What's new

New THUNDERCATS Cartoon Coming In 2011 (1 Viewer)

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
I used to love the 80s cartoon when I was in high school. Seriously looking forward to this remake.

SCIFI CHANNEL WEBSITE: Ever since the new take on the classic cartoon—which promised to update Lion-O and the gang for a new generation—was announced this past summer, we've been hungering for info. At last, we've got some.

According to producer Michael Jelenic—who's all over the superheroic landscape, having served as a producer on Batman: The Brave and the Bold and written the upcoming Superman/Shazam: The Return of Black Adam animated short—one of his main goals was to de-clutter the Thundercats universe.

"One thing is that I tried to simplify the mythology a little bit," he told MTV's Splash Page about the series that's going to launch on Cartoon Network in 2011. "It's a pretty complicated backstory that borrows from a lot of other sci-fi stuff, like Superman and Star Wars. In developing this, I wanted it to be a little more simple. In the other version, there's something like three different planets involved, and they all converge onto one planet, and nobody's really connected. I just wanted to bring that all together."

Thundercats will be animated overseas, by the same Japanese company that did The Animatrix. As such, it'll have a more mature vibe: "I think when people see the final character designs, people will think it's a different take, but it will feel very familiar to the old series. ... The colors aren't quite as bright as they were. It's a little darker take, but you'll recognize everybody."

And as for Lion-O's annoying sidekick, Snarf, Thundercats' very own proto Jar Jar Binks, Jelenic says: "Everyone always wants to know about Snarf. ... He will be in it, and he will not talk. Don't worry. He won't be going, 'Lion-O, why don't you do this?' It's funny, because people are always like, 'I hate Snarf! Wait, you're not going to put him in? That's terrible!'"

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Here's the first official image of the new characters, and the press release!

Press Release:

Roaring to life through WBA and Studio4°C’s use of the Japanese animated artistry of anime, “ThunderCats” characters Lion-O, Mumm-Ra, Panthro, Cheetara and others will spring off the screen with realistic cat-like characteristics inconceivable in previous incarnations.

The new “ThunderCats” will appeal to viewers who have loved the characters all their lives as well as young newcomers to the franchise. A sweeping tale combining swords and science and boasting ferocious battles with the highest of stakes, the grand origin story of Prince Lion-O’s ascension to the throne – and of those who would thwart his destiny at any cost – takes on epic dimensions in this sharp new telling. As the forces of good and evil battle each other in the quest for the fabled Stones of Power, Lion-O and his champions learn valuable lessons of loyalty, honor and mortality in every episode.

“ThunderCats” is executive produced by Sam Register (“Teen Titans,” “Ben 10,” “Batman: The Brave and the Bold”). Michael Jelenic (“Batman: The Brave and the Bold,” “Wonder Woman”) and Ethan Spaulding (“Avatar: The Last Airbender”) are the producers.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
More THUNDERCATS . . . HHHHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MANIA: Bleeding Cool has managed to acquire a snapshot taken at the London Toy Fair that shows off an image from the upcoming 2011 series for Thundercats that will be coming from Cartoon Network this year. The series is being animated by anime studio Studio 4°C which is known for their work on the Animatrix and Gotham Knights. the new series has some known talent behind it with am Register handling the exec producer duties while Michael Jelenic and Ethan Spaulding are producers.

According to what little is known via Wikipedia, "The show has been hinted at explaining Lion-O's climb to the throne with a more original anime feel and darker style.[17] In early November 2010, former Lion-O voice actor Larry Kenney revealed that he would be playing the role of Lion-O and Tygra's father Claudius in the opening three-part episode of the new series."

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Finally, the trailer! Looks awesome! Still no release date.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
That new THUNDERCATS cartoon is actually hitting the airwaves in JULY and not the Fall like I initially thought. No precise date, yet.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I was in High School when Thundercats ruled the Earth. (Ah back when you'd get off the bus and turn on the 4pm cartoon block on a weekday afternoon). I was a bit old for it, but I loved cartoons and so watched it when I could. I saw the preview for this TC last week, and it looks decent. I think I'm especially too old for it now :) but I'll be curious to give it a watch if it ever appears on broadcast channels.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
I'm 42, Dave, and I still love to watch cartoons. I was in high school, too, when THUNDERCATS was on. Yup, 4pm. Don't you get the Cartoon Network? That's the channel it's going to be on. A 3-part premiere is what I hear it's gonna kick off with.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Glad that there's a thread for the underrated Thundercats re-booted cartoon on here.

I'm an '80's kid, i.e. I grew up during that decade & do clearly remember the original Thundercats cartoon at the time. I never got into, however - I found it repetitive & formulaic. I wasn't a huge fan of the animation, either.

So, when the reboot was announced back around 2010, I wasn't sure I would like this & didn't bother watching this for many years. However, recently I decided to watch these newer Thundercats cartoons on DVD to give them a chance. And, I really enjoyed this show! I ended up watching the entire series (all 26 episodes). Great stories, animation (really like the anime-inspired aspect), and characterization. Mumm-ra wasn't overused (like he was in the original), there were plenty of great continuing story arcs & stand-alone episodes, all within a very fully-realized universe.

Without going into a full-fledged review of each episode, here are some comments:

-Really liked the tech in each episodes; the robots/mecha that the Lizards/Mumm-ra's army had was very cool, and reminded me of Japanese anime - intentionally, of course

- One of my favorite episodes was "The Duelist and the Drifter" (hence my screen-name). It reminded me of an old western, and the Drifter character was interesting as someone who was much more than they appeared to be.

-Another great episode was the one where Lion-O and his companions encountered a group of flower-like creatures who were born, lived, grew old, and died all in a single day. Very sad episode, but uplifting as well.

My only complaint about the series was that it didn't last beyond one season. I would have really liked to see more episodes, i.e. at least as many as the original series had. Too bad this will never happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks