What's new

New Titanic MKIII drivers at PE.... (1 Viewer)

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
Sorry if this has been posted somewhere already.
PE has just released some new drivers, The Titanic MKIII in 10" 12" & a new 15" version. I have been waiting to see them do something in a 15" that would outdo the current DVC 15" Dayton & it looks like they have.

Power handling, 800watts RMS 1,100peak
Le:3.84
Impedance 4ohm
Frequency range 19-500hz
Fs:19.93
SPL:91.7
Vas:7.79cu.ft
Qms:5.89
Qes:.41
Qts:.38
Xmax:20.5mm

I've been looking to build an IB system & planned to use the Dayton IB subs or DVC's, but I think I may have found a new friend. I'm not to good with WinSID but I'm going to play around & see what I can come up with compared to my DVC.

Aaron Howell

Stunt Coordinator
Where have you seen them? How much are they? I called PE and they said not to expect it to be in the new cataloge. They told me things aren't moving as fast as they had hoped. :frowning: This was last week.

george king

Supporting Actor
Aaron,

You can do a search at the PE website, and you will find them. They are not explicitly in the new catalog (which I just received), but they are part of the adds for the new sub kits.

Hope this helps.

Aaron Howell

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks! :emoji_thumbsup: I've been thinking about changing my shiva's and these looked like the next good option. Doesn't look like my 250watt plate amps are gonna cut it though. :frowning:

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
They are in the new catalog as well as 3 different kits. One for the 10", the 12" and the 15". They also will sell them completely assembled. They use 1, 2, and 3ft^3 enclosures respectively. And they also have separate enclosures for sale but not with the driver holes cut out.

Lots of new goodies in the new PE catalog!:)

Aaron Howell

Stunt Coordinator
Great! I'm glad the techie I talked to didn't know what was going on. After hearing so much about them being in the new catalog I was pretty sad when he told it wasn't gonna happen.

george king

Supporting Actor
Brian,

Where are they in the catalog. Old age must be making me blind. Time to get the eyes checked.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Do you have the new catalog yet? They're in the section with all the other Dayton drivers.

EDIT: According to the website, the drivers are on page 191 of the new catalog.

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
They are on page 191 in the new cat, part # 295-414 for the 10", #295-404 for the 12", & # 295-420 on the 15".

Call me a moron but I have given up on WinSID, I just don't understand how the hell to use it. So can anyone tell me how this driver would work out in an IB compared to the DVC or IB subs. I have tryed several times to figure out WinSID but I just don't get it. I've read over the how to & all that a few times thinking I'm missing something but I just don't know how the heck it all works.
Thanks...

Mike Allen

Stunt Coordinator
Just FYI.....

PE has free shipping this weekend on all orders over $99, so it would be a good time to save a few bucks(or a lot of bucks since PE charges so much for shipping).

Aaron Howell

Stunt Coordinator
When did you guys get the new catalog? The gf threw the last one away before I could see it. I hope it didn't happen again. :frowning:

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
nope, you need a new amp. The 12"er will take up to 500W. Good luck
NO! The drivers are pretty much the same efficiency so you will not be REQUIRED to use a more powerful amp. Furthermore, since xmax is pretty much the same, more power could hurt your driver by pushing past it's limits. More power handling just means that in smaller (less efficient) enclosures you can use more power to actually reach the excursion extremes before worrying about it's thermal capabilities.

Edit: Regarding excursion, I read too fast and thought that the comparison was between the MKII and MKIII...the MKIII will have more excursion than the Shiva so more power may be ok. IMO, if you already have a Titanic MKII upgrading wouldn't be worth it.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Joe,

What is it that you're not understanding? I don't use WinISD (I much prefer Unibox) but I'm sure between all of us here we could help you figure it out.

Aaron,

I ordered mine from the PE website early last week and received it on Monday. Just go to their website and there's a link on the right hand side.

Seth_L

Screenwriter
Did I miss something? There's no Sd listed for any of the drivers.

If we assume the same Sd as the Mk II Titanic I'm a little puzzled when I compare it to the Shiva. The Shiva has 3dB more ouput with the same amount of power in nearly the same size box.

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
Brian, I guess it just everything in general. I got the whole concept of how to load the driver & pick the configeration & such. But when it comes to say the encloser tuning or plot & such I just don't get it. One thing that has me so off is that you cant (or at least to my knowledge) get sizes for building a cylinder encloser. I think I have it somewhat figured out for a box but I still don't know what I'm looking at or really doing. I'd like to get it figured out just to be able to mess around with different drivers & enclosures, but I don't know what I'm doing at all.
I feel like a real dumb ass because it seams like everyone else has it down pat, but I just don't understand it.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
These look nice, especially the kits using the new 500/1000w amps. I love this:
The 12" MKIII subwoofer is ideal for most home theater environments and will produce prestigious amounts of output in just about any listening room.
I guess they meant "prodigious", but output does equal prestige in certain circles. ;)

Seth_L

Screenwriter
Joe the volume of a Cylinder is Pi*r^2*h. Take the volume you get from WinISD or Unibox and then you can figure out how tall a Cylinder you need given a certain diameter (or radius) sonotube.

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
Other than the Fs being a biiit too high... those drivers look like winners.

I always wondered why the Mark I's had lower Fs's than the II's.

I *could* use a sealed 10", btw... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks