What's new

Newbie Looking At Recievers (1 Viewer)

Lee M T

Second Unit
Hello everyone. My name is Lee and I'm a newbie to the forum and perhaps a few levels above newbie when it comes to home theater. I'm looking for a new receiver. I apologize in advance for the length. I'm guilty for being overly detailed when I research things.

First I'll let you know what I am planning to do with this future system.

Besides my new TV (Sony 27" FD Trinitron WEGA Flat Screen) this will be, basically, the start of my home theater endeavor. I do currently have an old Pioneer receiver and some floor speakers. The floor speakers will be used by the new receiver until I replace them as well as add the rest of the speaker setup at a later date.

For this receiver, I don't really listen to the tuner much and I don't listen to CD's a whole lot either. I also don't watch movies very often. I mainly just watch sporting events and play video games. I have two of the three game consoles now and the third later. So I range in everything from DD/DTS/DPLII/DPL. I also have Optical Digital capabilities.

So, I'm looking at receivers in the $499 range. So far the ones that have really caught my eye are the Denon AVR-1803 and the Onkyo TX-SR600. Both, I believe, have everything I need with room to spare for the future.

I have four questions:

1.) Onkyo claims 196Khz/24-bit DAC's for the left and right main speakers and 96Khz on the rest. The Denon has 96Khz on everything. Would the DAC's on the Onkyo really even make a difference? Or is this just a meaningless spec overall?

2.) The Denon's component video inputs/output, I believe, are rated at 27Mhz and the Oknyo has either 50 or 60Mhz. I don't have an HDTV now, but I probably will in the distant future. Should I be concerned with this?

3.) What are your thoughts between the battle of these two receivers?

4.) Is there anything else that I should consider?

Thanks very much!
Lee

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
How about considering the Pioneer 811 which is well under the $499 price point but has the features you're looking for.

Mine sounds great for both music and DVD's.

Alfer

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sitcomguy
Recent bookmarks