What's new

New scientific discovery! (1 Viewer)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Courtesy of The Onion. This one had me rolling...
"For centuries, we have embraced the pursuit of scientific knowledge as one of the noblest and worthiest of human endeavors, one leading to the enrichment of mankind both today and for future generations," said keynote speaker and NSF chairman Louis Farian. "However, a breakthrough discovery is challenging our long-held perceptions about our discipline—the discovery that science is really, really hard."
Go here for the full article.

Filipe Almeida Paz

Auditioning
Hello!
Well, although I usually do not have much time left to post replies here, I think that I have to say something about this since my actual occupation is Science ;) (I am taking a PhD in Chemistry which, as you might well know, is here in Cambridge purely based on scientific research).
Anyway, I generally agree with the article. Science is very demanding nowadays and, depending where you are, it really may be very difficult and competitive. Although this can also be an extra motivation to keep doing Science, sometimes it can also be a very big problem.
"I guess there's cool stuff about science,"
I could not agree more with him. Science is fascinating, especially in that particular moment where you realize that you are the only person in the world knowing a little secret about Nature and the Universe. It really can fulfil someone's ego. :D :D
However, I do not understand why making bombs could be cool...:thumbsdown:
Filipe

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Filipe, you may not be aware of the Onion... But it's a "joke" site, all the articles are satire...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks