What's new

New DVD player purchase.. your thoughts? (1 Viewer)

Ashen

Auditioning
Hi all,

Its been a while since ive posted, but I would like to get your input on my plan to replace my DVD player.

I have a Sony 7700 that I have been using since it came out, and its starting to show its age. Im looking to get a replacement for it, but im unsure of the current top rated players. I have about 2,000 to spend. I dont care about CD or DVD audio discs. I would like to be able to play VCD's and CD-R/RWs. It would be nice to have a progressive scan since I have a mitsu 55" widescreen. Also DTS is a must. I guess thats about it.

Any thoughts?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
The current Sony flagship, the DVP-S9000ES, would be a superb replacement for the former top-of-the-line Sony player.

Other than its being an interlaced-output player, how is your 7700 "showing its age." Malfunctions?

Ashen

Auditioning
yeah... lots of "C-####" errors.. Im sure it just needs a trip to the shop, but I really want p-scan, and CDR-RW playback.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Does the 9000ES play CD-Rs and CD-RWs? Not so sure, as I have seen trouble with Sony DVD players in this area last year when auditioning.

Pioneer DVD players are usually reliable when it comes to CD-R/CD-RW support. I'm not up on their relative video performance, though. Maybe the Denon 3800 would be up your alley, if it supports CD-R/CD-RW, as good video performance reports are coming in and a fix for the chroma bug is now available. Plus, you'll get DVD-A support and reportedly good CD / DVD-A quality (although this doesn't appear to matter to you). Looks like about a $1K investment.

BTW, what do you mean by DTS is a must? Must the system decode DTS and output analog multichannel from such decoding, or are you simply interested in making sure the player passes the DTS bitstream to your processor (via digital out) correctly. If the latter (which is my assumption), just about all currently available DVD players support DTS out on digital.

I'm sure others will chime in for players meeting your criteria for even less $. $500 will get you good prog scan today.

Doug

Ray Tsui

Stunt Coordinator
There are lots of great players below $500 that will fit your needs.

As for DTS a must, I'm assuming you want an on-board decoder?

The Denon 1600 at $500 USD looks like a great machine, Progressive, built in decoders, no chroma bug, and fast layer change.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks