What's new

New to Blu? Buy a PS3: the most featured BD hardware available... (1 Viewer)

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Maybe it has something to do with the "bitmapping" options? I have it turned off because I honestly don't understand what it's meant to do.

When I think of the word bitmap I think of a picture file, not music
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
It does, however, break DiVX playback of quite a few files :frowning: But otherwise, fine.

Edit: strike that, it just doesn't like the MIME type that a lot of UPNP servers give it; after making some changes, all is back to good.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig

I think the CD bitmapping options are just digital "enhancements", and like for most video "enhancements" I habitually turn them off. I haven't even tried them with the PS3, so I don't really know, but just from past experience...

I have not even updated my own PS3 yet (on a sort-of "vacation", have only done the PS3 here) and for all I know they *may* have improved the CD->HDMI sound. Hard to tell with the available sound system...

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Hmmm... My kid wants me to put some movies on his PSP. Maybe I should check out the PlayStation Store for that (so I don't have to spend time converting DVDs myself :P). How much do they charge for PSP movie downloads anyway?

Do I actually need v2.7 for this? OR is v2.6 good enough, if I don't want to play them on the PS3 itself? Honestly don't see the point of playing PSP downloads on the PS3 -- unless they are at least equivalent to very good DVD quality.

Thanks.

_Man_

Aedave

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
No your not going crazy
when using the optical connection from the PS3 to the STR-DE885/985 while watching blu-ray movies, DO NOT USE DOLBY DIGITAL! The reciever can not process a 640kbps feed.
Sony USA ARTICLE KB C549452 Link

My personal solution:
From PS3 Settings menu
Sound settings -> Audio Output Settings ->
Digital Out (Optical) ->
no check for Dolby Digital 5.1
check for DTS 5.1

The STR-DE885/985 CAN NOT process optical bit-stream:
Dolby Digital @640 Kbps (AKA: Blu-Ray Out put)

The STR-DE885/985 CAN process optical bit-streams:
Dolby Digital @480 Kbps
DTS @1.5 Mbps

Rather strange that the Reciever can handle 1500Kbps of information but can't handle 640Kbps.

DC
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks