Newbie question on cables needed to hook everything up

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Doug J, Feb 25, 2004.

1. Doug J

Doug J Auditioning

First off, I love the forum. I've been reading as much of the FAQ and primer as I can to soak up some info.

My question concerns the specific equipment that I'll be using and what kinds of cables I'll need to hook everything up. I'm purchasing a new home soon and therefore won't be able to hook everything up until I move in next month, but in the meantime I wanted to gather up everything I'll need.

I know how everyone frowns upon the HTIB systems, but I decided on one, and having never experienced an advanced home theater setup before, I'm sure it will be more than enough for me right now. I went with the panasonic SCHT900 which has a dvd player built into the receiver. I realize having a stand alone receiver and dvd player would give better results, but at least this way I won't have to worry about running cables btwn the two components.

For video I went with the 57" Toshiba 57H83 HD RPTV. I was really impressed with the picture on it and it seemed like the best TV for me.

I haven't decided on an HD source just yet, both satellite and cable have their pros and cons. So, along with the HTIB system and tv, I'll also have either a satellite receiver or cable box. So, the task at hand is getting the cables necessary to make these 3 components work together. I know there are probably different configurations that will work, but I'm not sure if the one I've thought of will.

One thing I'm unsure of is whether separate cables need to be used when handling a digital signal vs. an analog one. For instance, the tv has a DVI input, which I know handles the digital video signal, but is an RCA coax cable into the tv also necessary to handle the analog video signal? If so, then I'm assuming the same goes for the audio hookups.

This is one method I've thought of to hook everything up, assuming what I mentioned above is correct:

*from the cable box to the TV
    1. DVI cable for the digital/HD video signal
    2. Coax RCA cable for the analog video signal

*from cable box to HTIB
    1. Optical digital cable for digital audio (this is necessary because the receiver only has one digital input, which happens to be an optical one)
    2. Dual Coax RCA cable for analog audio signal

*from HTIB to TV
    1. Component video cables for the dvd player digital video signal

This is what I've come up with, and I may be way off. Is this setup possible, and is it the best way to set things up? Or is there another possibility that might yield better results? Thanks in advance.

-Doug

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Doug,

Look for Bob McElfresh’s thread, “How to hook your new HT receiver” at our Tweaking, Connections and Accessories Forum. It’s at the top of the index page.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

that looks about right.

you'll have to run the dvi/component cabling directly to the tv, since your htib (i think) won't have that ability.

run everything else (audio) into the htib and i think you're all set.

4. Doug J

Doug J Auditioning

Thanks guys. This method I'm using apparently won't allow me to have any audio from the tv's speakers, but I figure that's why I have the surround sound.

Another quick question, I did some window shopping yesterday to price a DVI cable and was amazed at how expensive they are compared to component cables. Is the picture quality better enough with the DVI vs. component cables to justify the price difference? Am I better off just using component cables to handle all the digital video duties?

Thanks again.

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

why do you need audio from the tv, when you have your cable-box going to the htb? you should be okay.

as far as dvi connections go, i'm a fan. i use them in my setup and was happy with the results. the picture did *seem* better then using components, but i knew which cables i was using. some day i'll have to do a blind test.

my suggestion is to simply buy the dvi cable and see for yourself. just make sure you can return the thing if necessary.

6. Doug J

Doug J Auditioning

yep, the HTIB will just take care of all the audio... not a big deal in my book. I think I'm going to go ahead and get the DVI cable vs. the components. Anyone have any recommendations about a quality DVI cable for a good price. best buy wanted to sell me one (monster I think) for $100! I know there must be ones out there with equal quality for less than half that.

7. robert_delpozo

robert_delpozo Auditioning

I go the same Monster DVI400 they sell at Best Bey for $100.00 plus tax on ebay for $79.99 including free shipping. Just do a search on Ebay on the following.
    Monster Cable DVI400-2M DVI Cable Free Ship