What's new

Newbie Outlander seeking receiver/seperates speaker advice. (1 Viewer)

RickLe

Stunt Coordinator
I've been lurking this forum for quite some time and I must say it has turned out to be the most professional of all audio forums I've found.

My question has a dual fold purpose that borders on two different groups but hopefully it fits better here.

I've been wanting to upgrade my system...like BAD! After compiling a stash of "Man Cash" away from the prying eyes of the wife and kids I'm raring to go! (So far a little over $3k)

Because I live in northwest Montana I don't have the the opportunity to demo too many product so I'm relying on the help of my new found friends. I currently have a Denon AVR2400 with Infinity Overture 2's, and last fall picked up a Paradigm CC to test out. I thought I had it all figured out, I was going to go with a Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX and a set of Paradigm 40's and 20's (v.2) to match my center and I'd been done. Well now after hanging out here for awhile I'm really contemplating the Outlaw 950/7100 combo, anyone here do any demoing of the two and have a comparison to go by? It seems to me the Pioneer would be hands down better for processing due to the chipsets and processors present but the Outlaw seems to have the ability to hold it's own and would produce an overall better sound. But of course this is just going off what I read.

Then I had a problem with Paradigm, nobody will sell to me. Hard to believe huh? When I bought my center I had to get permission from Paradigm for an Oregon based Hi-Fi store to sell one. I keep telling them I don't have a dealer in my area. There's two within 400 miles but they don't even have stores and have to special order Paradigm. Then I find out the one store Paradigm will let me purchase from doesn't have the v.2's. Well Paradigm's customer service is terrible to say the least IMO. So I started thinking about the Ascends. But is the Outlaw just a little too much for the Ascends to handle? Wouldn't there be a better paring for the Outlaw? I don't want tweeter, and cones to be sitting in my lap on my first go around. I really do want a set of speakers that can handle some power.

So if anyone out there in audiophile land has some good advice I'd greatly appreciate it...because this forum does ROCK!

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
I think the Ascend/Outlaw combo will be fine. Best thing to do is give Ascend a call and ask their opinion, they are straight forward and honest.

RickLe

Stunt Coordinator
Outlaw thought the Paradigms would pair better and gave me a choice of others but I would end up purchasing the v.3's and I must admit I did find someone willing to sell them to me at a discount but still it'd be more than the Ascends.

I'm just wondering if Pioneer/Ascend combo would be better than the Outlaw/Ascend or Paradigm combo. Would the Ascends hold their own up against the Paradigms?

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
I compared the Ascends up to the Studio 40...and IMHO, the Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 more than holds its own.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Yup....Axioms are good speakers as well. IMHO, more detail in the top end, brighter, but not quite as balanced all around. It is all a matter of tastes. I would also put them up against the Paradigms.

RickLe

Stunt Coordinator
Curtis, some say the Ascends are an ugly speaker but they look pleasing to me. What I think are ugly are the stands. Have you seen or heard of any that are a little more aesthetically pleasing?

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
You can shop around for different stands at a lot of places. I don't use stands....my actually sit on a shelf.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
I'll second Curtis in calling David or Jason at Ascend and asking them which would pair better with the Ascends and then make your decision. I'd also find out if the guys at Ascend and Outlaw have heard them mated or are just speculating.

I own Ascend 170s and I'm looking to Outlaw separates as my next upgrade. I've come to the conclusion that separates is the way to go so that when the next format(ie 5.1,7.1, ?.?, Pro Logic III) comes around the processor is the only thing to replaced. If more channels of amplification are needed then you can add mono blocks.

Please post for us how this turns out. I'm very interested.

BTW-- The 170s destroyed my Paradigm Mini-Monitors but I haven't listened to the the Studios to be able to comment there. The 170s are warmer and more detailed then the Mini-Monitors. If they are warmer than the Studio line I'd say they'd be a better match to the Outlaws from what I've read of Outlaw. I have not heard the Outlaw though. If you go to the Outlaw community boards there are many happy Paradigm/Outlaw combo owners there.

If you haven't spent any time at the Outlaw community boards. I give it high marks for helpfulness, lack of audio snobbery, and self policing.

RickLe

Stunt Coordinator
I'm pretty sure I'll be going the Ascend/Outlaw way. Since I don't have the opportunity to demo alot of different equipment I put in alot of long nights researching so hopefully I'll be pulling the trigger soon, and I'll definitely let you all know.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
Curtis on a SHELF? And you call yourself an audio enthusiast. That's it I'm not responding to you anymore. What is next? Buying from a net direct company? Or using zip cord? Maybe you'll sink low enough that you buy a refurb or "b" stock to soil your set-up. ;)

I'm telling Mad Dog on you. You're going to be out of the L.A. audio mafia.:D

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
I have to admit I've got shielded speaker wire the size of a garden hose from AV123. But the rest is true for me too.

RickLe

Stunt Coordinator
That's another thing, I've got to run wire and I've went from 12g to $$ monster cable five years ago and I didn't see any improvment.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
"That's another thing, I've got to run wire and I've went from 12g to $$ monster cable five years ago and I didn't see any improvement."

Nor can audiophile experts. If you search round you can find a few double blinds for speaker wire and interconnects(outside of the throw away freebies that come with your equipment) were audiophiles were humbled by there inability to tell any difference. But, don't suggest wires are snake oil to believers unless you want to be torn apart. Audio shops make huge money on them so they aren't interested in debunking the wire theories.

Just make sure you get quality 12g zip that won't corrode.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
"Home Depot 12g for me. Have you noticed a difference with the BIG speaker wire?"

Oh absolutely...it looks really cool and every notices it. Also, I never had to leave my home to get it. ;)

RickLe

Stunt Coordinator
WOOHOO! Just thought I'd update this thread...I've now entered into the Ascend realm. Appreciate the replies. Read some reviews Curtis had posted and called David. I even called him ten minutes after closing (this was to psych me up), I figured if someone answered the phone it was meant to be. And answer David did. Great to talk to, easy going, and now I'm just waiting. I went with the 340 center, 170's front and back and the HSU VTF-3 sub. The HSU sub is on back order but I should have my set up by the end of the month.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks