What's new

New Sammy DLPs (1 Viewer)

Thomas_S

Auditioning
Anyone lucky enough to put their hands on one of the new Sammy DLPs? ie. the pedestal T models or the Tantus models with the new HD3/HD2+ chips and color wheels? I'm dying to know how these are. The capital expenditures committee (wife) says that my cost proposal for 16:9 has been approved. I wanted to hear how much difference the new chips and higher contrast ratio have made versus the current(past year or so) technology.

Anyone?

Thomas_S

Auditioning
Anyone lucky enough to put their hands on one of the new Sammy DLPs? ie. the pedestal T models or the Tantus models with the new HD3/HD2+ chips and color wheels? I'm dying to know how these are. The capital expenditures committee (wife) says that my cost proposal for 16:9 has been approved. I wanted to hear how much difference the new chips and higher contrast ratio have made versus the current(past year or so) technology.

Anyone?

MikeKaz

Stunt Coordinator
The big Samsung DLP spot on the web is at AVSforum.com. Go to the rear projection forum and there will be several threads about the new P models. Reviews have generally said the HD3 sets are as good or a little better than the HD2 sets. The HD2+ projection sets havent come out yet and wont be out until August/September. There are going to be other companies making HD2+ DLP sets like Mitsubishi, so you may want to watch out for those. In terms of the HD2+ chips themselves, they are already in several high end projectors and they have gotten very good reviews.

There is a review of the Sharp Z12000U projector which has the HD2+ chip at Secrets of Home Theater & HiFi.

He said it "offers quite remarkable performance, in terms of contrast ratio" and he measured a contrast ratio of 4400:1, which is damn good.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...04-part-1.html

There was also a review in Sound & Vision of the same unit in which the reviewer said it set the standard for digital projectors.

Hope that helps.

MikeKaz

Stunt Coordinator
The big Samsung DLP spot on the web is at AVSforum.com. Go to the rear projection forum and there will be several threads about the new P models. Reviews have generally said the HD3 sets are as good or a little better than the HD2 sets. The HD2+ projection sets havent come out yet and wont be out until August/September. There are going to be other companies making HD2+ DLP sets like Mitsubishi, so you may want to watch out for those. In terms of the HD2+ chips themselves, they are already in several high end projectors and they have gotten very good reviews.

There is a review of the Sharp Z12000U projector which has the HD2+ chip at Secrets of Home Theater & HiFi.

He said it "offers quite remarkable performance, in terms of contrast ratio" and he measured a contrast ratio of 4400:1, which is damn good.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...04-part-1.html

There was also a review in Sound & Vision of the same unit in which the reviewer said it set the standard for digital projectors.

Hope that helps.

John Doh

Stunt Coordinator
When you say HD4 chipset, are you referencing the HD3x chipset that was announced a few months ago?

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
No, it's a completely new chip that so far only the Mitubishi's are set to use. I got this info straight from a Mitsubishi rep yesterday.

John Doh

Stunt Coordinator
That's odd because I haven't heard any rumblings from TI about releasing an HD4 chip. Heck, the HD2+, HD3, & HD3x aren't even mainstream in RP's yet.

Has anyone seen anything on this alleged HD4 chipset??

MikeKaz

Stunt Coordinator
That is one of the odder claims I've heard, but if Texas Instruments does manage to roll out a secret new chip in the next couple of months, I will remember I heard it here first. My bet is on the rep just being confused. Is the HD4 chip going to be a 1920x1080 part?

MikeKaz

Stunt Coordinator
That is one of the odder claims I've heard, but if Texas Instruments does manage to roll out a secret new chip in the next couple of months, I will remember I heard it here first. My bet is on the rep just being confused. Is the HD4 chip going to be a 1920x1080 part?

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
The rep is suppossed to be emailing more info on the chip. When I get it I'll post back with more info. I too hadn't heard of an HD4 chip as well.

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
The rep is suppossed to be emailing more info on the chip. When I get it I'll post back with more info. I too hadn't heard of an HD4 chip as well.

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor

That's not what the Mitsubishi rep who visited our store said. They said that the DMD chip from TI would be no more advanced than that of the Samsung or LG we carry. He said that it would be the HD2+, but that they were incorporating some other proprietary technology within the light-engine that would make it superior to the others. Now, I always take stuff from a manufacturer rep with a grain of salt, but this guy knew his stuff.

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor

That's not what the Mitsubishi rep who visited our store said. They said that the DMD chip from TI would be no more advanced than that of the Samsung or LG we carry. He said that it would be the HD2+, but that they were incorporating some other proprietary technology within the light-engine that would make it superior to the others. Now, I always take stuff from a manufacturer rep with a grain of salt, but this guy knew his stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks