What's new

Newbie question: digital audio, better coax or optical? (1 Viewer)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Digital is digital, but optical goes through an additional conversion. Could the average human hear the difference? Doubt it.
------------------
All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
to live beyond it's income.
ITRCA ** Link Removed (sorry, car guy)

Eric Stuckey

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric Stuckey
Here is somthing that you dint ask, but is SO inportain.
Do not go cheep on a/v cables.The more you spend ,the better.I like Kember Kable for all use's.Speaker wire too.
Monster cable is good but there are many more that are even beter.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
If you have a choice, the coaxial connection tends to be cheaper and simpler. (That thin, optical cable looks like it is going to get beat-up by all those thicker cables :) )
Some magazines have reported little difference in sound using several different coaxial cables, but they heard a difference among some optical cables they were testing. They could never explain this. My personal theory is that one or two of the optical cables were damaged or had mis-aligned connectors.
Another member hooked up a Radio Shack optical cable, then a Monster version and shined the output onto a piece of paper. The Monster optical cable was clearly brighter. (note: too-bright can also be a problem). This does not say Monster is "better" than Radio Shack, just that consistancy is not very good with optical cables.
Note: You Do know that you can use a Video cable for the coaxial-digital connection? The people who wrote the SPDIF specification wanted you to be able to buy a very common cable, so they specified a 75 ohm Video cable. You dont need a cable that says "Digital" on the package or have little arrows on the jacket.
Hope this helps.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
quote: The more you spend ,the better.
-------------------------------------------
I can't agree with that. Terrible advice in my opinion.[/quote]
I agree. BAD advice. Kimber is a good example too. Waste of money for speaker cable, IMO.
[Edited last by John Garcia on September 17, 2001 at 05:15 PM]

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
This subject is very 'controversial' among HT enthusiasts...
Im a believer in BITS ARE BITS... Sending 1s and 0s over a plastic cable with light will be the same as sending 1s and 0s over wire with electricity...
Optical Cables -> Sound the same as -> Digital Coaxial Cables -> Which EQUALS -> Composite video cable
Yes, a well shielded RCA Yellow composite video cable is the same as a Shielded Digital Coaxial cable

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks