What's new

NEW YORK trip (Yankee Stadium, Conan tickets, etc) (1 Viewer)

EricW

Senior HTF Member
hey everybody.

because they're tearing down Yankee Stadium, i've finally stopped putting off my NYC trip and am making the mecca in April (first game against the Sox!!!
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
). there was a great thread on this board before but that was more than 4 years ago.
anyways, it will only be 3 days/nights, so i wanted to ask some questions:
1) what time should i line up for Conan tickets? i suppose i could mail in requests, but what are the odds of getting tickets that way? - especially if my window is so small/specific.
2) aside from Virgil's BBQ and Katz's Deli, mentioned in the thread, and Gray's Papaya, what other good food spots are there? (lots of good ones, but which are semi-famous? :) )
3) since it'll be a road trip, we'll be going by car, which means it'll have to be parked while we're there, so i assume downtown parking/hotel accomodations would be even more expensive. i guess it's NJ border? applecorehotels.com doesn't have anything less than $225 per night

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
The Rainbow Room and The Four Seasons are pretty famous, but somehow I don't think they're in the price range you're considering. :)

Try Lombardi's at the corner of Spring and Mott (that's considered the East Village by some, NoLita by others). A lot of people swear by this or that "Famous Ray's", but Lombardi's is really the best traditional pizza in Manhattan.

Sorry, can't help with Conan tickets or parking; no experience with either.

M.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Eric,
Where is the other thread at? I wouldn't know what to search for. I'm making the mecca next year as well. I plan to visit Shea as well since it's being ripped down or was this year the last?

As far as popular, I know Carnegie Deli is rather popular. I don't know if the Vegas version tastes the same or not but the Vegas version was a bit pricey. It was great though :)

When I went there last, we ate in Little Italy someplace and a place called Patsy's which is a pizza place near NYU. It was extremely fresh tasting. My wife ate at Bobby Flay's Bar Amercain and loved it.

I should try Lombardi's next time.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
i was specifically referring to the 3rd-last thread on the above post.

anyways another noob question: is it safe to take the subway at night?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
My wife and I do, without hesitation. Of course, it depends on what you mean by "at night". We're not usually out after 11pm, and our subway riding is almost always within Manhattan. I'd be more cautious about riding between midnight and 5, and I can't vouch for the safety of every part of the other boroughs.

Of course, the key safety tip is remain alert and look like you know what you're doing, even if you don't. ;)

Buses are an option too, but the bus routes are a lot harder to figure out than the subway. Even the map at the MTA website stinks.

MTA Home Page

M.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
thanks for the subway info. i'm coming from Toronto which i guess is a bit safer.

'guess who eats together at the Carnegie Deli?
Bowzer from ShaNaNa and Arthur Fonzarelli"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks