What's new

New HT system, no outputs on vega! (1 Viewer)

JustinDrumh

Auditioning
Hi all!

This is my first post in the world of home theater, so go easy on me. :) I, like many other people, am looking to purchase a basic system that will suit my needs until I get out of pharmacy school (3-4 years). I currently have a 24inch sony vega (or is it wega) TV, a sony dvd player (dvp-ns315), and a sony vcr (slv-679hf). Sounds modest, but keep in mind that I live in a one bedroom apartment and school takes lots of time. I would like to add a HT system but have a few newbie questions. First, my tv doesnt seem to have ANY a/v OUTS which seems odd to me. Second, I would like to use component video for the dvd (tv and dvd player has it) and was wondering what the best way of doing it was. Third, I would like suggestions for a HTIB or receiver/speakers that would suit my needs. I will use it for DVD, tv, and stereo music mostly. My main question is how is the best way to get a a/v signal to a reciever if the TV has not outputs. I could run it through the VCR, but I don't want to hurt the quality. I could rent a cable box (with outs) for $7 per month. What do you suggest? Thanks for your input in advance, I'm sure I will have more questions as time rolls on. Oh, by the way, I have kind of a limited budget (around $500 max), sorry! :)

Thanks again,
Justin

Jim-M

Second Unit
You can connect the DVD component video output directly to the TV. Then connect the digital audio output from the DVD player to the receiver. You could do basically the same for the VCR, although that video output is likely S-Video or composite. The only output you might need from your TV is audio outputs if you're just watching a regular TV show. Are you sure your Wega doesn't have audio outputs? Our 27" Wega does. You could also connect your the video output of your DVD player and VCR to the receiver and then connect the output of the receiver to the TV. You don't need a video output from the TV.

As for HT system suggestions:
There is an Onkyo HTIB that generally gets good comments. I think it's the HT-650, something like that. I have the receiver it comes with. Another suggestion is to get a set of Polk RM6000 speakers ($299 at Crutchfield) paired with a decent receiver in the $200-300 range.

Iver

Second Unit
Hi Justin,

Welcome to the HTF.

Is your TV the 24fv12?

That's the only 24-inch Wega (vega) on the Sony site right now. If that's your TV than you have one S-Video input and one composite input. Don't know if those are on the same input (Video 1) or if that's two inputs (Video 1 & Video 2). The usual Sony configuration would put them in line on the same input. The site lists no outputs for that particular model.

That's not a problem though for having TV audio on your HT. Just run the VCR audio output into the VCR audio input on your receiver.

You would probably want that anyway to have VHS tapes in surround-sound.

Just about all HT receivers on the market have enough inputs and outputs that you should have no problem putting together a basic system with DVD, VCR, and TV.

If you are getting an HTIB, go for one built around a receiver such as the Onkyo, Denon, Kenwood, or Yamaha. You have the DVD player already anyway so you wouldn't want one of the units including an integral disc player, plus they are usually very short on inputs.

AaronJB

Second Unit
There have been discussions elsewhere on the forum of a problem with the reciever that comes with the Onkyo HT-650. The speakers with that set, which are very nice, are available on their own (model SKSHT-500). You could pair those speakers - or speakers of your choosing - with the Pioneer 811, a H/K model, or the Panasonic SAHE100.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks