What's new

New guy looking for an opinion on a deal (1 Viewer)

Shawn E

Auditioning
Hey-
I'm new to the wonderful world of surround systems, and I'm looking to set up one of my own. I've found a deal for the following:

A pair of Klipsch SF-2's
A pair of Klipsch SS-1's
Klipsch SC-1
Velodyne VX10 woofer

for $851 at vanns.com--can't post the actual link, or I would. Also, I found an acoustech system for $799--anyone know anything about these?

Any opinions/recommendations? I'm looking to spend no more than about $1500 on the whole system. I've looked at receivers and just can't figure out where to go with those either. Onkyo? Yamaha? Pioneer? I'd like to go at least 6.1 in case I decide to get a rear center later on. Any advice anyone could offer would be great. Thanks!

Dallas

Stunt Coordinator
"Hey-
I'm new to the wonderful world of surround systems, and I'm looking to set up one of my own. I've found a deal for the following:

A pair of Klipsch SF-2's
A pair of Klipsch SS-1's
Klipsch SC-1
Velodyne VX10 woofer

for $851 at vanns.com--can't post the actual link, or I would. Also, I found an acoustech system for $799--anyone know anything about these?

Any opinions/recommendations? I'm looking to spend no more than about $1500 on the whole system. I've looked at receivers and just can't figure out where to go with those either. Onkyo? Yamaha? Pioneer? I'd like to go at least 6.1 in case I decide to get a rear center later on. Any advice anyone could offer would be great. Thanks!"

To me, I would value a pair of SF-2s for $325, SC-1 for $125, SS-1s for $175 which leaves the value of the sub at $225. Depending upon the quality of the sub I would say $850 is a fair price for that Synergy set-up. (Since these are being replaced with a new Synergy Series, you might try to get them to throw in the SF-3 mains instead of the SF-2's for the $851.)

However, I must advise you that the SC-1 is a fairly weak center channel. I had one for about a month before I purchased the Klipsch RC3II. The reference center from Klipsch had a more rich and full sound quality. At the time I had paid $200 for the SC-1 so I quickly took it back. That might be why I placed a value of $125 on it above but 1) It might actually cost more than that and 2) I am not sure I would give $125. Of course, at the right price, the value could outweigh the deficiencies.

Take care,

Dallas

Shawn E

Auditioning
Thanks for the info. Anyone have this sub or know anything about it? Also, I've briefly looked at receivers, and the Denon AVR 785S looks pretty good. Any thoughts?

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Hi Shawn

I think many that chime in on Acoustech speakers at different forums are not owners and have never heard them. A number of people feel kinda pissed because they do resemble the Klipsch line and feel that it's just a wanna be rip off. Yes, thats one way to look at it, but have (these people) ever really seen and listened to them in a system set up...????

Those that have (really bought) this Acoustech speaker system (5.1), seem very pleased with them. Especially the ones that grabbed them up at 699.00 at Costco for the limited time they were available. Do these people have long term speaker listening experience, I do not know.
The one Semi Pro Review thats out, is glowing, and those that own the speaks seem to feel the similar. Others, (non owners) trash/question it, as it's just one review only.
Ghesh, they were pretty much just released about 4-6-months ago, and now only available on the web as far as I know. So listening to them somewhere now, is rather diffucult!!!

Rumor that the highly respected Doc HSU was part of the designing of the sub and possibly even part of the speakers themselves, this I do not know if holds/bars truth.

I've never heard them, only seen them.
They certainly look like far more speaker than they sell for. Even at the 1k their wanting NOW delivered for the full 5.1 set up being sold at a few places.

I'd say their certainly worth looking into if you can purchase the 5.1 set up for the 7 bills you mentioned.

==>
There are a few links you may or may not have read in this linked thread below
==>
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...ight=Acoustech

VX-10
As far as the VX10, nice little sub, but output limited for sure.

Your room size, listening habbits, spl, & wanted extension, all have a bearing on what might be best suited for "your needs and budget".

Word to the wise:
Take "your time and do your home work".! Buy what you like, not what others feel you should purchase. Help from others in choosing something, ideas for things to look into, all good.. But in the end it's you that has to be happy, so what others may feel about any product, "is subjective at best" (assuming they actully own it)... If they have/provide measurements and user feedback to back up claims on a product, then that only tells one part of the story but dose help in doing comparisions.

I'll throw a thread link for the VX-10 when located.

Edit:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...der=descending

Regards
Geoff ¥

Shawn E

Auditioning
Thanks, Geoff. The room I'll have it in is about 17x11, and the system will be used mostly for movies. And it looks like the Acoustech set runs for about $720 on Amazon, with free shipping. I'm looking for somewhere that has them so that I can listen, but maybe I'll just check out Amazon's return policy and just pick them up if it's good. I've run into the same thing you've seen when looking for reviews of the brand. The only thing that makes me hesitate on them is that I've heard the Klipsch, and I really like them. But I haven't heard the sub yet, and I wonder if a Klipsch sub would be better. Of course then I run into the problem of having to go with the package that vanns has already set up.

Anyway, it's down to those two choices pretty much. From what you guys have said here and what I've seen on reviewing sites and other threads, synergy is a pretty solid entry level, especially for that price. My next decision is for the receiver. The problem there is that I'm really not sure what I'm looking for/how to tell the difference between them when I'm listening. I'm looking for something with 6.1 inputs that can power the 100w speakers. Do I need a receiver with 100w per channel? Any other thoughts?

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
and the Denon AVR 785S looks pretty good. Any thoughts?
__________________________________________________ __

Denon and Klipsch go very well together imo. Denon generally is considered neutral to warm and their 80-90 watt per channel offerings would run the Klipsch just fine. Sorry no experiance with the Acoustech. They look good for the $$ though??

Shawn E

Auditioning
Awesome. You guys rule. I haven't been able to find anywhere to check out the acoustechs, so I think I'm going to go with the Klipsch. I'll have to go out and sample them with the VX10, but from what I've seen, I don't think I can go wrong with this deal. Thanks for the help!

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Shawn

Both speaker brands your looking at are very effecient and do not require a ton of power to get loud.

Klipsch speaker have their own sound and the Acoustech "(are said)" to sound very similar to the higher up Klipsch. Notice how that was worded, "(are said)"...!
Never hearing them, I will not pretend to say anything BUT, what "I've read and heard from owners".

People usually either like the Klipsch sound alot, or hate it. It's a more detailed sound, some even call it, almost a in your face sound. Others say their just good and accurate.
Only you can be the judge and jury of the Klipsch type sound.

If you get the chance, ~{you really should try and go listen to the Klipsch speaks}~, any of them if you can't hear the exact ones your looking at. As said, they have their own type sound. Also try them on different Receivers brands if possible, as this can affect their sound also a bit. Most pair up Klipsch speakers with warm, or more neutral Receivers like (Onkyo-Denon-HK), but certainly not all people.

The BIC/Acoustech's, well figure they will sound some what similar. This is what most owners say and the one pro review touts. They could sound much better, or worse, than the Klipsch Syn, hard to say. You might PM or email owner/s and see what they have to say about them and their sound. It's subjective, people/owners opinions, but the more personal takes you get on speakers or a sub the easier it might be to decide on something you can't hear without buying..

I will tell you that the VX-10 sub is most likely not going to be enough for you if you listen at higher volumes especially if you run the sub calied a little hot. A pair stacked & corner loaded would be much better, but then your moving up in dollars and could look into purchasing a much more capable subwoofer.

I'll go out on a limb here:
The Acoustech sub, I'd be willing to bet out performs it easily in spl and probley extension also. Box size and driver SD make that a pretty sure bet. A if the Doc was involved, for sure..

Good luck
Geoff ¥

Dallas

Stunt Coordinator
Shawn,

These fellas from across the pond weren't that impressed with the VX10.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151140

If I were you I would have them replace that with a Klipsch KSW12, tha tis at least the matching Synergy sub for the system they are trying to sell.

Just FYI, I also found a VX10 sub with a buy it now price on EBAY for $150... so the $250 above that I allocated as a possible value is a bit high for this sub.

Good luck!

Dallas

Shawn E

Auditioning
Well, unfortunately I live in Indiana, but I'm going to be getting out soon to test drive the Klipsch set together. I've heard the SF-2's and I really liked them. I listened to them at Best Buy when I was still pretty passive in my pursuit of great sound. Now that I know a little bit more, I'm going to try and find a place with a good setup so that I can get the feel of how it all sounds together. And I think I want a bigger sub, so I'll pbobably take a good look at the KSW12.

Dallas

Stunt Coordinator
Whatever you do, don't overpay at Best Buy. Also, remember that Klipsch has come out with a new design for their synergy line of speakers so you should be able to demand a great deal on the old style if it is still available.

Good luck!

Dallas

Shawn E

Auditioning
Well, to put a resolution on this thread, I ended up going down to Indianapolist to check out these speakers in a place with a good listening area (a store called Ovation--very nice). They didn't have the SF-2's--only the SF-1's. So I checked those out with the rest of the speakers that I mentioned in the original package. It all sounded pretty good to me. Then I tried out the Reference series. As you may have guessed, there was no going back. So I came home with a pair of RF15's, the RC25, a couple of RS25s, and a Paradigm 10" sub, which really has a good amount of bass and blends well with the system.

I decided to go with the Denon AVR-785S, which (I hear) is the same as the 1905 (the one I tested with the speakers at the store), except it's silver. I didn't buy the receiver there because I can get it cheaper online. But the package with just the speakers was about $1500. So I was pleased. I won't be able to set up my system for a couple of weeks yet anyway since we're moving into a house, so I've got a bit to find a good deal on the receiver and cables. While I'm at it, by the way, does anyone know where I can get a good price on some cables (and which ones I should actually buy)? I know Monster is the hallmark, but there's gotta be something that's high quality for not such a steep price.

And one more thing: if anyone has an opinion on a universal remote, I'd love to hear it. I've got an RCA TV (soon to be a Mitsubishi 65" display once I can afford it), a Sony DVD player, a DirecTV/Tivo receiver (for anyone wondering, TiVo is awesome), the Denon receiver and an Emerson VCR. I've been looking at either the Sunwave SRC-3810 or the Home Theater Master MX-500. I know the 500 can control the TiVo, but I don't know about the 3810. Any suggestions would be welcome. Boy, that was a long post.

And finally, thanks so much for all of your opinions and tips. This forum is great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks