What's new

Newbie here! Have question about AR speakers (1 Viewer)

Guy_R

Auditioning
I am planning on buying my first system and I would very much appreciate it if some you more experienced folks could help me out.
After a few weeks of research, this is what I am leaning towards purchasing.
Acoustic Research speakers.
AR4C center channel
ARS112ps subwoofer
AR215ps Book shelves for Mains and rears.
Onkyo TX-DS595
I can get the speakers from JandR for $548 delivered.
I have a small room and would like to keep the cost as far under a grand as I could with still getting something nicer that an "in the box" model.
Do you think these speakers will work well together and with the Onkyo?
Thanks.

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
first off, welcome :)
make sure you talk J&R down from their $399 price on the Onkyo 595 to $359. they'll go that low!
i dont know how good AR is at making subs. if you want budget subs, Sony is the way to go. check out the SA-WM40. it's usually good and cheap (~$150) and great bang for the buck.
i was gonna recommend the JBL Northridge series (their 5-speaker set is $299 from J&R _shipped_), but i'm not familiar with AR's speakers, so i'll leave this for someone else.
good luck!

Vin

Supporting Actor
I'm using AR The Edge speakers for surrounds and am very satisfied with the sound of them....the price was right too at $142 delivered, for the pair.
On the other hand, I don't think much of AR subs....from my experience it doesn't seem to take much to bottom them out. If you're on a budget the Sony sub that Thomas suggested is an excellent choice. Matched with the Onkyo 595 and the JBL NSP-1 speaker package (which can be had for $300 delivered) would provide you with a very nice system for the money, IMO.
Hope this helps.
------------------

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
I'm using the AR 216 for my front speakers with the 225? center speaker and the 215 for my surrounds. I've got them playing with the Energy 8 (can't remember the full model #) using the new Pioneer VSX D810S receiver. I'm happy with my selection, consider what I was going to spend on speakers alone, I got kitten kaboodle. My heart wanted, no make that still wants the Denon 4802, but my wallet could only afford the Pioneer and AR speakers.

SamRoza

Stunt Coordinator
I love my AR speakers.
I have the AR2C center channel. It's big and heavy and sounds great. Not only that, but it blended right in with my JBL speakers.
AR makes great subs. Never bottomed mine out, but it's an ARS300, and is significantly higher on the AR totem pole, and has a carver amp.
Sam

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks