What's new

Newbie: Need help connecting speakers to Yamaha 5280 reciever! (1 Viewer)

I just got a yamaha 5280 reciever and I am trying to hook up my speakers to it. Now I have the speaker wire going into the speaker, but when I try to put it in the reciever it does not stay in there. Like I untighten one of the knobs, but then when I tighten it up w/the speaker wier in it, the speaker wire can pull right out. Can someone please help me out and tell me what I am doing wrong? Thanks.
-Drew
P.S. Yes, the wire is stripped at the top. PLZ HELP!

Mike_Ped

Second Unit
Make sure you have enough stripped and your not getting some plastic in there with it. If that doesnt work, get some banana plugs and make your life easier :)
Mike

Joseph_W

Stunt Coordinator
Drew,
Are you using small gage wire? If so, you may have the same problem terminating into the banana plug suggested above (a good idea). When I had a similar problem with smaller wire, I stripped the wire twice as long then folded the stripped wire back onto itself and inserted this larger wire into the connection. Maybe this will work.
Joe

LoL I am so dumb. Let's just say I wasn't doing the right thing all along. Now it's working fine though, and everything looks and sounds INCREDIBLE!!
-Drew

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Let me guess: you were sticking speaker wire straight into the back of the binding post (where a banana plug should go)? He he. That's as good as the time I panicked when my just-purchased Yamaha would not turn on. (The remote was battery-challenged). :)
I hate trying to thread 12 ga wire through the SIDE holes in the binding posts. I discovered the dual-banana and 2-piece banana plugs from Radio Shack. Easy to attach and shove it into the holes.
Note: wiring the speaker wires is one place where neatness counts. You do not want ANY little threads of copper sticking out or it could cause a short. (If you are lucky, the receiver will over-heat and turn-off with a PROTECT message). I use the dual-bananas behind my speakers, and the 2-piece ones behind my receiver (because the dual-bananas stick out nearly 3 inches and will not fit).
Good Luck.

Heh, I didn't get either of those. I ended up gettin the ND310's and the N-Center speaker. MAN does this soudn good. They didn't have the sub I wanted or the rears, so I held off on those for now.
_Drew

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks