What's new

New theater setup on the way! Have a couple questions... (1 Viewer)

browntrash

Grip
Real Name
Fazil Shaikh
Robert_J said:
You can go with Klipsch but internet direct is the best value if you don't have tools to build your own.
i'll have to do some research on "building your own", but i do have a ported box for a 12" and a JBL 600.1 mono amp that i used to have in my car. Don't know if that is at all usable (or practical) for a HT, but it sounded great when i had a rockford fosgate hx sub in it.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Two different environments. That ported box is probably tuned to 35hz. Most ported subs are much larger and tuned much lower. Look at the SVS subs. They are approximately 4 cubic feet and tuned 25hz or lower. Also using a car amp in the house is a bad idea at best. By the time you find a proper AC to DC converter, you could have bought a proper plate or pro amp. On the other hand, I did run a Soundsplinter RL-p 12" in a 1.25 cf box and it sounded great. I used 1 channel of my Behringer EP-2500 to power it. I later let a friend borrow the same box/sub and he ran it in his Kia with a 1,000w Powerbass amp.

browntrash

Grip
Real Name
Fazil Shaikh
so i checked the sub just now... Green light on front of sub, sub is on. Speakers set to SMALL. Tested with Advanced MCACC, no sound from sub. Went into Manual setup to adjust volume to sub relative to others, no sound from sub. I tried different sub output levels on the receiver, no sound from sub. Tried removing and reinserting connector on each end. dont know what it is???

browntrash

Grip
Real Name
Fazil Shaikh
i connected the wire to the sub to my ipod and the sub received signal (standby light went to green) but there was no sound. I then touched the ipod connector directly to the sub input on the back of the sub and no sound. looks like the sub is dead. i'll probably order the kilpsh or the lava, undecided... thanks for all your help Robert. i still need to post pics!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If the light went green and no sound at all then the driver is not connected (loose wire) or shot. If it moves freely when you gently push in the cone, then it is a wire. If it scrapes and scratches, it's a blown driver.

browntrash

Grip
Real Name
Fazil Shaikh
Robert_J said:
If the light went green and no sound at all then the driver is not connected (loose wire) or shot. If it moves freely when you gently push in the cone, then it is a wire. If it scrapes and scratches, it's a blown driver.
i guess i'll pull it open and look for a loose wire. I compressed the cone with my hand and it seemed fine.

browntrash

Grip
Real Name
Fazil Shaikh
Robert_J said:
You can go with Klipsch but internet direct is the best value if you don't have tools to build your own.
i am going to order the lava today, for the simple reason that the price is hard to beat for what it is. on another note, i purchased the 25' high speed hdmi from monoprice and it looks like i need another 15' to 25' to get the connection complete from my PC to my receiver. Should i purchase a simple female to female connector to join the two cables, or do i need to use some kind of amp in between the two now? I will be using the pc to run movies (blu-ray and dvd) and to play games. thanks for your help!

spencer000

Auditioning
Real Name
Spencer Jan
This is my first time I visit here. I found so many interesting stuffs in your forum especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your posts, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here! Keep up the good work. grow lights

browntrash

Grip
Real Name
Fazil Shaikh
Robert_J said:
They sell 50' ones with no amp. I'm using a 35' with no issue at all.
mccambley said:
I use a 40ft for DirecTV (720P-1080i) with no problem. But when you use 22-24G wire it can be thick and stiff so I use 8 inch 28G port savers. They are cheap and easier to replace in case of an accident then a 50ft HDMI cable. http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?keyword=port+saver
I just went back to monoprice and ordered another 25' high speed, along with a f-f hdmi connector and a port saver. i'll connect the two 25's...all set there! cant wait to get my new Lava LSP-12 subwoofer next week!

browntrash

Grip
Real Name
Fazil Shaikh
Robert_J said:
i received the LAVA LSP12 and plugged it in. Ran MCACC and nothing. Went out and bought a new sub cable too. The light on the sub is not coming on at all...? help! thx EDIT: fuse was blown! replaced and seems to be working fine. time to stretch the lava's legs!

browntrash

Grip
Real Name
Fazil Shaikh
after running MCACC, it seems my sub is not as loud as i would like. Is it alright for me to turn up the volume knob on the sub, or should i try something else first, like increasing the volume thru the manual MCACC? it is brand new, so i figure it has some breaking in to do.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I always boost my LFE output on the receiver by 3db after running MCACC. Breaking in won't help with sensitivity at all.

browntrash

Grip
Real Name
Fazil Shaikh
Robert_J said:
I always boost my LFE output on the receiver by 3db after running MCACC. Breaking in won't help with sensitivity at all.
I checked the LFE setting on the receiver and it is currently on 0db. Apparently you can only go down from there. If you go into the MCACC manual settings you can adjust the volume on each speaker by .5 decibel increments. i'll try that before i turn up the knob...but i figure that is the same thing?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks