new region protection??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by stewart borland, Nov 20, 2001.

1. stewart borland

stewart borland Stunt Coordinator

About half of my total (now 105!) DVD's are Region 1 and my Toshiba (chipped) has never had a problem with any of them.
    I received my copy of America's Sweethearts today, from Lasers Edge, and it just locks on a map of the world and says there is nothing wrong with this Recion 1 disc and I should buy the correct disc for my region! [​IMG]
    Has anyone come across this before? I'm not sure Laser will want to take this back - and even worse should I risk oredering any more?[​IMG]

2. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

It sounds like good old Region Code Enhancement (RCE) which has been around for about a year I think. If your player is all-region, you've got a problem. If you can manually set it to Region 1, you might be able to work around this.

3. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    Columbia TriStar have been using a system called RCE (Regional Code Enhancement) on some of their discs for some time now. No other studios have adopted this system (yet).
    A complete list of titles affected can be found here. If your player's regional setting can be set to Region 1, this won't be a problem. If it's a 'zone free' player (ie Region 0) then you will not be able to play these discs without a further modification or some sort of workaround.
    Adam

4. stewart borland

stewart borland Stunt Coordinator

I just love this forum - problem solvedd with that link you sent me! Thanks again, I'm away to watch it now [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Roger Mathus

Roger Mathus Supporting Actor

Roger Mathus
    It appears that since RCE was introduced that modifications for region 0 have been devised that play these CTS discs without region selection. Latest Region 0 players available in Tokyo have no problem with the RCE discs.