What's new

Newbie has a question for Ceilings (1 Viewer)

apprentice

Auditioning
Real Name
Jamie Longstreth
Just getting started here. Doing some research before I get a projector & screen for the basement. Is there anything wrong with having coragated metal roof panels on my whole cieling where my projector will be with a surround system & sub-woofer. My system will be very basic for now, I am just looking for some thoughts about the metal cieling to see if is do-able. I don't have a theatre room seperately, I will have a dual use with a family rec-room that has a rustic style to it, that is why the metal cieling is there. And, we will also use it for watching the big-screen. Thanks

Mr645

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
I would think that the metal ceiling would offer terrible acoustics. You would likely end up with a lot of sound reflections that would greatly effect audio reproduction. How about some type of wood shingle that would absorb sound.

apprentice

Auditioning
Real Name
Jamie Longstreth
So, the metal has a lot of potential to be a bad thing? To be honest I have bare joists in the basement. The metal is sitting outside waiting for its fait. So, maybe I should sheetrock instead? Is sheetrock a much better choice over metal. I am no rocket scientist, but It seems all the home systems on the net end up with a soft texture for thier walls or cielings. A lowered cieling is out, so I can see where this is going. I will be insulating & rocking soon; unless someone can support the metal. Thanks for the support.

phaeren86

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul
I would have to agree that the metal does not bode well for acoustics. However, depending on your use (for instance, casual viewing or intense media viewing) it might suffice. Honestly, I have a pretty meager setup in my apartment, one large window that i block our with blinds, my walls are off white instead of a dark color, and my projector is definitely low end by what is out today. However, for my purposes and space requirements my meager setup works for me. Long and the short of it, if your purposes justify doing away with the metal ceiling for better acoustics, I say go for it (it will definitely be a better auditory experience). If you think that the HT is going to be rarely used, then maybe hold off and see how it works for you. Again, just my two cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks