What's new

Next Star Wars Movie Announcement in January, Director Signed (1 Viewer)

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I just realized. This could be the Mandalorian movie. They just talked about this. Said they can make a movie and if they want to make something fast and with the load of pre-production art that they already have for the series, this seems the easiest. Directed by Jon Favreau. You heard it here first, and I have no sources! :ph34r:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It's not a Mandelorian movie. Alan Horn simply said that they could do that in the future, not that they were planning to, and I think it's in Disney's interest to keep that going on Disney+ for now.

It's probably something we haven't heard of before to fill the 2022 slot.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I think it's in Disney's interest to keep that going on Disney+ for now.
They can keep the series going for now. They are already filming season 2 and there is plenty of time till 2022. They can well finish the series before that.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
They can well finish the series before that.

I doubt that very much. I expect Mandelorian to be on Disney+ for years to come. It's the flagship show for this whole platform. They're not going to develop something exclusively for Disney+ and then just hand it over to the theatrical division a few years later. It was clear to me that Alan Horn's comment about maybe doing a Mandelorian movie at some point was a hypothetical statement and not an admission that they have something in active development.

We also don't know from the article whether the 2022 movie is being looked at as a one-off where no sequel is planned (in the vein of Rogue One) or if it is intended to start a new trilogy. The fact that they reserved Star Wars dates for 2022, 2024 and 2026 at the same time would seem to indicate the latter, but these dates were staked out when Benioff and Weiss were still expected to oversee the next trilogy. If all they want to do is fill the 2022 slot in the short term, they might do another one-off and save the next sequence of connected films for later.

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I know Disney wants trilogies because there's less risk as it sort of guarantees an audience for parts 2 and 3 but I wish they would just focus on single movies rather than setting up a string of movies. If a movie is successful then worry about doing another.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
They have more series to come, so Mandalorian is not the only flagship show. Obi-Wan will be the flagship show and it will be bigger than Mandalorian.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
From the other thread. Interview with Johnson.

There were some rumors that your film might be the one that’s coming in 2022. Is that true?
Every single day there’s a new thing. Until it’s up on StarWars.com don’t believe it.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
Johnson knows nothing. I suspect Lucasfilm is done with him, and there's no reason for him to be told anything they have in the works. He's the last person to ask.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
He has to be paid and he has to work. There is no way they pay him for nothing and he keeps working and working not knowing anything. :)

Last edited:

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I know this is so unlikely it's almost impossible, but my dream person for the next Star Wars movie after IX would be Spielberg. My number 2 choice would be Rian Johnson. After that, I'm open....

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I know this is so unlikely it's almost impossible, but my dream person for the next Star Wars movie after IX would be Spielberg. My number 2 choice would be Rian Johnson. After that, I'm open....
Unfortunately the chances of either is zero.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks