What's new

Newbie question (1 Viewer)

ScottMc

Agent
I am finally getting rid of my Bose Acoustimass 10 setup, and am in the market for replacements. My budget is ~$800 for the front speakers. I already have a Klipsch SCC1 Center channel, and I am leaning towards the Klipsch RF-35s after auditioning the Infinity Alpha series, Boston Acoustics, and KEF. Any others I should consider?

Thanks

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
One of the most important things in considering your front three speakers is that they be timbre matched—that is they should sound like one another, so that the sound does not change as the action sweeps across the screen. While this is important for the surrounds as well, it is of paramount importance for your front three speakers.

Klipsch speakers are well known for their distinctive sound. Since you already have a Klipsch center speaker, I’d strongly suggest that your other speakers should be Klipsch as well.

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
As Lew already mentioned, timbre matching is very important in a home theater. Even though you have a Klipsch center and you're looking at buying more Klipsch, they are not going to be timbre matched. The center you have is from the Synergy series and the fronts you're looking at are from the Reference series. Unless you plan to later upgrade to a Reference series center, I wouldn't recommend the mismatch.

BTW, for more specific Klipsch information, there is an active Klipsch forum at Klipsch's website.

ScottMc

Agent
Thanks. Any other brands that sound good for around the same price range as RF-35s?? I would consider replacing my center channel as $$ permit. So far I was planning the RF-35s and a KSW-12 for the low range.

Any inputs?!? JBL? B&W? Others?

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
If you are considering eventually replacing your center speaker, there are many excellent speakers in the $800/pair range.

But most (perhaps all) will not be a match for your current center. If you are willing to live with this imperfection for a while (and I think that a gradual upgrade path that allows for eventual higher quality is a sound decision), then here are some things to consider.
If you like the Klipsch sound, I’d recommend staying with that line. But of course spend some time listening to their models in your price range to insure that you are happy (and make a few comparisons)

If you are not that happy with the Klipsch horn sound, you might consider some of the internet lines. Axiom, Ascend and the Onix Rockets all have some fine offerings in this price range. You can get a pair of Rocket bookshelves (RS250 models) for about $700 or their floor standing RS550s for $900. Ascend and Axiom have very good models in this price range as well, but I can’t remember their model numbers.

They are all very different than the Klipsch sound.

Jass G

Auditioning
My parents owned a pair of Energy speakers

I forgot the model number but they were good. I remember they paid 699.99 for those speakers. I have listened to the V6 and i believe those old speakers were pretty much the same quality.

Honestly i am not a Klipsch fan. I don't find anything speacial from those.

I have been extensively listening to KEF, JBL, MBQuart and Energy speakers. I kinda lean to MB Quart and JBL.

But ppl are saying MBQ is better than JBL, oh well. I am still saving up my $$$

Hope this helps a little.

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
Scott,

You might also want to see if you can find the predecessor to the RF-35, the RF-3II. I haven't heard the new RF-35's, but word from some of the moderators at the Klipsch forum say the sound is similar. I suggest this because since it's been replaced you might be able to find them cheap. The matching center is the RC-3II and the surrounds are the RS-3II(BTW, these are what I own).

As much as I love my Klipsch, I'm not too big a fan of their subwoofers(especially the KSW series). Most here will tell you to look at SVS, and for good reason. IMO, nothing beats their bang for the buck(except building your own). The KSW-12 was my 1st sub and it did me well, only because I hadn't heard of SVS. Besides SVS, there still are other subs to look at from companies such as Hsu Research and Adire Audio.

ScottMc

Agent
Thanks for all the advice guys. I am finding out buying new speakers is a very trying exercise...

Frank Carter

Screenwriter

It all depends on budget, room size, listening preference(do you want it to go as low or loud as possible?).

If you're looking at the KSW-12, the SVS 25-31PCi is the cheapest powered subwoofer they have at $549. It will best the KSW-12 in any category you can think of.

SVS also sells a passive(w/out amplifier) version of all their cylinder subs. If you happen to have a spare amp channel or an old receiver you're not using you can save money and use that to power the subwoofer. My brother has gotten great results using only 100w to his clone of the original SVS 16-46CS.

One amp I recommend checking out is the Rythmik 350w plate amp. This brings you like $30 cheaper than the 25-31PCi and you get two extremely important features only the more expensive SVS' have. First is a subsonic filter(adjustable), use this to filter out the frequencies below the tuning point(25hz) to prevent bottoming out the woofer and damaging it. Second, it adds a continously variable phase knob instead of the toggle switch on the SVS amp, this will make integrating the sub into your system easier.

Before you go off an buy something from them, I highly recommend you give them an email. Their customer service is second to none and they've always responded to my numerous email within hours(and the responses you get are from the owners). They are honest and will not try to oversell you.

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
Also check the Hardware for sale/trade forum here because people are always upgrading. SVS also has a B-Stock section where they sell returns but it's rare something is in there and when it is there it's gone in a snap.

ScottMc

Agent
I can get the RF-35s for $750 a pair which seems cheaper than most on-line place. I will try to get them for lower, but I think this is a fair price considering they retail for $1000.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks