What's new

New Sony ES SACD-DVD players (1 Viewer)

Sach

Stunt Coordinator
http://news.sel.sony.com/pressrelease/3730

The DVP-CX777ES, a 400-disc changer, and the DVP-NC555ES, a 5-disc changer, feature advanced Precision Cinema Progressive™ technology and multi-channel Super Audio CD playback. Each model is also equipped with the industry's first 12-bit, 216 MHz video D/A converter for extended video detail and higher sampling rate.

The proprietary Precision Cinema ProgressiveÔ system featured in each of the new models incorporates Pixel-by-Pixel I/P Conversion technology with separate algorithms for still, slow motion and fast motion video to deliver vivid contrast and brightness and seamless DVD-Video picture quality. The system also includes a Super Sub Alias Filter for better signal-to-noise ratio and V-Edge Compensation to minimize jagged edges on diagonal lines. For added picture quality, the system's Noise Shaped Video™ (NSV) circuitry shifts video noise outside the visible frequency range.

Additionally, each unit is equipped with the industry's first 12-bit, 216 MHz D/A converter, which minimizes video noise that can interfere with picture quality. The new converter's increased sampling rate allows home entertainment enthusiasts to enjoy breathtaking picture detail. Together, these innovations help minimize video noise, produce exceptional clarity and enhance the overall viewing experience.

Powerful Audio Reproduction

With both new models offering multi-channel Super Audio CD playback, the DVP-CX777ES and the DVP-NC555ES capture the nuance of every sound from choral ensembles to the cries of a rock guitar. Each unit's 5.1 channel audio capability enables clear sound reproduction that will impress even the most discriminating audiophiles. The new units also incorporate a DSD decoder chipset, which is a unique audio processing technology that reads and processes audio data to optimize sound and deliver flawless audio performance.

Movie and music lovers can easily adjust the sound with Multi-Channel Management and speaker distance adjustment functions on the unit's on-screen Graphic User Interface. In addition, the player's Audio-Video Alignment feature eliminates any time delay between picture and sound for a seamless cinematic experience.

Strength In Design

In order to deliver flawless audio and video reproduction, Sony has utilized extensive anti-resonant damping materials. In addition, the DVP-NS555E incorporates high-strength frame for further signal fidelity. This construction reduces unwanted resonance and vibration, often triggered during optical pickup, which can interfere with a high-quality DVD viewing experience.

Both units are equipped with Sony's Precision Drive™ 2 with Dynamic Tilt Compensation, which provides fast access and steady tracking by applying a high responsive servo tilt to the pick-up in order to compensate for some imperfections found in some discs.

Multi-Disc Management Systems

Unique to the DVP-CX777ES is its Disc Explorer® System. This feature allows fast and easy identification and access of all 400 discs housed in the unit. Utilizing the on-screen Graphic User Interface, collectors can access discs by title, disc type, or genre. Collectors can also create personalized categories for even more detailed disc management and access. The player automatically loads disc information into its memory for instant access and display, providing easy management of growing collections

The DVP-CX777ES model also incorporates the Jacket Picture function, which records disc jacket pictures that will appear automatically when accessed. If no jacket picture is available, consumers can customize their jacket pictures by freezing any scene on a DVD. These added features are designed to satisfy and exceed the needs of the growing DVD enthusiast population. And finally, the DVP-CX777ES is likely to become the cornerstone of all home entertainment systems by incorporating RS232C for custom installations.

The DVP-CX777ES will be available in September for about $800. The DVP-NC555ES will be available in August for $600.

Kevin T

Screenwriter
a 400 disc sacd/dvd changer!!! keith's prayers have been answered but the proof will be in the pudding so to speak.

kevin t

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
If the 5-disc changer was a whole uni and had DVD-A, I'd proably buy one. I'm not giving up on DVD-A just yet. Sony must hurt their own bottom line by not suppourting DVD-A, or maybe not? I would think this could cost them marketshare?

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
Well sony created SACD so don't expect them to support DVD-audio any time soon.

I wonder how long it took them to start making VHS VCR's?

Mark

Thanks for the info Sach & the link Lee.

Any ideas when we can expect reviews?
I'm especially interested in the DVP-NC555ES for red books.

Thanks
:emoji_thumbsup:

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
we talked to the sony video spokesman at the SF HT 2003 show last weekend.
Since sony has spent $$$$$ on SACD, they have no plans for a DVD-A player. Basically they feel like they are helping the enemy.
They had all the new mega changers and they look very cool.
A couple of other things - they have no plans for any new seperates but they have a monstrous new receiver (a foot tall at least!)
I was surprised how sony actually had their act together at the show and other (pioneer,denon most notably) didnt show at all.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
This is very good news. I'm not in the market for a new DVD player or SACD player, but I would very much like to see these players in person. The retail prices are not bad for these units, considering all they offer. The 'CX777ES is especially welcome since, for some unknown reason, DVD megachangers are grossly underrepresented in the marketplace.

O.K., I'll say it. Where are the non-DVD SACD players? Is Sony only going to offer the 'X9000ES?

Greg Schwabacher

Stunt Coordinator
I'm in! Finally something to replace my 'CX333ES CD megachanger (and maybe my 'S9000ES DVD player)! I've been waiting for a multichannel SACD megachanger (since my 'S9000ES is stereo-only)! Like Keith, I really only need an audio-only megachanger, but I guess I'll take DVD also.

I sure hope they make this thing available in black, but I'm not sure that's going to happen. What's interesting is that Sony's U.S. press release about the new ES receivers brags about them being silver, but in the U.K. photos I've seen, the new receivers are shown in black and gold.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Lee, I absolutely agree with you. I have no problems with Sony releasing DVD/SACD changers. In fact, I think this announcement is great news. However, the audio-first guy that I am would still like to see a replacement for the 'C555ES. Had Sony just announced the non-ES DVD/SACD changers, I might have remained hopeful that a replacement for the 'C555ES would be coming. However, now that Sony has announced ES DVD/SACD changers, I am extremely doubtful that we will also see any non-DVD SACD changers. Realistically, how many ES models can we expect?

I wonder if Sony is keep the 'C222ES on the range.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Well, ... the Sony guy at HE2003 *did* say that they have internally discussed doing a universal player. No plans for 2003, but he said that they certainly haven't ruled it out for the future though either. :)

Cliff Olson

Stunt Coordinator
I have had only great success with my DVD-V/SACD player, the Sony DVP-NS999ES. As several other members on this board have as well. It has been tested by a few reputable magazines/sites, and the test results for BOTH DVD playback and SACD have been outstanding. I think Sony is doing a fine thing by adding more DVD/SACD combos to their lineup. It obviously saves us, the consumer money, but it also saves valuable space in our equipment racks!

Nick V

Second Unit
On the other hand, for those of us with quality DVD-A/V players in our racks, the addition of a few SACD-only players to Sony's lineup would be very much welcome. As it is now, I can't see myself spending money on a DVD-V/SACD player, where the DVD section will never be touched.

I was anxiously awaiting the release of a new SACD-only plyaer, but I suppose now I'll have to settle for a 222-es.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I was anxiously awaiting the release of a new SACD-only plyaer, but I suppose now I'll have to settle for a 222-es.
Why not get a 999ES and have a backup DVD player?

You also need to mod the 222 for the best sound anyway, so you will spend as much money for comparable sound.

If I were Sony I would not invest in lower price SACD only machines, due to the competitive pressure of current DVD and DVDA players. It would put Sony in a weak market position to not offer the video capability. :)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Lee, that's a rather odd way to say Sony wants to minimize inventory costs. I think they're making a mistake. There is a market segment for audio only players. They should not be ignoring it. Sony, BTW, is having a very bad year financally, record losses old chap. ;)

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
You also need to mod the 222 for the best sound anyway, so you will spend as much money for comparable sound.
ANY player will sound better with the right modifications, not just the 222ES. Are you saying that for an out of the box comparison, the 999ES sounds better than the 222ES? Have you heard them both side-by-side, or are you simply going on price? If the latter, then the extra cost of the 999ES is easily accounted for by the extra hardware required by the video section and licencing costs of DD and DTS decoding.

I'd rather keep my dedicated audio player rather than get a do-it-all machine that probably cuts corners in the audio section. If I absolutely had to get a universal player, it would be something comparable to the Marantz 8400, which (reportedly) sounds as good as most decent standalone SACD players.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Lee, that's a rather odd way to say Sony wants to minimize inventory costs. I think they're making a mistake.
If you believe that the DVD buyer market is larger than the audio only market (and most all would agree), then the right business decision for Sony is to offer both, ideally at the same price, in order to compete with DVD players that include DVDA capability.

The consumer wins because he gets a DVD player AND a Super Audio player. :) The Sony DVD players instantly recognize the SACD layer so it operates easily without a TV, just like an audio only player, unlike some DVDA players.

By the way, if you were losing money, offering the consumer value this way and minimizing product mfg costs (debatable whether inventory costs are saved if they sell more units as a result) would be a great way to go.

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
The consumer wins because he gets a DVD player AND a Super Audio player.
I disagree here too. If you want it all in one box then that's fine, but if you're more interested in the audio side you're either paying a premium for the DVD capability, or getting one that has cut corners somewhere.

It depends on how much you are willing to spend on specialized components versus convenience and economy. I have nothing against universal players, but you're likely to have to pay more to get decent performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks