What's new

New Home - Set up Home Theater (1 Viewer)

labjt

Auditioning
Real Name
John
We just built a new home and had the living room space wired for internet and speakers.

We have our current TV, but nothing else. (A couple years old Sharp 60" 1080) Well, I did buy some Dayton cubes just because they were so darn cheap, but I don't have to use them. I have had some good experience with Dayton in the past. I have generally been a been a bit of a low budget audio guy up to this point, listening to music via old records, but this is my first foray into "home theater".

I'm attaching the room with the layout of furniture. The furniture is not perfectly to scale, but gives a rough idea. The green circles are where the speaker wire is in the ceiling.

The purpose here is just general enjoyment of movies/TV with my wife and kids. I'm not worried top performance, etc.

So I guess I need the following:

AV Receiver
Blue Ray Player
Streaming Player (have used Roku previously)
Speakers
Sub

Where do I start and what do you recommend? Budget: I'd lean to lower cost just because I suspect I cannot enjoy all the benefits of a lot of components since this is not a dedicated theater, but a living room as well. However, if there is a compelling reason to consider a higher-end item for my set up I would entertain.

If there is anything I haven't addressed, please ask and I will try to clarify. If you think of something I need, but haven't listed please let me know!

Final note: there are four ethernet ports that connect to the internet behind the TV.

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• room layout.png
    room layout.png
    127.1 KB · Views: 98

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
A few questions:
1. Is that a gas fireplace in the middle of the wall directly opposite the couch? If so, have you considered wall mounting your flat panel above the fireplace? I just worry about all the strained necks and optimal viewing angles with current setup, not to mention the dreaded "centre channel pull" that is part of a setup where the screen is off centre.
2. Are you considering object based surround (Dolby Atmos, DTS:X Auro)? I also noticed that you don't appear to have wire laid out for a centre channel.
3. How much flexibility do you have with the seating arrangement? I know your cabling for ethernet is behind the current location for the TV, but as previously stated, your best options are to mount the TV in the centre of the wall, which means either above the fireplace or on the left hand wall from this view, which I note has a stud that would assist with any TV mount.
4. What kind of speakers are you considering? Floor-standing? Bookshelf? Ceiling mounted?
5. Any reason you can think of why you wouldn't continue using a Roku in your setup?

Apart from that, I can't see why you couldn't get into a decent setup for under $1500. Decent blu-ray players are now available in the sub-$100 range, and "smart" blu-ray players with access to streaming services aren't much more; an entry-level 5.1 receiver can be had for under $300, and Atmos/DTS:X receivers aren't that much more; a decent subwoofer can be had sub-$300, and floor-standing or bookshelf speakers can be had at varying prices across the range.

I'm curious about these Dayton cubes you have. What can you tell me about them?

labjt

Auditioning
Real Name
John
Thanks Stephen!

1. Is that a gas fireplace in the middle of the wall directly opposite the couch? If so, have you considered wall mounting your flat panel above the fireplace? I just worry about all the strained necks and optimal viewing angles with current setup, not to mention the dreaded "centre channel pull" that is part of a setup where the screen is off centre.

1. I'd love to have the TV centered, but that is a no-go from my wife's design perspective. We want the piece of artwork to be the focus of the room, rather than the TV. I'd love it each night we are watching TV, but alas I think it is where it is going to be.

2. Are you considering object based surround (Dolby Atmos, DTS:X Auro)? I also noticed that you don't appear to have wire laid out for a centre channel.

2. While it is not a requirement, I am considering. It's seems wise to have some of the flexibility. I especially like the ability to increase the gain to the dialog track alone on the center channel. To confirm, there will be a center channel as well.

What are your thoughts concerning ATMOS/DTS-X for this setup?

3. How much flexibility do you have with the seating arrangement? I know your cabling for ethernet is behind the current location for the TV, but as previously stated, your best options are to mount the TV in the centre of the wall, which means either above the fireplace or on the left hand wall from this view, which I note has a stud that would assist with any TV mount.

3. While locating on the wall is more likely than above the fireplace, I'd still say it is most likely to stay where it is.

4. What kind of speakers are you considering? Floor-standing? Bookshelf? Ceiling mounted?

3. More than likely, ceiling and/or wall mounted. I bought the cubes with this possibility in mind.

5. Any reason you can think of why you wouldn't continue using a Roku in your setup?

4. I love the Roku and would like to continue using one. The only reason I consider giving it up is because the streaming availabilities through some blu-ray players.

I'm curious about these Dayton cubes you have. What can you tell me about them?

Here are the cubes: https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sat3w-3-cube-speaker-pair-white--300-677

They were recently on sale for about $15 per pair. I have been a Dayton believer since their B652s, which are terrific period, but especially for the price.

-John

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
If you're stuck with having the TV in the corner, I have a couple of ideas to optimise screen angle and speaker placement. The first is to place the TV stand on a 45 degree angle in the corner. Not optimal, but workable. The second is to mount the TV on an arm so you can move it out of the corner to centre it when watching a movie. The second option only makes the TV the centre of attention when you want it to be, but if you wind up watching it at times when it's situated in the corner, you wind up with weird placement of dialogue and effects at those times. YMMV, but experiment and see what you like.

Regarding Atmos and DTS:X, I future-proofed myself recently when my receiver died and I was eligible for a rebate as a result. I bought an Onkyo TX-NR555, which can be set up for 5.1, 7.1 or 5.1.2 (Atmos/DTS:X). My previous setup was Dolby ProLogic IIz, which gave me height channels on the front wall, which actually migrated nicely to 5.1.2. I'd love to do ceiling mounted at some point, but I'm happy with the current setup.

Those Dalton cubes look fun, but with maximum power handling of 20 watts RMS per channel, there's a good chance of blowing them with most HT receivers. You'll definitely want some serious bottom end, so I wouldn't spend less than $250 on a sub. Subs are largely considered for rumbling, but they do cover more of the hearing spectrum than that. Bass management allows you to tailor your crossover to the limits of your speakers.

As far as streaming boxes go, I have more than I need. I have a Roku for the living room, an Apple TV for the home theatre (as well as a PS3, XBox 360 and smart functions on my plasma and 3D BD player), and a Chromecast in the bedroom. I really like the interface on the newer Roku boxes, but again, do what works best for you.

I hope my suggestions help you out.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I highly recommend turning the entire viewing situation 90 degrees counter-clockwise, as has been suggested, putting the fireplace on the right side. Then floor or stand speakers in the front, center under the TV. The Dalton cubes just aren't suitable for HT.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Unless that TV can somehow get mounted above that fireplace, that will be a very unfriendly viewing experience. The TV is just too far out of the line of sight. Spinning the set up to have the TV on a wall with no fireplace etc would solve the problem as well.

But with that layout you posted, I wouldn't even bother worrying about hooking up speakers etc since the screen will be so far off center you will lose pretty much all sense of the "home theater" experience. Everyone will be craning their necks to look far off to the left to enjoy what's showing on the TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks