What's new

New Numbers on Super Audio Demand (1 Viewer)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
They also noted that "Although the Super Audio CD market is not yet mature, Sony DADC expects the yearly demand in Western Europe to rise to more than 100 million units by 2006. The format, which was introduced as the next generation CD-Audio, already enjoys great popularity: more than 2.5 million Super Audio CD players have been purchased by households world-wide and over 1,000 Super Audio CD titles have already been published."
From High Fidelity Review article on new production.

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/ne...umber=14266503

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Oh yeah, one more thing check out David K.s comments on why Sony is looking to do more hybrids (From HFR):

Sony's Kawakami talked about SACD's Hybrid Disc format and how ABKCO Records and other record labels issuing SACDs are starting to release some albums only on SACD. The decision to price and distribute these SACDs like a CD with similar labeling and pricing lets the record companies "break out of the high resolution audio bins" at record stores. It also means that "you just get" the extra features such as higher resolution audio and multichannel sound as part of the package according to Kawakami.
This seems like good thinking on Sony's part. Provide value to customer and keep foot traffic high by forcing the discs into the redbook CD bins with the rest of the good stuff. This also explains why the SACD logo may not be too prominently displayed.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Lee, it's about time that Kawakami and Sony realized the benefit of releasing hybrid SACDs.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Provide value to customer and keep foot traffic high by forcing the discs into the redbook CD bins with the rest of the good stuff.
This what I have been saying all along about Hybrid SACD. If there is a Hybrid version of an album, we can assume that will generally be the best version available, and should replace the standard redbook disc. Unfortunately, alot of the Hybrid discs from Audiophile labels have high MSRP which keeps them out of the CD bins, and in the SACD sections making this argument irrelevant. The Stones to date have been the only Hybrid title available on a large scale.

You would think a company like Analogue Productions would support lower MSRP if it meant increased sales. Of course alot of the titles they put out, are in categories such as Jazz which are not big movers to begin with so maybe this is the reason. Still you would think CCR would sell many more copies at a lower MSRP. I know myself personally would pick every disc up on release date if they were at the same price as the Stones. As it is now, I am waiting for sales to pick up the CCR discs slowly.

J

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
The Stones to date have been the only Hybrid title available on a large scale.
Justin,

This is my point actually. Sony will do the same for Dylan and Dark Side of The Moon. I think Sony is shifting their strategy to do more of these types of releases. And Universal will release hybrids for The Police and Peter Gabriel supposedly. Everyone will want these definitive versions and maybe some multi-channel to boot in certain cases.

As for prices, you should go to Best Buy. They are competitive with regular CDs now on the latest releases.

I don't mind paying more for Analog Productions since they do such a good job and have Steve Hoffman and Kevin Gray doing the mastering. They are a small operation and sell more limited quantities so one would expect their prices to be a bit higher. We are likely to see the prices fall further in any event.

:)

RaulR

Stunt Coordinator
And Universal will release hybrids for The Police and Peter Gabriel supposedly.
Could this be why the "Up" SACD keeps getting delayed? All I've ever found out about this disc is that it's supposed to be single-layer, but now amusicdirect.com has changed the release date in its listing from Jan 21, 2003 to June 6, 2006!

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
If and when hybrids are basically invisible on the shelves and of a great number, it will boost the format immensely. Many may buy it for the CD and look at the notes and then some time down the road check out the SACD layer.

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
As for prices, you should go to Best Buy. They are competitive with regular CDs now on the latest releases.
Not here in Tulsa! The BB guys just happened to move the Eminem cd I placed there months ago! I need new sacds or I wil be forced to buy DVD-A!(well, if BB starts to stock these as well:angry: ).

Must Use untraceable CASH:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks