What's new

New to Blu? Buy a PS3: the most featured BD hardware available... (4 Viewers)

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Not the case with me. I didn´t say that player-decoding is "inferior" in sound/quality wise. I just personally want all the options that are available, and in this case it means also "bitstream". I guess it´s not possible with PS3, but at some day I´ve the player that will do both (and I can then "decide myself" what is best for my needs etc).

But yeah, it´s also "just me"-type of thing. I just can´t buy some "older" or "cheaper" receiver with HDMI 1.1/1.2 IF 1.3-models are available. I just have to get one of those. Can´t help it , I´m afraid. :D

And with that 1.3-receiver, I don´t have to worry about things (well, there´s always *something*, I guess..). If I want bitstream in the future, my receiver can handle it. It´s not that PS3 will be my last BD-player (but that receiver will have to "last" for several years).

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
By all means, indulge yourself. I'm just trying to help lay the facts out so people can make informed decisions.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Loaded 2.30 this morning, and the store looks new and snazzy...except that it takes forever for images to load (and it was supposed to get faster). I'm thinking the servers are getting hammered with people checking out the new storefront.

Since I don't have support for 5.1 LPCM the new DTS-HD MA means nothing to me. But this summer I will most likely upgrade my receiver so I hope people report positive findings about it...

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
I briefly tested "ID4" after update, and PS3 still showed "1.5 Mbps" with DTS-HD master-track (when pressing "display").. I don´t have HDMI-receiver yet, but should it show higher bitrate now when DTS-MA is supported? Or am I missing something?

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
Jari, are you outputting via HDMI to your TV or Optical to your receiver? If it's optical then the settings would remain the same. I'm downloading the update now, and I'm going to run out and pick up GT5P, so I'll look at it soon.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Ah, yes, I still use Optical. So that was the reason then? I just thought, that it doesn´t matter when checking the info from the disc...

With "proper" DTS-MA info, you should see this when you press "display" from PS3:
PS3 Firmware 2.3x - Master Thread [FIRMWARE TALK ONLY PLEASE] - Page 10 - AVS Forum
(post #282)

(example: Simpsons Movie):

DTS-HD MA - 5.1 Ch. - 48 kHz - 4.9 Mbps (also variable?) - AVC - (37.7 Mbps - this is of course variable)

Btw. From the DTS-site:
DTS - We Bring Entertainment Alive!

"DTS-HD Master Audio delivers audio at super high variable bit rates -24.5 mega-bits per second (Mbps) on Blu-ray discs and 18.0 Mbps on HD-DVD."

So this "max 24.5" audio bitrate is technically possible or something, but not really used at the moment (if ever)? Does the "variable" here means that it can vary during the film or just that different tracks have different bitrates?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Got the update installed early this evening and tried out the first three chapters of X-MEN - THE LAST STAND on BD. Stupendous. When I get an evening free of reviewing demands, I will rewatch in its entirety LIVE FREE OR DIE HARD. I'm expecting to be blown away.

The PS3 now fulfills everything I could want from a BD player. I couldn't be happier with it.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Watched Mr. & Mrs. Smith (rental) with the wife after my meeting tonight, and it sounded absolutely fantastic. THIS is why I would always get agitated at people saying "At least you get the 1.5 Mbps core" before the latest firmware release. There is absolutely no comparison between the two, even on my meager sound system. I implore those of you with a PS3 but with a legacy receiver: if you have the cash, get a receiver that will do LPCM over HDMI - it's well worth the expense!

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue would be my guess.

Dang, all this talk of DTS-HD MA on the PS3 makes me think it really is time I upgraded my trusty old Marantz SR8200 receiver (firmware upgraded to 8300 spec). The old thing doesn't even have any HDMI inputs, let alone 1.3a.

The new SR8002 is looking really attractive now...

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Looks like a mature BD player now! :)

The OP of this thread has since "replaced" his PS3 by a stand-alone BD player, because of HDMI connection problems (losing connection under specific circumstances, elaborated in another thread). I'm still on the fence (with ever diminishing hopes for a combo-player), so my question is this: from the happy sounds above, I understand that none of you experiences the problems DaVid reported.

Is this true?

Cees

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Tempting for sure. :D But would it still be true if I needed the receiver to downmix to 4.0? I don't use a sub -- can't be rattling windows and shaking walls where I am :P -- and have been doing phantom center between my ancient pair of Vandersteen 2Ci's -- haven't felt like spending the $$$ on a good matching center and still needing to work around the problem of where to place it :P -- though I might consider picking up a matching center (like a gently used VCC1) at some point. I currently run power w/ a fairly old B&K 5-channel amp, but am considering maybe getting an Onkyo 805. If I could pony up for the Integra 9.8 that's been getting raves, I'd be there in a heartbeat, ;) but alas...

_Man_

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Do you listen to DVD-A or MC SACD on that setup? If you find that worth it, you'd likely feel the same about lossless. Then just add a center when you find one.
Fwiw, the Vandersteen 2C are still one of the great speakers...I've never been less than amazed by them when I've had the chance to listen.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

Do it and don't give it another thought. I have one and love it.

That being said, after doing the PS3 update last night, the sound coming out of the Integra/PS3 combination last night was nothing short of mind boggling. The DTS HD track on Die Hard 4 had my jaw on the floor, it was that astonishing. It sounded as though my system was on steroids...everything sounded SO full and the bass was tight and omnipresent. Well done, Sony! :D

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
No problems with my 80Gb version and it is stationary. i.e. I don't take it to my friends house for viewings like DaVid needs to do.

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks