Newbie troubles

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Cody_S, Nov 24, 2002.

1. Cody_S

Cody_S Auditioning

First I would like to say hi. This is my first time in here and it's great. I just got into home theater after I bought my wide screen. I didn't know much about it so I just bought a packaged set. Now its time to hook it up. I have 2 questions. First, how can I hook my tv up to play audio. I know how to do it from like a dvd player but I also want audio when im watching HBO or other movies. Can i just go from my audio out on my tv to say a cd in on the receiver? Also, im going to be needing alot of wire to run the audio/video from the receiver to the tv approx. 50ft of both. Is there anywhere I can get this without having to spend a fortune. So far all I have found is 12ft pieces I would have to connect together. Thanks guys and this forum is great.

2. Ryan Leemhuis

Ryan Leemhuis Second Unit

Yes you just hook the audio out on your tv to yourreceiver. I would try to move the receiver closer to the TV. Where is it that it needs a 50' cable?

3. Cody_S

Cody_S Auditioning

Well I was going to place the receiver on one wall where I have a large cabinet and run the wires up through the wall. After pricing this I've decided to make a temporary shelf so I can run component video instead of RCA type. Also what kind of cable should I use from the dvd to the receiver. I've heard digital coax cables and optical. Which one is better? Thanks guys.

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Welcome to the Forum Cody.

A heads up. If you ever need to run ultra long cables, rather than spend a fortune on cables, or rather then connect together 3 cables with couplers, try outdoor coax cable RG6. It has the twist on connectors (that you hook to a VCR or TV). Many stores have the F-RCA adaptors that simply screw onto each end of the RG6 cable giving you an instant (and very good) cable that you can use for audio.