiders

Colts at Broncos- A horsey team that can't play defense loses to a horsey team with a very good defense in what will be forever known as the Equine Bowl. Pick: Broncos

Packers at Vikings - Aaron Rodgers throws a 50 yard bomb for a touchdown while standing on his head, juggling lit torches with his feet and singing Ave Maria. Pick: Packers

Eagles at Bears - The rookie Carson Wentz keeps asking his coach why the other team's QB always looks like he is about to cry. Pick: Eagles

Last edited:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Real concerns for week 2 of the NFL season...

Andrew Luck may want to pull a hammy so he needs to sit out the game against the Broncos. The Broncos defense beat the hell out of Cam Newton and nearly decapitated him. The Colts on top of having no defense whatsoever also have an absolutely horrible offensive line. They can't pass block anywhere near as well as the Panthers line. This game will be a serious threat to Luck's health.

Somebody needs to make sure Rex and Rob get their snacks before and during the game. They don't coach so well with a snack and they think they are coaching the Chinese badminton team if they miss their snack.

At some point during every game going forward somebody on the opposing defense is likely to say to Aaron Rodgers "OK, now you're just showing off."

During the game against the Seahawks the Rams management is going to say "Um, this Jeff Fisher guy can't coach and why the hell is Case Keenum playing QB?"

Both the Bears and Browns are likely to make phone calls to the Patriots to enquire about the availability of Jimmy Garoppolo.

Somebody will ask "Why do Cowboys management seem to love QBs that don't win anything?"

Jack Del Rio will drive to the stadium in a pick-up truck with a huge set of testicles hanging from the rear bumper and keep telling people they are actually his.

Browns fans will wonder if they will ever win a game again and/or if they will ever have a real QB play for their team again.

Somebody is going to have to stop Antonio Brown from scoring touchdowns because his celebration dances are getting more and more awful. Stay classy Pittsburgh. #stayclassypittsburgh

Vikings fans will see Sam Bradford at QB and ask "We gave up a first round pick for this?"

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
You're picking the Niners over the Panthers, Reggie? :huh:

My picks:

Jets over Bills
Steelers over Bengals
Panthers over Niners
Ravens over Browns
Lions over Titans
Texans over Chiefs
Pats over 'Phins
Giants over Saints
'Skins over 'Boys
Cards over Bucs
Seahens over Rams
Broncos over Colts
Raiders over Falcons
Jags over Chargers
Packers over Vikings
Eagles over Da Bears

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
You're picking the Niners over the Panthers, Reggie?

I know right? Here's the thing...every week I like to go for an upset special so I actually have to try to find a game where I think there is an underdog team that actually could win. Last week I thought I had a good one in picking a young Jags team at home to knock off the Packers. They came close but Rodgers once again had one of those plays where he must have had the entire box of lucky charms stuffed up his rear end and completed a crazy pass to Adams.

If I wanted to get the upset special right last week I should have picked the Patriots over the Cardinals but I honestly did not see that as likely.

So, look over this weeks slate of games and try to find an upset special in that mess. I mean I could pick something like the Rams over the Seahawks...that would be an upset...but the Rams honestly looked like the worst team in the NFL in week one. I mean they got smoked by the 49ers. Not just beaten...absolutely destroyed in every aspect of the game. And Case Keenum looked HORRIBLE! Just vomit inducing bad. The Seahawks looked horrible as well and barely beat the Dolphins. But the Seahawks should beat the Rams...who are not as good as the Dolphins...what a horrible thing to say about a team.

Most of the games look like they are either sort of a mismatch or they could honestly go either way. So, hard to call most of those games an "upset" no matter who wins.

So, I look at the 49ers and their extremely dominate performance over the Rams. I think the Rams stink but generally to really smoke a team in the NFL that way you at least have to have some talent and be playing well in more than one aspect of the game. So, maybe the 49ers are a little better than we think. Their defense looked quite good...yes, against the Rams...but the Rams do play in the NFL.

Cam Newton took a severe beating against the Broncos. If the 49ers start knocking him around early too they may either knock him out of the game or cause him to get frustrated and play poorly...just like the Broncos did. Cam seems like a guy that is easy to frustrate. So, the best upset special on this menu I see is the 49ers to rattle a team that has to recover from a very serious and physical beating by the Broncos. The Broncos may have given the rest of the NFL the book on how to beat the Panthers.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
So the two most bizarre coaching stories to come out leading up to the week 2 games...

1. Jeff Fisher was given a 3 year extension (or is about to sign one) after getting utterly blown out by the 49ers and being absolutely horrible in his tenure with the Rams. The Rams can fire Fisher anytime during this season or at the end of the season at no loss to them because he is coaching the final year of his contract right now. So, this is the perfect time to just let him play out the season and make a change or let him go as long as they feel like losing this season and then fire him during the season once it becomes clear...which it nearly seems to be right now...that this is just a lost season for the Rams. The Rams look horribly coached, totally unprepared, and undisciplined right now. Why would you give this guy an extension? A major part of the problem with the Rams is the team appears horribly coached. I can't even understand why they did not fire Fisher as part of moving to LA. Bring in a new coach and maybe some excitement for Rams fans welcoming the team back to Los Angeles. Instead they bring Fisher with them and he continues the destruction of the team and can't even prepare his rookie QB to at least be a back-up. Wow, Rams fans must want their money back on season tickets. I would not want to pay to watch a Jeff Fisher coached team.

2. Rex Ryan had his "lap band" removed so he and his brother could "deal with" being fat together and because he "won more games without it" according to the foul mouthed fatty. He immediately piled on 30 pounds and while he is now again able to demolish a buffet table with Rob the two of these defensive geniuses working together could not put together a defensive game plan that could even slow down the Jets mediocre offense. You can watch an obscenity filled TV special about Rex and Rob reuniting in Buffalo to coach and battle the buffet together...

http://tinyurl.com/ztfjycd

Here Rex awaits his snack to be tossed sea lion style into his open mouth by a Bills staff member
Rex wants his snack.jpg

Last edited:

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Even better, the Bills fired their *offensive* coordinator after losing 37-31!

I suspect that Jeff Fisher is in possession of some *very* compromising photos of someone in the Rams ownership group.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
So, let's check in with Tom Brady to see what he's up to now that he has all this free time...

Brady was tossing a football with Jim Harbaugh before the Michigan - Colorado game at The Big House yesterday. It was cool seeing two of the all-time great Wolverine quarterbacks doing that. During the game they also showed a clip of Brady throwing passes to his young son in the end zone at the stadium earlier in the week.

Even better, the Bills fired their *offensive* coordinator after losing 37-31!

I suspect that Jeff Fisher is in possession of some *very* compromising photos of someone in the Rams ownership group.

Jeff Fisher's agent is Marvin Demoff, whose son is Rams COO Kevin Demoff. Nepotism is alive and well in Los Angeles.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Brady was tossing a football with Jim Harbaugh before the Michigan - Colorado game at The Big House yesterday. It was cool seeing two of the all-time great Wolverine quarterbacks doing that. During the game they also showed a clip of Brady throwing passes to his young son in the end zone at the stadium earlier in the week.

Jeff Fisher's agent is Marvin Demoff, whose son is Rams COO Kevin Demoff. Nepotism is alive and well in Los Angeles.

Yes, Brady and Harbaugh are also two of the most football obsessed guys on the planet. Glad Brady is enjoying himself on his vacation.

I think you nailed it on why the Rams would even offer Fisher a contract...hopefully, Marv is giving Kevin a huge discount on that contract.

One of the NFL shows reported that the Bills management did not even involve Rex Ryan in the firing of their offensive coordinator. That does not sound like the Bills brass have much faith in Ryan if they are not even involving him in that kind of coaching staff decision.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
So, the big question to you, Scott, is if the Steelers take down the Bengals today do you have a little more optimistic outlook for them making the playoffs?

Looks like it is pouring rain in Pittsburgh right now...

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
So, the big question to you, Scott, is if the Steelers take down the Bengals today do you have a little more optimistic outlook for them making the playoffs?

Looks like it is pouring rain in Pittsburgh right now...

Although I do like the 2-0 start, it's still way too early to get too excited. The NFL is along season of survival. As long as Big Ben is healthy, I like the Steelers chances every week. If he gets dinged up (which he usually does), then it gets scary.

The Lions and Titans set football back 20 years with a mistake-filled game. Glad I just listened to the game while enjoying the beautiful weather sitting on our deck. This was the only game on at 1pm here unless you have DirecTV and subscribe to NFL Sunday Ticket. Who except the most diehard Lions or Titans fans would want to watch that crap?

The Pats and Browns are now down to their 3rd string QB's after Week 2. We may get to see if Bellichick has truly made a deal with the Devil next week if Jimmy G cannot play and they still manage to win.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The Pats and Browns are now down to their 3rd string QB's after Week 2. We may get to see if Bellichick has truly made a deal with the Devil next week if Jimmy G cannot play and they still manage to win.
I'm less concerned about the QB situ than the apparent total lack of defense. Pats had a 28 point lead and nearly gave it all away in the second half by their complete inability to stop anything. Another few seconds on the clock and the Fins likely win the game.

I question whether Matt Patricia should remain employed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks