What's new

New guy needs help please. (1 Viewer)

Drew_Whitehead

Auditioning
Real Name
Drew
So I'm cutting the cable cord. The mound of problems I run into revolves around the fact that my TV is incapable of turning off its internal speakers. Toshiba 55g310U, I've tried everything, been on their support and done everything short of open it up to cut the speaker wire. Those internal speakers won't fill my living room, thus the sound bar via the only out from the tv, the optical out. Now control volume on the sound bar alone, I have a square of electrical tape covering the eye on the tv. All well and good given the roku and blue ray are hdmi into the tv. When I added a converter box, because I can't use the built in the tv because of the electrical tape, it wants to adjust it's own volume on its own.

Long story short, anyone have a simple solution other than replace to tv or a receiver? Quality TV tuner box that doesn't want to adjust it's own volume? Thanks in advance.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
I'm having a hard time understanding what exactly is going on. Here is what I took from your post. You have a Roku, BRP, a cable box all connected to the TV which is connected to a soundbar. From what you're saying the issue is controlling the volume of the TV, cable box and/or soundbar?

It seems like the solution is to turn the volume of the TV down to its lowest level and use the soundbar to adjust volume after you've adjusted the cable box. If you're missing the soundbar remote or don't want multiple remotes a good universal remote would be the way to go. You can actually program remotes like the Logitech Harmony to control the volume of the soundbar but the channels of the TV or cable box. This seems like a better solution than replacing your TV unless you just want a new TV.

Maybe I'm missing something so clarification might be necessary but that's how I see it.

Drew_Whitehead

Auditioning
Real Name
Drew
Kind of. Everything was/is hooked up via HDMI, so there wasn't any volume levels to change basically. Because the TV is incapable of turning off it's speakers, I have a small bit of electrical tape covering the IR eye on it. This is to stop the TV from turning up its volume as I turn up the sound bar. This is also the reason I can not use the TV to change the channel. I'm fine with getting up to change input and turn it off and on. The OTA converter box also want to adjust it's volume independently of the sounder and TV.

I'm trying to find a way to get tv channel changing away from the TVs responsibility and volume to more like my roku and blu-ray, i.e. always constant. Is that more convoluted than before?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

Looks like you’re out of luck with your current compliment of components. You need to get a sound bar that operates on different IR codes than your TV does.

Better yet, a new TV that has the option to turn off its internal speakers.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Drew_Whitehead

Auditioning
Real Name
Drew
Wayne A. Pflughaupt said:
Looks like you’re out of luck with your current compliment of components. You need to get a sound bar that operates on different IR codes than your TV does.

Better yet, a new TV that has the option to turn off its internal speakers.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt
TV isn't that old either. 2011 isn't that far in the past, although tech moves at lightning speed.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I perused the manual of that set. No it doesn't mention turning the speakers "off". Common for TV anyway...till the advent of "soundbars that run off your original remote" came out, causing a problem.

In the bedrooms, where I have soundbars that work this way(Boston Acoustic), I purposely bought TV that you could turn the speakers off.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks