What's new

new region protection?? (1 Viewer)

stewart borland

Stunt Coordinator
About half of my total (now 105!) DVD's are Region 1 and my Toshiba (chipped) has never had a problem with any of them.
I received my copy of America's Sweethearts today, from Lasers Edge, and it just locks on a map of the world and says there is nothing wrong with this Recion 1 disc and I should buy the correct disc for my region! :frowning:
Has anyone come across this before? I'm not sure Laser will want to take this back - and even worse should I risk oredering any more?:emoji_thumbsup:

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
It sounds like good old Region Code Enhancement (RCE) which has been around for about a year I think. If your player is all-region, you've got a problem. If you can manually set it to Region 1, you might be able to work around this.

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Columbia TriStar have been using a system called RCE (Regional Code Enhancement) on some of their discs for some time now. No other studios have adopted this system (yet).
A complete list of titles affected can be found here. If your player's regional setting can be set to Region 1, this won't be a problem. If it's a 'zone free' player (ie Region 0) then you will not be able to play these discs without a further modification or some sort of workaround.
Adam

stewart borland

Stunt Coordinator
I just love this forum - problem solvedd with that link you sent me! Thanks again, I'm away to watch it now :) ;) :D

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
It appears that since RCE was introduced that modifications for region 0 have been devised that play these CTS discs without region selection. Latest Region 0 players available in Tokyo have no problem with the RCE discs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks