What's new

Newbie needs home theater recommendation $600-$700 (1 Viewer)

pnut

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
Buying a Vizio 47" XVT HDTV this week, and want a home entertainment system to go with it. Budget is $600-$700 max.

- I had my heart set on an all in one system, but I am open to suggestions. I like having DVD, Receiver, amp, ipod dock all in one. At least right now, I do not understand the advantage of a component sytem with a DVD player added on (enlighten me?).

I also don't want multiple remotes and tons of stacked units. The all in one appealed to me since it was one unit, one remote. (I will be using the Dish network remote for basic functions of the TV anyhow).

- I will watch HDTV over dish network, and occasionally watch movies. I am not a movie buff or audiphile. I am replacing a 35" tube TV with 6 year old DVD player, and no stereo, so anything I buy will be light years ahead of what I have.

It must have 5.1 with wireless rear speakers. I don't need blu-ray, so that is not an important factor. It must be receiver/stereo with Ipod dock.

So far, I have only been looking at lower end $400 Samsung and Panasonic all in one systems, which seem nice, but I'm thinking I could get alot more for a few $hundred more.

If it matters, I have some very good quality Advent speakers (pair) tower speakers to use. I was hoping to start from scratch though to get a matching system. As good as these speakers are, they probably would not match up to a new system well. I also have an older high end Sony receiver / amplifier. These items were state of the art 10 years ago.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You would be surprised at how good the older, high quality speakers were. Advent has always been a quality brand. They will probably sound much better than the lesser quality speakers that come in a home theater in a box (HTiB).

-Robert

pnut

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
Thanks very much for taking the time to reply, I certainly appreciate your input.

So how could I incorporate these into a 5.1 system? If I buy any 5.1 system, it comes with sub, center front, and rear speakers already (in a matched set). The only way I can see is old style (cable from TV out to amp, then from amp to speakers). This would be good, but not at all digital and certainly only front channels.

Buckethead78

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
I would recommend separates as well. They give you more options to upgrade in the future.

Most receivers now come with some sort of "universal" style remote, so you should be OK there. If not, get a Harmony remote (even used off ebay they are a great value).

I would stay away from wireless speakers, they may create more problems than they cure. If you really don't want to run wires, look at a the new "soundbar" designs. They do a fairly good job of recreating surround sound from 1 speaker.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'd only use the Advents with separate components. You could probably find a good 5.1 receiver in the For Sale section now. I saw one this morning for $50. Add an Advent center if you can find one. Later add rears and a sub.

And buckethead brings up a good point. Most of the wireless speakers work on the same frequencies as your wireless phones and routers. And forget about running the microwave while watching a movie. Do you have an attic, basement or crawlspace where you can run wires? If you have carpet, then you can use flat wire.

-Robert

bobec

Auditioning
Real Name
Bob Ecker
I have the 47inch XVT too, nice buy and has been a great tv. I was thinking about getting something set up for the surround too. Did some research and now wish I could remember where I saw it but I saw that Vizio is coming out with a speaker bar at the end of November. Don't know about you but I've been very impressed with their stuff and think I'll check that out. Obviously that's only one component, but figured I'd put it out there.

TIGRomkey

Auditioning
Real Name
Grant
pnut... I feel that i have to say something... we seem to have very similar attitudes... but at different times...

Almost a year ago I replaced my 20 year old 26'' TV with a 52'' LCD - absolutely love it... at the same time a bought a home theatre in a box - then I found this site - hindsight tells me that I should have gone the component route... There is no denying that the set up I have now is light years ahead of what I had - the problem is that affordable add ons are just around the corner... and I don't have the ability to take advantage of them...

One last warning - if you go HTiB - make sure that it has a digital input for audio... I was not aware of that when I bought mine - paid $700 and found out all that digital sound that comes out of my satellite receiver has no where to go...

Best of luck...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks