What's new

Newbie reciever question (1 Viewer)

Brian Elwood

Stunt Coordinator
OK - I have the speaker for my 7.1 HT set. NOW a question about receiver's.

I have a Yamaha RX-520. Nothing great but it works.

What would a new higher priced receiver do for me. Better sound quality? I don't need any more power.
I'm just curious. What is the difference between receiver's.

BTW - currently
Infinity Entra's Fronts
SVS 20-39PCi
Paridgm ADP-170s surround

John S

Senior HTF Member
That is a pretty nice AVR, not sure exactly what your asking here though?

If it is a 6.1 AVR, I'd go ahead and just hook the two rear 7.1 speakers to the same single rear 6.1 output. This gives you nearly ever single advantage of 7.1 without having to change your AVR....

If your AVR is 5.1 only, then a new avr would give you true 6.1 / 7.1 capability. Maybe DPLII / DTS Neo:6 as a couple of new usefull sound modes as well perhaps.

An RX-520 Yammy is still a totally respectable AVR in my book, both sound and power wise.

Brian Elwood

Stunt Coordinator
Let's say I had $600 to burn.

My question is/was - what would I get out of a more expensive reciever besides more power. Better sound? More bells and whistles?

Charlie C

Stunt Coordinator
"$600 to burn. "

IMHO - save your $. $600 wont get you anywhere close to a 'new level' of appreciation. I see AV/HT gear as a progression.
1) entry level receiver $300-$1000
2) flagship receiver $900-$4000
3) seperates $?-$?

if you just WANT new bells and whisltes, do searches online and see whats available. I dont recomend Crutchfield to purchase thru, but their web site has loads of info, and they carry many units and brands too to do some comparitave shopping. Do you know of any feature that you would like to have? or are you just feeling upgraditis?

DanJV

Grip
Agree with everyone here. Depends on what you want.

Most recent entry level AVRs will net you DPL IIx and entry level build, sound quality and power.

Move up the ladder to mid level ($1,000-$1,500) and you'll get THX (select) certification, some sort of Auto EQ, maybe i-link, better shielding and build quality and even more power.

Top end AVRs $2,500-$4,000 net you THX Ultra or Ultra2, even more power, best build quality, i-link (for some), maybe DVI/HDMI switching and top of the line Auto EQ.

You'll find a debate on whehter separates or top line AVRs give you the "best bang for the buck".

IMHO, the top AVRs on the market are the Elite 59 TXi or the Yamaha Z9. Some will throw in the Sherwood NC 965 into that mix.

Hope that answers the question.

Brian Elwood

Stunt Coordinator
yup - answered all questions. Thanks

I DON'T have 600 to spend but was wondering what I was missing.

DanJV

Grip
Go to authorized on-line Marantz dealer (Accessories 4 Less) for an SR7400 ($669). Probably the best sounding piece at your price point.

Or, lots of buzz surrounding Pioneer's 1014 to be a thinly disguised Elite 52TX. It'll cost you about $400-$450 on line from an authorized dealer.

Just a couple of suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks