What's new

New To HT HELP! (1 Viewer)

Will-Layfield

Stunt Coordinator
Hello all this is my first post and I would like to say hello. Also I have been doing a little research and came up with a system that I think would be a good beginning piece. I was thinking of going with an Onkyo sr502 receiver, fluance sx-HTB speaker package, and then possibly the dayton 10" sub. What do you guys think of this? I not too set on any one item but those are what I have found to be reasonably priced and seem to get good reviews. Please let me know if there is anything you guys would change with this. Like a receiver thats $20 dollars more but has alot more features or something like that. Also for the speakers I currently have two bookshelf infinity speakers that are about 3-6 years old(I dont remember exactly when I got them and I don't remember the model number) and I was thinking of using these as rears and possibly buying a nicer center/frontL/R let me know what yall think!
-Will Layfield

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
I know the last thing you want to hear is that someone didn't like one of your picks, but I got a friend of mine into a Fluance package - I felt bad after it got set up. The vinyl looks kinda cheap, the whole thing feels kinda cheap, actually.

He had a certain budget, and once he saw the price for those towers he had to have the whole kit. He went for the SX, but the 8 week delay prompted Fluance to up the ante and they shipped a set of SV10's and the matching ctr and surrounds. Even at the higher value level, I didn't like them at all. I wish he'd have bought a decent pair of floorstanders or a set of bookshelves, like Athena's.

I haven't been back over there since, so they have now broken in and should sound better. I should hold my opinion until I hear them again, but that was my first impression.

Driven by an HK AVR125.

So - My opinion is to buy Athena F1's or B2's and a center to match, move the Infinity's to surrounds. If you don't like them, return them and try again. I have a B1 for center and it does fine. Others think the C1 is weak, but that must be going full tilt, because my single B1 at center is fantastc. (I bought a used pair of B1's and sold one, final cost to me = $34)

Just my opinion, good luck!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Since you seem to be asking for brand-specific information in building a complete system, I've moved your thread here to where it "fits" best. The Basics area is strictly for general discussion at the beginner level, not for seeking brand-specific advice. Thanks. JB

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I've got the Fluance AV-HTB and feel they are a very good starter system for the $. Attached to a Onkyo TX-SR601 receiver. I'm not real impressed with the surrounds, but they are OK. The towers are good.

Honestly, I've heard some real speakers at a HT shop - the Paradigm bookshelves I heard sounded much better than my Fluance towers. But the AV-HTB was $199, and the paradigms were $199 apiece. :D

An upgrade will be done later when I have more cash. The combo is still way better than any HTIB.

Bruce-E

Stunt Coordinator
You have a good starter system there.I would think about how fast you think you will want to upgrade your speakers.Everyone upgrades their speakers.If money is tight ,go with the flurance speakers or save up and go like Colin said.You can search fluance in the speaker area and will find many posts.Most are postive and say for the price they worth it.What ever you decide to do just enjoy them and try not too 2nd guess yourself.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
IF you see yourself upgrading in the near future, start with only a solid stereo pair of speakers and go from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks