What's new

Newbie Subwoofer Question - which one? (1 Viewer)

jay mitch

Auditioning
I live in a relatively small Manhattan apartment. I need a subwoofer to compliment a Sony mini system. My mini system is just like the Sony MHC-ZX70DVD (I don't know the model number off hand). Anyway, it has DTS, Dolby Digital, etc. It has 2 bookshelf speakers (getting 100 watts each) and 3 surround sound speakers (getting 25-50 watts each). I know that it sucks, but it's only temporary (hopefully!).

I just bought the Yamaha YST-SW015 (8-Inch - 70 watts RMS). I'm not sure if I like it though. I got it for $85. Then, I saw the Velodyne VX 10 (10 inch - 100 watts) for $150. I'm wondering if I should "trade-up." I definitely don't want to spend more than $150. (This is just a temporary fix).

1. Does anyone think that there will be a significant difference? I listened to both of them in the store under less than optimal conditions, and I thought the Velodyne was a bit boomy. But, as stated, this may have been a result of the conditions.

2. Also, since the Yamaha is brand new, will it sound much better when it is broken in?

Also, I ran out of audio cable, and I've been using a S-video cable (believe it or not).

3. Will changing this make much of a difference (I used an audio cable at first and didn't hear much of a difference with the s-video cable (I'm using the s-video cable b/c it's longer)).

4. If I need a new cable, do I need a subwoofer cable, or will regular radio shack speaker wire work?

Keep in mind that the room in which this will be used is about 12ft by 12ft or so. It's being used for 80% movies and 20% music. (36" Panasonic flat tube HDTV ready).

Thanks for your help.

cabreau

Second Unit
Many people suggest the HSU-something for a cheap alternative to the two subs taht you just mentioned. Look around and you may find some info.

I wouldn't bother upgrading from a an 8-inch 70watt to a 10-inch 100 watt sub.

TosH

Agent
1. I'm sure you'd notice a difference between those two subs. Personally, I don't think the difference warrants dishing out almost double the price of the Yamaha.

2. Doubtful. There may be a slight change but nothing in the neighborhood of what you're probably looking for.

3. Uh, how the hell did you manage to hook up the sub using an S-video cable? I'm actually really curious ;) Anyhow, spend a few bucks and pick up some regular speaker wire. For simplicity's sake, I'd use the largest gauge that will fit all the clips in your system. If you didn't hear a difference before, you probably won't hear one now. But since I have no idea how you wired up the sub and speakers, I'll err on the side of caution. :D

4. Nothing fancy. Regular speaker wire from Home Depot will do just fine.

Personally, I'd return that 8" Yammy and upgrade to a 12" Sony SA-WM500 or the 10" Dayton mentioned previously for your price range. They're far better subs for only a few bucks more than what you paid for the Yammy.

jay mitch

Auditioning
The S-Video cable has RCA connections, just like a subwoofer cable.

As for the Dayton, which one? Also, is it a DIY? I'm not that handy, so I'm not really trying to build anything.

Mike^C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
The $130 Dayton is prebuilt already. Its the $350 and up Titanic kits that you have to build.

AllanN

Supporting Actor

You defiantly can't go wrong with the Dayton 10" for the price. It will fill out your system allot more. I listen at about REF-15db and have not bottomed the sub out yet. For an apartment HT on a budget its a good choice. Bonus free S&H.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks