What's new

New Sony STR-DA5ES - In Stock....... Finally (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Geo, thanks for the update. Now that I am happy with my Radio Shack switch boxes hooked up to my 'V444ES for DVD-Audio and multi-channel SACD, please don't report how good the 'DA5ES is.
wink.gif
In all seriousness, when you do get it, I would appreciate it if you could report the weight of the receiver from the owner's manual. I am curious if the 'DA5ES was designed in the mold of 'DA777ES from two years ago (weight of about 55 lbs.) as the retail price of the 'DA5ES would suggest or more in the mold of the 'V444ES (weighs 37.5 lbs.). I hope the 'DA5ES works out for you since it is so much cheaper than the Denon AVR-5800.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Kevin T

Screenwriter
keith:
how's the sound quality via the rat shack switchboxes? sometime in the not too distant future, i'm sure i'll have a multi-channel sacd and a dvd-a player and i'm gonna need a solution. do you notice any degradation of the sound quality at all? what's the part number of these switch boxes? any info you can provide would be great. thanks.
kevin t

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Kevin, I detect no sound degradation whatsoever with the Radio Shack switch boxes. The part number is 15-1952 and a box is $15. Check it out on www.radioshack.com . The box is also available in their stores. Note that you will need two of these boxes for DVD-Audio and multi-channel SACD. Each box has two inputs and one output. Each input or output has three RCA jacks, left and right audio jacks and a video jack. Thus, one box only gives you three jacks per source.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Geo

Stunt Coordinator
Keith,
I'm really looking forward to the arrival of the Sony STR-DA5ES. I'm not expecting miracles, but I do hope it will contain the features, build quality and sound quality that I've experienced with previously owned Sony ES equipment.
I've owned the TA-E9000ES and the STR-DA777ES both very high quality units. The TA-E9000ES was my first, what I would call, "high-end" piece and it was a blast to own. The computer upgrades where educational with each new upgrade improving sound and function.
It should be interesting to see which direction Sony is going.
Will the DA5ES be in the same league with the previous units mentioned? Hope so..............
Also I wonder when and if Sony will come out with the successor to the TA-9000ES? That could give the Outlaw 950 some company, if it contained the DA5ES features with the TA-E9000ES build quality and features.
Anyway, I'll post my first impressions here, including weight, as soon as the unit arrives.
Regards,
geo

W

Will

That looks like a great receiver at a good price,
compared to what you said is the great but "somewhat
outdated" Denon 5800.

Razvan V

Stunt Coordinator
Geo,
A friend of mine works for The Good Guys and the store has just received the new Sony ES receivers. According to him the new ES receivers are better than last year's V series but worse than the 777ES and nowhere as good as the 9000ES separates. He has no reason to lie to me and he's a true audiophile so he knows what he's talking about. I checked out the DA3ES that they had on display and it had the same volume control problem as the V series receivers - for more details on this problem go to www.audioreview.com.
I owned for a few months the DA777ES receiver, the 9000 separates and the V444ES receiver. Once you have listened to the 777 the 444 is a joke.
The new Sony separates - the TA-E10 and the TA-N10 - are supposed to be released this coming summer. I think that the TA-E10 will be much better than the Outlaw 950 and from what I've heard it will have the firewire input. The problem with the Outlaw is that it seems that it's not upgradeable while the Sony will be ( and Sony took good care of the TA-E9000ES, 3 or 4 upgrades so far if I remember correctly). If I were you I'd return the DA5ES and wait for the new Sony separates.
Razvan

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
It would be nice if this was in the same group as my 777, I really want the new features! But the 777 sounds like something I should be thankful to have. =)
Those guys that were talking about the ratshack switchers for DVD-A/SACD is there another topic where this is being discussed? I was thinking of making a custom switcher out of the parts from two of those boxes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks