What's new

newbie......dazed & confused (1 Viewer)

Mark Haver

Grip
Hello all. I'm just starting out here and trying to dijest all the mumbo jumbo. This is an awesome site & I have lost many a nigts sleep reading posts. My speakers, receiver, & dvd player are all due to arrive Mon & Tues.(love that ups tracking) this week. I have already set it up & re-wired everything about 25 times in my head. This is my first set up and from what I have read there's alot I have to learn.

Anyway, I'll wait till my system is in & I have read all the paperwork before I start firing all the questions. My wife is worried that I won't be back to work till after this is set up. I feel like a kid on Christmas eve. First question, is this normal or just part of my obsessive compulsive nature??

Mark

Ash Williams

Second Unit
Welcome to the Forum, Mark! Ah, the old wait till equipment arrives. I, like many here I'm sure, have been in those shoes quite a few times. Yes, all the frustration ("It should be here by now!:angry:") is perfectly normal. You will be able to find a wealth of info on this site and a lot of it is in the following thread:
A Primer for Home Theater Newcomers
Vince and a lot of other members have done a wonderful job of organizing it, you should check it out if you haven't already done so.

Lawrence MI

Auditioning
Mark, Noting that you said you've got all the wiring (re)done in your head, here's a simple suggestion that I've found always makes life easier for you and yours -- draw it out first, note the changes you'll invariably make, and be sure to draw a final schematic before you finish your wiring.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Mark,

Even more sad is the fact that it gets worse! I have a 2500W amp arriving today to power a huge 18" sub I'm building!

Brian

Dave Nibeck

Stunt Coordinator
Welcome Mark. This HT thing is a nasty, lifelong addiction. It's kinda like golf only more expensive (slightly!).

Just remember, rehab is for quiters!

Read the primer and feel free to ask away.

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
very normal. i just got my speakers in after them being on backorder for two months. i was ecstatic. my first HT is now set up, and i'm looking forward to putting together many more.

Chauncey_G

Second Unit
Ah, I remember my first online package tracking. I got to watch my SVS 20-39CS inch closer and closer to my home. I found myself checking multiple times a day. A gift and a curse, if you ask me! :)

Mark Haver

Grip
Well, :angry: :angry: :angry:
Nothing arrived today but I was able to wire up the livingroom/htroom. Went to Home depot & got a spool of the 12 guage speaker wire that alot out here seem to use. I am limited on placement of my sats & subs and left plenty of wire at the end of the loops for last minute adjustments. I ordered the PolkRM7600 sats & sub and read on their web site that they reccomend to wire the 650 sub thru l/r fronts out of the receiver & then back to the sats instead of using the lfe cable. The speaker wire was inexpensive & if I am not happy will try the lfe down the road.
The suspence is killing me but I should be hooked up by the end of the week. Then all the adjusting, tweeking, ect.....
can't wait.
Thanks for the warm welcome out here and all the replies.
Mark

Chuck_C

Stunt Coordinator
Mark - When I first set up my system I drew a few diagrams trying to get it all in my head. Then I took the instructions manuals and scanned in the pictures of the rear connection panels of all my components. I adjusted them for size and put them into a Word document for print out. Now I have a nice accurate drawing of the components and can use different colored pens for the cables. I can rearrange the components on the page and print out a different configuration. I hope you have as much fun with your toys as I do with mine.

Mark Haver

Grip
Hey Chuck,
I have to get the manuals first. This is all new to me. I'm sure there is a learning curve. My goal is to set up a combo ht/stereo unit. The room I am limited to (for now) is a nice size but alot of furniture, large center front wall fireplace with my 36" jvc set up in a corner. I'm sure I won't win any ht awards but if I can set it up to my recliner (the sweet spot) I'll be happy.
Mark
( furniture??? we don't need no stinkin furniture!!!
wife didn't buy it:frowning: )

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.