What's new

My Home Theater System (Almost complete!) (1 Viewer)

BigMan

Agent
Real Name
John
Before I start, I'd like to thank a huge list of people for guiding me here. Although this project might seem small to most, it was a big deal for me, as it was my first time building something like this and well, it was a thousand bucks! I'd like to thank: Jason Charlton- For answering my various questions about speakers David Willow- Suggesting the receiver (which is awesome!) JohnRice- Taking the time to answer hundreds of questions about speakers, receivers, and connections, etc. gene c- For keeping up with my constant PMing and thousands of nooby questions. (it was as if he was there with me as I was setting up my speakers) Al.Anderson- Thanks for making choices easier :) And of course, to the rest of the HTForum who I was unable to thank individually. Anyways, my experience with HT: I'm 22 years old currently attending grad school. I set this up at my parents house. When I move out and get my own house, I'm definitely going to look for HT compatibility! Anyways, my HT theater consists of the following: Denon AVR-1611 7.1 --$270 BIC America F12 --$180 Polk Audio Monitor60 x2 --$220 (total) Polk Audio CS1 Series --$80 Logitech Harmony One --$160 I've been using the 3.1 setup for about 2 months. Just a few days ago, I bought the 2 rear satellite speakers: Polk Audio Monitor30 --$85 Installing the rear speakers is going to be the trouble. I will explain that in a bit. I was really hoping these speakers would be delivered by this weekend so I'd have the weekend. But then I just remembered...it's also the weekend for UPS. I will have to wait until next week to receive it and another few weeks to install it as I won't have time. After taxes and shipping and handling, it came out to about $1100. Anyways, a picture of the current setup As for the rear speakers, I have a problem. I can't just put the speakers in the back of this home theater due to there being a door in the way. However, I'm thinking about putting in the corner on top. See pictures below: The above picture is the wall opposite the TV As a result, I will have to run the wires as follows: From the receiver To the sides I will put an angled board in the corners to hang the speakers. My only problem is hiding the wires.I'm thinking about buying some decorative corner from home depot and running the wires that way or painting over it. I don't want to do any drilling and wire fishing as I'm really unexperienced with that and I don't think this house has room between the walls for that. Any suggestions? Also, if anyone has questions, I will be more than happy to address them. Especially if you are new and would like help/advice from a newby as well!

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Your system looks very nice - congratulations! As for running the rear wires, many people use the corner conduit, and it looks decent, so that's a fairly safe choice. Another option would be to get someone in to run the wire for you, they usually only have to remove a few 2" x 1/2" slices near the ceiling, so it paints over easily. Do you have a basement below the room? You could run it down the room below, and then just have to fish the wire up the wall at the ends, which is much easier. I'm sure you realize this by now, but just to cover the bases - your couch is against the wall, which gives you less then optimal placement of the surround speakers. So a final option is to call it a project and sttay with 3.1.

BigMan

Agent
Real Name
John
I'm going to put the speakers in the corners and angle them and point them towards a foot or two in front of the couch. Would that be a bad idea?would the surround speakers in that position not add to the experience at all?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
John,

Thanks for the update! Good to see you've made some great progress.

On the surround speaker placement issue - it's hard to tell from your pictures, but it looks like the sofa that faces the TV is a foot or two in front of the back wall. Is this correct? If it is, that offers a bit of added placement flexibility for the surrounds.

I think corner placement as you've suggested will certainly provide an enhancement to the soundfield, but you could also consider placing them on the side walls pointing straight out, a foot or two forward of the corners. This is actually the preferred location for surround speakers in a 5.1 configuration (see this placement guide from Dolby).

It's not an ideal setup, but I think it would be worth a try. You can fiddle with the setup/configuration on the Denon to try and optimize the speakers for the "sweet spot". You likely won't have a large sweet spot, and anyone sitting in the side chairs will get a pretty skewed soundfield no matter what, but for the main viewing area, I think you'll do OK.

BigMan

Agent
Real Name
John
Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately, that sofa is actually pressed up against the wall. I was considering putting the surround speakers as the dolby guide states for movies, and wrapping the wires up and putting the speakers away when not watching. But I figured that would be a bit too much of a hassle. I'm thinking I'll just put them up on the corner and angle them in the best way possible. The only problem is running the wires. But as long as I'm better with the speakers than without and the surrounds give some sort of "immersion" into the movie to most viewers in the room, then I'll be happy. So far, I have bought the following: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=100-041&FTR=100-041 Other stuff to buy from the list: Double sided tape Clamps, if there is a design/color that is not as visible 4 pieces of triangular wood to screw into the corner walls to mount the speakers to. I'll have to do some math and calculate the best sizes/angles for them. My challenges are to make these wires as less visible as possible or if they are visible, to make them as decorative as possible. One thing I will be doing is painting the wires the same color as my wall. Hopefully that is all I have to do with it :) I'll be sure to take pictures and make a write up for anyone else wanting to do this.

BigMan

Agent
Real Name
John
The satellite speakers are up on the walls, angled correctly, wires are inconspicuously hidden. No drills, or cutting of the walls. Just spent about $10 at home depot to get the proper equipment and an hour of Friday night running the speaker wires. Pictures and a how to upcoming!

BigMan

Agent
Real Name
John
sorry about my delay. I will make a new post on monday evening. I have been a bit busy for the past few weeks,

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
derekbd
Recent bookmarks