What's new

New to HDTV...Questions (1 Viewer)

Hah..thought that would get your attention. Well after enjoying my simple home theater for the past year, I have the itch to upgrade. First thing first...TV. I've been looking at the Toshiba 65H80. I have NO knowledge in HDTV so that's why I'am here. If I get this TV, do I need a "HDTV receiver"? I just want to best picture possible, both with my cable and DVD. And what is this component jacks? I plan on getting a Panasonic DVD-RP91K progressive DVD, do I need to hook it up to the TV or through some sort of reciever? What are the advantages of the HDTV reciever? Do I have to have a antenna? Thanks for any help you guys can provide as I'am totally lost and would hate to shell out $4k+ for nothing.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Blake,
The Toshiba 65H80 is known as a "HD-ready" TV. That means that it is capable of displaying the full resolution of high definition TV, but you will need an external HDTV tuner to receive those signals. You only need to add a HD tuner if you wish to receive HDTV broadcasts. The 65H80 has a built-in analog NTSC tuner for receiving cable TV over standard analog over-the-air broadcasts.
The Toshiba has two HD-capable component video inputs. If you decide to add a progressive scan DVD player, that device would plug into one of the two component video inputs (at a resolution of 480p). A HDTV tuner would connect to the second component input (probably at 1080i). You only need to run the component connections through a receiver if you wish to add a third component video source.
FYI, I own the smaller Toshiba 56H80 set, and am using both component inputs -- one for a Panasonic RP-91 progressive scan DVD player and the second for a Samsung SIR-T150 HDTV tuner. The TV has been ISF-calibrated, and the picture quality from these two source components is excellent.
------------------
My DVD Collection
AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 5

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks