What's new

Newbie question about component cables? (1 Viewer)

Sotiris

Auditioning
Hi, this is my first and probably most newbile post i'll ever post out of all the different discussion boards I belong to but here it goes...

I just bought a Sony Wega KV-27FS100L (an upgrade from a thirteen year old sharp with only one coaxial connection mind you) and I love the clarity I get on all the different components like my xbox, ps2, and dvd player. I have the xbox connected through s-video and I noticed very slight improvement over regular old composite cables. My dvd player looks great, mostly because im used to watching things on my crappy old sharp, and I was wondering If i got component cables, would the picture improve considerably. I was planning on buying monster cables but if the improvement is as slight as it was with the xbox going to s-video, I would rather save my 70 or 80 bucks. Any input would be much appreciated and I thank you in advance.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Sotiris. Welcome to HTF! :)

I'm suprised you did not see a DRAMATIC improvement with SVideo over Composite.

Try this: use your DVD player and hook up both SVideo and Composite. Find a scene with lots of bright, contrasting colors and intersecting lines. Freeze the scene.

Toggle back and forth between Composite and SVideo. Look at how solid the colors are and look for "dot-crawl" on straight lines. The SVideo signal should look a lot better (unless that TV has a great comb filter).

Home Theater magazine compared all 3 video types on a "Reference" 50 inch RPTV. They concluded:

Composite - baseline quality
SVideo - 20% improvement over Composite
Component - 25% improvement over Composite

They noted that the difference was LESS for smaller screen sizes and GREATER if the display was larger.

So it looks like only a small improvement going component.

However: one of our moderators had a bedroom television, 27-inch or so. He was using a SVideo cable to a DVD player. One day he had a spare Component cable and he tried it - he saw a noticible improvement in color and clarity.

So it kind of depends. Try picking up a component cable and use your DVD player and SVideo and do your own A/B comparison.

Hope this helps.

Sotiris

Auditioning
Hey thanks alot Bob, I really appreciate your help. I found this site by chance and I read a few threads and just knew someone would help. I figure I'm going to get the cables anyway. Even if I dont really see much difference I could always use extra cables, and these component cables will eventually replace the old composite cables. Thanks again for your great and prompt response.:emoji_thumbsup:

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Get component cables, but don't pay the huge markup for Monster!!! Any Xbox component cables should do. An upgrade to premium cables (although not over-priced monster) is debateably worth it on big screens and higher end equipment, but it is DEFINITELY overkill on a 27". Stick with basic component cables of some sort.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member

I have to tell you that I find the Microsoft Advanced AV pack (which breaks out the XBox into component jacks) to be very poor quality. The wires are very thin and I suspect not well shielded or the proper 75 ohm cable. The RCA plugs are cheap/audio grade plugs and the little plastic break-out box is obviously not shielded or designed with Progressive or HD video in mind.

You get a lot for the $20 - but it's not really designed for the 480p/720 that the XBox can produce.

As much as I steer people away from Monster, the Monster XBox cables are the only ones I have found that appear to be well designed for the job. It's a single-cable construction, made with good mini-RG59 coax and gives you a un-broken path between the XBox and your TV.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
You should be able to get the Monster THX ones for a bit cheaper if you look at Circuit City. They are far superior than the cheapo ones that come with the Xbox and also far superior to Rat Shack and Ge which others might recommend for the $$. They are also cheaper than Rat Shacks..

Component cables made just a big difference to me and my wife, she endorsed the upgrade immediately. Personally I'd rather buy them now even if the improvment was minimal and be prepared for the future when you will want them even more.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I'll take Bob's comments on the Xbox cables (own almost everything but an Xbox). I was speaking more from general a/v and videogame familiarity (I have a Gamecube & DVD changer hooked up via component). If the 1st part Xbox component cables suck, I will take you guys' word for it. Still, $70 for component cables????

I wouldn't feel that the upgrade is worth $70 on a 27" TV, or that the improvement between the cheap Xbox cables and the monster is worth the extra $50.

I would probably admit it worth it if you were running an HDTV, or a progressive (HD-type) capable display, but I personally wouldn't think the component upgrade is worth it for $70!! Not unless you were talking bigger screen or progressive display.

On my projector maybe it could be justified. Still, I'd hesitate. Perhaps you should buy both and to a few a/b comparisons.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Dave,
One thing to note is that he might not be using a 27" for long. I try to think long term here. Still the Monster THX ones for $40 would not be a reach IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks