Samsung HL-S5687W, Initial Impressions.

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Adam_R, May 17, 2006.

1. Adam_R

Adam_R Second Unit

First off, let me tell you that my last TV was a Sony 57" CRT based RP HDTV, and I thought it had a great picture and that is my basis of comparison.

Secondly, let me also say that I only did very basic calibration on the new set with my Avia DVD. I only tweaked Contrast, Brightness and Sharpness. Color and Tint were left alone. I also used my Xbox 360 for most of my impressions. After going back and forth between 720p and 1080i on the Xbox, I decided that 720p being converted to 1080p by the TV looked better that the Xbox converting 720p to 1080i and then the TV converting 1080i to 1080p.

The first thing I noticed about the set was the blacks. They are BLACK. The "up to 10,000:1" contrast ratio is working for me. Looking up at a black night sky and seeing perfectly crystal clear, pure white dots with no blooming was incredible, it really looked astonishing. One thing I found strange was during the calibration test when you turn up the contrast until the whites "bloomed" on the Avia disc, this set wouldn't do it. I cranked the Contrast to 100 and NO BLOOMING. Wierd. So I just eyeballed it. I think I ended up around 60.

Ok, next is color. One word: BRILLIANT. These colors are so vivid. So vibrant, without being overly done. No hint of "red push" from what I can see, but I don't have the best eyes either.

Shaprness. Well, I turned the "sharpness" down to about 30. This set's picture is sharp as a tack. Edges are RAZOR sharp. I guess the fact that there's no convergence of three colors with DLP helps with edge shaprness?

Game Mode: It's got a special mode for games. The description says that is "speeds up the video processing" for games. I am assuming that this is for those who experience lag in games. I have not noticed any lag, nor have I noticed any real difference in PQ, so I leave it off. I assume it just turns off the DNIe processing. (which is amazing, BTW)

DNIe: This is pretty good stuff. You can turn on a demo where only half the screen gets processed and half doesn't. It makes a big difference in the brightness of whites. Whites are WHITE when it's on.

DNR: I'm not sure about this one. I left it on, but after turning it on and off, I think I might turn it off tonight.

The one complaint I have so far is this: Sometimes, I can see almost a shimmer in the center of the screen. NOT the rainbow effect. I have seen this on LCD sets too. It's like almost a sparkley area in the center of the picture. Like someone shot a mist of water on it. It only occurs when there's a bright flat color there. I can't really see it most of the time. No biggie.

One other thing I noticed on the Avia disc: Some of the video looked bad. I saw the "macro blocking" that some have mentioned on Sammy DLPs. I do have a DVD player with the (in)famous Farjoura chip, or whatever it's called. Is it really the chip? Who knows. I'll watch a few movies tonight and update tomorrow.

Overall impression so far: I am VERY impressed. Love the PQ. Love the cabinet.

Feel free to post any questions, and I'll try and answer as best I can.

2. London Lawson

London Lawson Second Unit

Pics off 360 games on it please and price.

3. Adam_R

Adam_R Second Unit

I'll try to take pics tonight of 720p and 1080i, but I'm not sure how's they'll come out.

The set was $2999 at Circuit City, but it only cost me $400 after an exchange.

My old HDTV was breaking down again, and CC's extended warranty will exchange your set for one of equal or better specs. You can also choose to upgrade and pay the difference.

They offered me the Sony Grand Wega 55" LCD RP model and I can't stand the screen door effect of LCD's so I decided to pay an extra $400 for the Sammy. Glad as hell that I did.

The moral of the story is BUY THE CITY ADVANTAGE PLAN. Without it, sh*t out of luck with a busted TV that needed $1500 worth of CRTs.

4. RichardJB

RichardJB Stunt Coordinator

Good to hear someone who has this set. I am looking at the 61" of the same set. How does regular HD look? Also non HD digital cable. It will be a while for enough 1080p content but if it looks good in those other areas i will def
    pull the trigger. Are you happy with it overall?

5. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    You'll never see blooming on a DLP, LCD or LCoS set. The display type isn't vulnerable to the effect. I'm not sure about plasma. Blooming is an artifact of voltage changes, and since plasma, like CRT, works by applying electromagnetic energy to phosphors, it may also be susceptible to blooming. Digital Video Essentials actually tells you to skip that test if you have one of the display types mentioned. My nephew has the 42" version of this set and loves it, especially after I spent about 45 minutes tweaking it with DVE. I looked at the 56", but finally went with the 56" JVC HD-ILA because I got a better discount and financing deal. I thought the picture quality of the two sets was comparable.

Regards,

Joe

6. Adam_R

Adam_R Second Unit

thanks for the clarification Joe.

so how do you recommend calibrating the contrast?

7. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Either Digital Video Essentials or check some of the other test patterns on Avia. You don't mention what your TV source is. If you get the INHD and INHD-2 channels (which I think may be exclusive to HD cable) there is a show that airs about every six weeks called "INHD Tune Up". It is about 20 minutes of test patterns for color, tint, brightness and contrast. I recorded it on both my HD-DVRs and set discard to "never". So anytime I feel like it I can tweak both my livingroom LCoS and my bedroom LCD flatpanel. (And eventually the two flat-panels that are going into my home office - if I ever finish that project. [​IMG])

Regards,

Joe

8. Adam_R

Adam_R Second Unit

Nice!

My only HD input is an Xbox 360.

Other than that, it's DVD or regular ugly cable.

9. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

This is a bit of a hijack. Glad it worked out for you. My CC advantage ran out in December. I called them in Nov because I am having a problem with the screen quickly blanking out (as if someone turned the power off/on real quick) with HD material whenever a bright flash happens on screen (think CSI camera flashes, or Battlestar Galactica firefights). It only happens at 720p or 1080i. If I feed the tv the same material at 480p, no problem.

A tech came out in Dec and documented the problem, but said he needed to talk to an engineer to find out how to fix it. I've called them 4 or 5 times since then and despite repeated promises to call me and take the next step, nothing. It just got escalated again to another manager.

I am also a crt rp lover. The set is a hitachi 57". I'm glad to see that you like the blacks on the new set. That's what I am most worried about losing if I end up switching sets. I'd love for them to just fix the set I have.

10. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

Just got the call from the superviser. They are not covering my television because they say the original tech documented "No problem. Consumer education." That freaking burns me. When I called in Jan/Mar, they told me the records reflected a documented problem that they would deal with. Now the records say there was no problem. They've given me the name/address of their legal department to follow up. [​IMG]

11. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    Adam,

I'm so glad you posted your thoughts.
    I'm buying the 50 inch version next week. I'm so glad your happy with your set.
    Makes me feel relieved about spending the money.

Curious to see you pics and impressions with Xbox360 running on it.

12. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    hi
    Im just happy that Samsung decided to have a DNIe off parameter in the user menu. This is the setting you should be using to minimize edge enhancement and to not crush your blacks (there by adding additional details to black).
    Regards

Gregg

13. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

I think my HL-R shipped with DNIe off by default.

14. Gregg Loewen

Insider

Gregg Loewen
    the older HLR line does not have a DNIe off in the user menu.

15. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

I'll have to go back to the menu but I could swear I saw DNIe in there and it was set to OFF. HL-R6168W.

16. Gregg Loewen

Insider

Gregg Loewen
    it is a DNIe demo toggle

17. Adam,

I was just posting about 'screen glitter' in another thread (which I think is the same effect you refer to as sparkle/shimmer).

Unfortunately, this effect occurs constantly during bright demos when I'm examining RP LCD & DLP TVs.

Have you been able to minimize this problem by lowering white levels?

This shimmer/glitter effect is keeping me for seriously considering any RP set.

18. Adam_R

Adam_R Second Unit

To be honest with you, I see it MUCH less on this DLP set than on any LCD set I've seen. I do still occasionally see it, but very infrequently. I have not really fully calibrated the set yet since I am still in my personal "break-in" period. After I am comfortable with all the TV's basic settings and have watched several movies and played several games, I will do a "full" calibration using the Avia disc and my own personal taste.

Gregg - Is it your expert opinion that the DNIe should just remain off?

Thanks!

19. Adam_R

Adam_R Second Unit

Sorry that I haven't posted pics yet, but they came out pretty bad.

Any tips on taking good pics of the screen? Paused DVD perhaps? Game? I bet a tripod would help.

20. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

I've never seen what you're describing on an RP CRT or my RP LCoS. I suppose it is possible I've just never noticed, but then what is the difference between a problem that doesn't exist and one that is so subtle or so short-lived that you never see it? [​IMG]

Regards,

Joe