What's new

New Member System Help (1 Viewer)

BenCosta

Agent
Hello All,

I've been paging through the site and I just love it! Thanks for all the great info!!

Anyway, my name is Ben and I'm looking for a good receiver for my parents. I've been out of the receiver market for a little while, and don't know where to start. They will not benefit beyond a 5.1 system, so EX, ES isn't a must. They do have an SACD player so "multi-ins" are a must. They have a Mits 46"W so HD component switching would be nice. They won't spend more than a grand, so don't bother. What's hot these days...or even better any ideas for good deals?

Peace-

Ben

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Ben, I'm going to ask a delicate question:

Do your parents like technology, in other words, are they comfortable working with computers, cell phones, PDAs, things like that?

I'm asking about this because just about every receiver above $400 or so is crammed with sound options and other sophisticated features that require even hobbyists to consult the owners manual. For example, I've seen quite a few people listening to movies using a DSP mode rather than 5.1 Dolby Digital; a Denon receiver set for 6.1 speaker operation but with no center rear speaker present (they thought 6.1 meant some kind of "virtual" rear channel was activated), tiny center channels set to "large" and so on.

Do they have a large listening space, where they would have to use a large/powerful receiver?

LJ

BenCosta

Agent
They are not afraid of technology, they've had cell phones from day one, program they're own VCR...hell my mom even added memory to hear Dell! Room is 20 x 28.

Peace-
Ben

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Well that frees you up to check out lots more models and with a room that size, it looks like they'll need a pretty powerful one (@$700 and up).

One thing to definitely check out that some people blow off & then find out too late it drives them totally crazy: play with the remote and make sure it is easy to operate! This may sound like a dumb thing to worry about but I have run into some horrible remotes on pricey components: ones with the volume buttons at the very bottom of a heavy and long remote casing :angry: ; buttons that "mush" down giving you no tactile or clicking feedback indicating you actually pushed it; illogical arrangement of functions; or teeny-tiny buttons you almost need a pencil to push. The latest weird remote is on a Harmon/Kardon 630--its beautifully styled remote had volume keys that I had to use ridiculous amounts of pressure to activate (maybe it was defective?).

LJ

Drew_W

Screenwriter
For solid musical receivers and no huge grills, try Arcam, NAD, or (pushing a grand, might have to be used) Rotel. I would also suggest looking into offerings from Marantz and Pioneer Elite at that price point. Others may recommend Denon and Yamaha, but I can't say I'm a fan of either. YMMV.

What are they looking to drive?

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, but after all, they are parents. They probably will never desire to watch a movie at reference levels.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks