What's new

New TV doesn't look so hot. (1 Viewer)

Bill_Rinaldi

Auditioning
I got to check out my mom's new Hitachi 57" Widescreen HDTV this past Christmas. As soon as I turned it on for the first time I noticed how crappy it looked. The Dish Network broadcasts really looked pixlized and grainy. And watching DVD's wasn't much better. You could definitely see the grainy effect. I tried to mess around with the settings, but I didn't waste much time. I just don't know anything about these types of TV's. I do know that it shouldn't look that unclear. I'm not sure what the model number is, but I believe its the model that goes for $2,999 dollars at Sears.

It's not a calibration problem, is it?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Did you try doing the magic focus convergence after letting the TV warm up for 30-45min? That's one place to start besides turning down the contrast level to ~50% or lower.

Also, on a big TV, everything will look less sharp at the same distance as a smaller set. That's inevitable. Most everyone typically get crappy quality picture w/ the average channel on cable and sat. Anything less than good quality DVDs will look pretty mediocre, and even the best DVDs will look a bit soft and grainy compared to a smaller direct-view, if that's what you're used to.

If you want it to look better, set up the TV properly and then sit farther away than you used to. If you used to sit ~8ft from a 36", then sit ~12ft from this 57" to get similar results. If you want it more immersive and look bigger, then you'll have to sacrifice apparent quality in inverse proportion.

If you can get HD programming, then that would be best since that should look awesome even at ~7ft w/ the 57". It does on my 53".

_Man_

Bill_Rinaldi

Auditioning
I think that is probably the main problem. Everyone is used to a direct view set. Plus, the couch is too close to the TV and this is because the room that its in is too small.

I think doing the magic focus covergence might be worth a shot as well. And I do think the contrast needs to be turned down.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Run Avia on the TV, you will be amazed at the overall improvement in the picture, things like black levels and sharpness can even contribute to some of the things you are describing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks