What's new

Next Star Wars Movie Announcement in January, Director Signed (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I won't go into why here because I've already posted my thoughts in The Rise of Skywalker thread, but I really didn't like that movie, and it's bad enough to mute my enthusiasm for future Star Wars projects.

This doesn't mean I couldn't be easily convinced with a well-cut trailer or something that looks cool in the future. But right now, I'm not jumping up and down excited for more of the franchise.

For me, personally, the most exciting thing they could do is confirm Rian Johnson's trilogy as the next one on the docket. Because I think The Last Jedi is the best thing that has ever happened to Star Wars, that would immediately get me back on board if his trilogy comes through.

If it's not that, then I'll make a decision about how excited I am when we see what it is.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I won't go into why here because I've already posted my thoughts in The Rise of Skywalker thread, but I really didn't like that movie, and it's bad enough to mute my enthusiasm for future Star Wars projects.

This doesn't mean I couldn't be easily convinced with a well-cut trailer or something that looks cool in the future. But right now, I'm not jumping up and down excited for more of the franchise.

For me, personally, the most exciting thing they could do is confirm Rian Johnson's trilogy as the next one on the docket. Because I think The Last Jedi is the best thing that has ever happened to Star Wars, that would immediately get me back on board if his trilogy comes through.

If it's not that, then I'll make a decision about how excited I am when we see what it is.
I would welcome Rian back as long as the story has nothing to do with the Skywalker saga. I hated the choices he made to characters in the Last Jedi. Unfortunately while you would love for his trilogy to be confirmed, many people would leave the fandom if that were to occur.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Oh, I know that you are right. His return would be controversial and would turn off some people. It won't surprise me if it doesn't happen, especially after how The Rise of Skywalker was reactionary to The Last Jedi. Johnson may decide that he doesn't want to come back for any number of reasons. However, for me personally that is the direction I would like them to go in, if he still wants to do it.

Last edited:

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
He should never be let near another Star Wars movie like Frank Miller should never be allowed to make another "Spirit" film.

He is better off making another Benoit Blanc film. He is better with intimate stories like that than he is with Space Opera.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
There is where we fundamentally disagree. The Last Jedi is in my opinion the best thing to ever happen to Star Wars, and I would embrace another Johnson Star Wars movie with open arms.

If Johnson goes and makes more Benoit Blanc instead of Star Wars, that's also going to result in something that I'd like to watch, because I loved Knives Out. I'm happy to see whatever Johnson does next for the rest of his career. But if the next Star Wars is not Johnson's, then they're going to have to work harder to convince me to care, because of my negative response to The Rise of Skywalker.

This of course is just my opinion. I know others will disagree and that's fine. But that's where I'm coming from on this issue right now personally.

Last edited:

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Johnson is the better writer than JJ.
The problems with TLJ are not Johnson, they are more structural problems within the trilogy and the lack of consistency throughout the three films.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
...many people would leave the fandom if that were to occur.
And based on The Rise Of Skywalker, it unfortunately seems like LFL actually tries to cater to those people too. They'll never satisfy a huge chunk of those people so it was a fool's errand to even try to "win them back" but it does seem like they will let the inmates run the asylum. My hope is that they get some balls and let someone make some bold choices rather than running back to the familiar in the hopes of keeping old fans happy.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
And based on The Rise Of Skywalker, it unfortunately seems like LFL actually tries to cater to those people too.

This more than anything is what makes me wonder if Johnson would actually still want to come back at this point. Although because he is a professional I am sure he would be diplomatic if asked for his opinion of The Rise of Skywalker, Lucasfilm created a film which deliberately walks back several of the bold choices he made in The Last Jedi as a direct response to "fan" backlash. So would that really entice him to come back and do more if bold choices are not really the choices that they are looking for? Kathleen Kennedy can talk until she is blue in the face about what a wonderful filmmaker Rian Johnson is and how proud she is of The Last Jedi, but the actions taken in The Rise of Skywalker to refute it speak volumes about her priorities. I'm not sure I would want to go back there if I were Johnson.

My hope is that they get some balls and let someone make some bold choices rather than running back to the familiar in the hopes of keeping old fans happy.

I agree 100%, and that's what felt so exciting to me about The Last Jedi in the first place. Johnson respected what came before in the franchise, but took it somewhere genuinely new and gave us something we hadn't seen before. That's also what disappointed me most about The Rise of Skywalker, because it retreated into the familiar in almost every way possible. Running solely on nostalgia and only giving "fans" versions of what they think fans want is a recipe for stagnation, which will eventually kill the franchise. If Disney wants this to keep going and stay relevant for another 40 years, genuine innovation is the only way forward.

Last edited:

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Unfortunately while you would love for his trilogy to be confirmed, many people would leave the fandom if that were to occur.

I know the solution! Let's bring Lucas back because EVERYTHING he did "the fans" LOVED.

I'm pretty sick of "fandom" and SW fandom in particular. If you don't like something, great. You're not required to like everything in a franchise/series. Same holds true for "real fans" or any version of that. What "the fans" have never understood is that every piece in a series/franchise will be someone's favorite. It will be their way into that story.

By insisting The Last Jedi is terrible or Return of the Jedi is a kiddie movie or Solo is a flop and only "true fans" hate them, the "true fans" are alienating new fans. New fans which are required, like Jake said, to keep the franchise going for another 40 years.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Solo is a flop

I get what you're saying overall and agree with it, but I'm not sure what you mean by this particular example. Solo was a flop because it lost money. That statement is not a value judgment on the quality of the film. It's just a fact of how the movie business works.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I get what you're saying overall, but I'm not sure what you mean by this particular example. Solo was a flop because it lost money. That has nothing whatsoever to do with the quality of the film. It's just a fact of how the movie business works.

Did it?

Grossed $392 million globally on a $275 million budget. After all ancillaries, did it still lose money? I know it needed to make $500 million, per reports, to turn a profit. But I don't think that number included everything else.

My overall point for Solo is this: a financial "flop" like Solo can still very much be a good or great movie which didn't hit its mark in the theater. It doesn't mean it's invalid, nor does it mean it's not part of canon because the "true fans" deem a financial failure in the box office to not be part of the franchise.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Some.people's."bold.choices" are.other people's ineffectual incoherent pointless choices. And the theory that Abrams and Disney walked back any of Johnson's decisions because of fan pressure is just that: a theory.

If this massive, influential, old fandom actually existed then why is the film running behind the other two in box office. If TRoS was a.film written by and for the massive old club that all of you think exist the you would think the film would be wildly exceeding all expectations. Yet, it isn't.

Maybe the real truth is that people are getting STAR WARS out because Disney is running the franchise into the ground with too many releases too fast.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Anyway, to get back on topic, have they actually confirmed a director for the next one or even that the next one is slated for 2022? It seems unlikely to me that a 2022 release date could be made at this time, since there hasn't been any further news to date.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
My overall point for Solo is this: a financial "flop" like Solo can still very much be a good or great movie which didn't hit its mark in the theater. It doesn't mean it's invalid, nor does it mean it's not part of canon because the "true fans" deem a financial failure in the box office to not be part of the franchise.

Okay, I agree with that for sure.

All of the films are part of the canon whether we like them or not. Personally, the one I would like to snuff out is The Rise of Skywalker, but it is just as much a part of the canon as any of the others, regardless of my not liking it.

Some.people's."bold.choices" are.other people's ineffectual incoherent pointless choices.

Sure, but they are still choices. If the next trilogy just regurgitates the plot of the previous films again, that's not going to work. Doing something new, even if not everyone will like it, is still a better choice than running around in circles.

Anyway, to get back on topic, have they actually confirmed a director for the next one or even that the next one is slated for 2022?

As of right now, Disney has dates reserved for Untitled Star Wars movies on the release schedule for December 2022, 2024 and 2026, but they have not confirmed what they are beyond that or the attachment of any creative team. I think they were supposed to be the Benioff/Weiss series before their recent departure. They could very well not make that date, but they're probably content to keep it on the schedule for the time being in order to prevent some other studio from claiming the date for a competing tentpole.

Last edited:

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Anyway, to get back on topic, have they actually confirmed a director for the next one or even that the next one is slated for 2022? It seems unlikely to me that a 2022 release date could be made at this time, since there hasn't been any further news to date.

Not 100% confirmation, but yes. Information should be coming in January.

Just because there's no news doesn't mean a director hasn't been signed yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks