Are Mits DLPs "dark" compared to others?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Robert Christenson, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Robert Christenson

Robert Christenson Auditioning

Some background. I'm trying to decide on a new RPTV. I have a 65" Mits CRT now that I love. It won't fit down the stairs though, and I really don't want to take it apart. Hence, I'm looking for a new one for downstairs. I watch a lot of scifi and action, so I'm pretty sure DLP (over plasma or lcd). I'm going micro due to space needed to get it downstairs. I really like the 65", so I'm trying to stick with it, and am looking at the 62" Mits or 61" JVC. I like the Sammy picture, but nothing other than the problemed 63 series in that size.

That said:
    I've been to Ultimate Electronics and BB. Both times, the Mits DLP look dark. The colors were muted and the image much "softer" than the Sammy DLP or JVC DILA. We took the cover off at UE and it improved somewhat. Are the Mits DLPs darker? Or was this a case of uncalibrated sets?

Thanks!

2. John S

John S Producer

Were they out on the main floor, with all the bad lights and everything around???? Makes it hard to compare.

The Mits is probably not shipped in torch mode as are other perhaps?

3. Robert Christenson

Robert Christenson Auditioning

Both were in light controlled areas. I own a Mits, so was familiar with how to navigate the menus. Attempted to improve the Mits, trying to get it even close to the Toshiba DLP sitting beside, but couldn't. Didn't try taking the screen off that one.

No idea what the others were set at, nor did I know how to even them out w/o a DVE disc with me.

4. John S

John S Producer

Interesting.. I wonder if this is part of how Mitsu has suposedly improved their black level performance?

I'm surprised others have not chimed in on this one. Not to many Mitsu DLP owners on here though from what I have read.

5. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfer
    I've watched my parents Mitsu 52725 (from Ultimate Elec) numerous times on numerous channels (HD and SD) and all look perfect..not "too dark" at all.

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

try to demo one with the protective sheild off. that will help. we have two on display in my store and, on one of them, we took it off. to me the pic looks much better/brighter.

also, i'm told you can get some kind of retro fit-kit so that the tv (aesthetically) looks nice. if you just take off the screen, it looks like you broke something. [​IMG]