What's new

Newbie with a question (1 Viewer)

AnnaMaria

Stunt Coordinator
Could someone please explain the different types of packaging that everyone talks about.

For instance I've seen the term digipack and I have no idea what that is.

Also what kind of packaging do you find to be the best.

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
I unfortunately cannot give an accurate discription on the cases... as long as I been collecting never could keep that stuff straight on the names that is...

I do belive digipacks is a cardboard case that folds out to reveal all the discs. when folded slides into a slipcase. These are used on shows like Buffy and Angel and many others.

I am sure someone here can correct me if I am mistaken.

As for the best type.. my favorite is... double slim cases in a slip case. they are thin plastic keepcases that holds a disc on each side of the case... and they slide into a cardboard slipcase to keep them together. This way a 6 disc set can fit in about the space of 2 to 3 regular keepcases. These are used on shows like Tru Calling and 21 Jump Street.

If I can't get those I am happy with the single slimcases... holding one disc each inside a slipcase. shows like Millennium and Charmed.

I don't really care for the digipaks or regular keepcases for multiple disc sets.

StacyV

Second Unit
You're right with your descriptions Pete, and I agree the double slimcases are the best. The Murder One set was my first look at a package with double slimcases. The six-disc set takes up not much more space than a standard movie case.

Another packaging style (though I'm not familiar if it has a specific name) is the "book" style pack that a lot of WB dramas are released in (Smallville, One Tree Hill, also the Freaks and Geeks standard edition).

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
For TV, I agree... double slim cases is choice #1. When your collection grows into several hundred DVDs, you begin to consider space requirements.

For movies, my favorite: two disc sets in a single sized case with plastic page insert... I (unlike some others) didn't mind the slim packaging of the original one disc Panic Room release, either. That case took slightly more than half of a normal case's space - yet the spine was still legible.

Worst cases: 2-up style (Pink Panther Collection, The Ten Commandments SE, MI-5 Season 2). This style is unfriendly to not only the discs, but the user as well. I've not heard of anything positive about these from consumers or reviewers, but studios keep using them.

Next worst: Digipacks. Lot's of unfolding requires that you have a long table nearby (or you open it on the floor). Additionally, some designs have hubs that release the discs when the closed, slipcased set is squeezed from the sides (Angel, Buffy, 24). The resulting floaters makes for an aggravting experience...

-Scott

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
Very helpful topic! I knew some of the styles, but I've been wondering about the detailed specifics myself...

One question still: What are "amaray" cases that I see mentioned here so often?

And, the "2-up" cases (likely the same ones Pete's asking about)...is that like the ones for Home Improvement S1? If so, I also do not care for them, at all!

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
I am confused a bit on Amaray cases myself..., but I think it is basically a style of keep case if I am not mistaken? not sure what it is about them that differ from the regular keep case though.

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda

That's why I'm confused. From all I've seen on the internet, they look like regular keepcases, so I was wondering what's the difference? I get the impression that Amaray is a specific manufacturer, and that there are different types of "Amaray" cases. Are all Amaray cases keepcases? Are all keepcases Amaray cases?

MattHR

Screenwriter
Amaray was a manufacturer that invented the standard black plastic DVD case commonly referred to as a "keepcase". The term was initially used to identify this style case, as an alternative to the standard CD "jewel" case that was offered as a packaging option in the early days of DVD.

The Amaray company was purchased a few years ago by Alpha, another plastics company. Alpha offered a competing case, but its hub was a hard knob that was not user-friendly. This hub design has since been phased out. The Alpha company has since changed its name to NexPak. They are the industry's leading DVD case supplier. They still manufacture the "keepcase" style for single and multi-disc sets, in addition to the new single and double "ThinPaks" used for many TV sets.

Alex-A

Stunt Coordinator
Its the same situation with the Digipaks. The case is named for the company that makes it.

Digipak

There are so many types of keepcases made today I prefer to simply use the keepcase term, as the Amaray thing (as proven here) confuses people. Not all keepcases are designed the same however. The style used in my X2 DVD are notorious for destroying the disc hub as a result of exsessive pressure when removing or replacing a disc. My disc 1 already has tiny cracks forming in the center despite my best efforts to prevent it.

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
Thanks for all the info! I had just wondered why some people tended to always use the term "amaray cases" instead of "keepcases", and what the difference was...and now I know...

My personal favorites are the double-disc thin packs in slipcases, like the Silk Stalkings S1 set. Perfect.

AnnaMaria

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks everyone for answering my question and a special thankyou for the link to pictures.

I was worried that I was asking a dumb question but no one made me feel stupid for asking.

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
The packaging that has annoyed me to no end so far are the ones with just the cardboard artwork and whatnot, with plastic frames and jewelcase-like setting inside.

I have found many of my DVDs dusty with these things, since the cardboard outsides do NOT seal. I dislike this lack of protection a great deal. :thumbsdown:

DavidofLondon

Stunt Coordinator
Personally my DVD collection is now getting large enough that I do think about shelf space. Not so much that I don't buy new DVDs (!!!), just enough so I like DVDs that don't take up too much space.

I like the book style digipaks, because I find them tidy and easy to use.

The ones I hate most are the snappers because when putting them on (and taking them off) my shelves the DVD can tend to catch on other DVDs particularly if the shelf is a little tight.

Large foldouts such as those used for Forever Knight are fine shelf space wise and look good with the extra artwork over the book style. But I find they can be a pain when I'm trying to watch a particular DVD and need a whole table to lay the pack out on to get at the DVD I want.

Andreas_K

Stunt Coordinator
I see why people complain that when you fold out a six disc Digipak, it takes up too much space. But do people really do that and if so how often (my theory: just once to look at all the artwork)? I only unfold half the box anway so digipaks are fine with me. Booklets are also nice but they are often left out these days.

Personally I don't like slimcases very much (and I have a pretty large collection so space is an issue). My point is that they look kind of cheap compared to a fold out digipak. I don't mind if they use them on affordable DVD releases like MacGywer but I would be upset if HBO would start using Slimcases for their highly priced sets. I gladly pay the price they ask but then I also want an elaborate box for my money.

In the end it always comes down to the quality of the show and whether it's intact on the current release - but to me packaging is a factor as well on how much I like the DVD set as a whole.

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
Andreas_k...
When it comes between Digipak and slimline cases I have to disagree with you. In my opinion, I would much rather see the slimline cases. First of all the plastic case is more durable then cardboard. I have many digipaks in my collection and some are already showing wear at the edges and creases. Plus with digipaks they need to add a booklet if they want to include an episode guide (or lose out on artwork space)... with the slimline that can be placed on the back of each slimeline case.

As for the artwork... I fon't really feel you lose out there either since you have all front and back covers to the slimcases as well as the slipcase compared to the panels and slipcase on digipaks...I would personally like to see slimline cases become the standard for all multidisc sets... takes up less room and is as durable as the regular keep cases. I don't think cardboard should be used for anything other then the slipcases... atleast in my opinion.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
The worst packaging for me is any kind of package where I must remove 1 disc in order to take out another. Those suck. Alf Season 1, Ultimate Matrix Collection, Murphy Brown...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks