What's new

New Line and WETA: Many thanks on the Lord of the Rings DVD releases (1 Viewer)

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I couldn't find a thread with such a topic, and I can't imagine that any other release qualifies as much as this one.
As a fan of the movie, I am overjoyed with the specs of the August release, which include the wonderful theatrical version in addition to a considerable amount of extra features. All of this at a very fan friendly price.
As a great fan of the movie, I am ecstatic about the November releases. Not only are we treated to an extended version of the film with DTS soundtracks, but we are given an entirely new stable of extras including multiple commentary tracks and the optional inclusion of the Nat'l geographic documentary disc.
I am very pleased with the way that you have handled this release. You have provided an ideal initial release that fits the entire movie on one disc, which was a real sticking point for some fans concerned about that factor. You also avoided making this a 'bare bones' release, so there are a number of fans who will be happy with this release by itself.
By offering the extended versions on two discs, many are very happy that they will have a DTS track as well as multiple commentaries, which was a concern with the single disc approach.
Avoiding the reuse of extras is also very commendable and will undoubtedly give those of us planning on dual purchases a real sense of value for each release.
In addition, you have been very forthright about your release plans, which should be considered the model for all DVD release studios.
I believe that all involved, from Peter Jackson, WETA, and New Line deserve the greatest compliments on how they have handled this instant classic. This will truly be a new high watermark for DVD releases, and I anxiously await both August and November.
:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Hear, hear. I think NL & WETA are going to be pleasantly surprised at how many folks happily purchase both the initial release and one of the extended releases.
Hope you guys are making LOTS of those Argonath bookends!! :D

Doug Pyle

Second Unit
Real Name
Doug
Overall, I agree and I'm looking forward to enjoying your treatment of this film. I'll be getting both the 2-disk & 4-disk releases. (I planned only on getting the November 4-disk release but the prices for the August 2-disk are just too good to pass up).

BIG EXCEPTION: I am NOT pleased with the separate Pan-and-Scan version of the 2-disk release. By issuing a separate P&S package, some idiot stores will fail to shelve the Original Aspect Ratio version, contributing to skewed buyer preference statistics & making OAR harder to find. Some buyers will mistakenly pick up the hackup P&S version not realizing that's what they got until too late. If P&S is offered at all (it should NOT be), then it should be in the same package with the OAR version, not in a separate release.

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
Revival! Now that I have both versions of this film, I want to give New Line a BIG KUDOS with the FOTR DVD's. The extended special edition DVD is without a doubt the most perfect DVD release I've ever seen! Especially the collector's gift set with documentary + bookends, very exclusive!
Please keep up this standard and make the same kind of releases for the two remaining movies. As said, what you did for this movie was perfect, and please keep up making the special edition two discs with 4 commentaries + DTS-ES!!! "Just do the same" for the two other movies, and cement your position in DVD history with the greatest releases ever made... :)

rbirk

Stunt Coordinator
I have not watched my 5 disc edition yet, but love the packaing etc. It is really nice and the specs looks wonderful. However I am disappointed there are features on the 2-disc edition that are left out. I don't want to have to buy both of them.

Ron Birk

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
I just wanted to say a big Thank You for the superb Gift Set release of The Fellowship of the Ring. The additional movie footage is excellent and really adds a lot more depth to an already amazing movie. The DVD Extras are absolutely incredible - not only very informative, but also very entertaining. It's releases like this that make DVD such a wonderful thing!
I really like goodies in the Gift Set especially the statues and look forward to seeing what you come up with for the next movie! :)
Gregory

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Two words: Play All!
With soooo much added material in this set, that little button made all the difference. Top notch work!! I can't wait to see The Two Towers and Return of the King get the same treatment.

Rob T

Screenwriter
I got the 4-disc set yesterday and just finished watching the movie (not the special features though) and it was just great! :)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
What I so-o-o enjoy about the documentary materials on this 4-disc set, as well as on the two STAR WARS DVD's, is that they don't treat us like imbeciles. They assume we have some knowledge of filmmaking and refuse to condescend by directing their supplements to the lowest common denominator (aka HARRY POTTER). I just eat up the technical stuff (which is why I loved THE ANDROMEDA STRAIN, one of the most intelligent of the Crichton film adaptations). Keep it comin' New Line!

Patrick Bennett

Stunt Coordinator
Just felt I needed to chime in with everybody else.
Without a doubt, the 4-disc extended edition LOTR is the best 'special edition' DVD I own. The two discs of special features are absolutely superb (and in anamorphic widescreen!!! THANK YOU!) and I haven't even watched the movie yet!
Bravo New Line. Bravo.

rbirk

Stunt Coordinator
I have now almost finished watching my 5 DVD edition and have to say that this release is by far the best I have seen so far. The movie is of highest quality and the documentaries even better.

Thank you Newline for not making this an Infinity film and go the extra mile, as I really do not like chasing rabbits games or not having English subtitles.

Ron Birk

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks