What's new

New DOOM 3 screens and article !!!! (1 Viewer)

Kami

Screenwriter
Prepare to drool:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/chuk/Doom/
I am still undecided if I will buy this for Xbox or PC...on one hand, Carmack says it will keep all of the visual fidelity of the PC version and I won't have to upgrade anything. Another plus to Xbox is that I get a way bigger screen, plus my xbox is hooked up to my HT, so I get the true 5.1.
Now the PC version...better multiplayer capabilities. Also the potential for mods on the PC version, which we will most certainly see. However, I don't know how well it will run on my current system: AthlonXP 1900+, 768MB, GF4 Ti4200 128MB (o/c to Ti4400). I do not plan on upgrading this any time soon.
I guess the answer is....BUY BOTH :angry:

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Wow. Looks incredible. If/when it's released for the Mac I'll definitely be picking it up assuming I get a new machine by then :) If not, I'm sure I'll have an XBox by then so I'll get that version. There's no way I'm missing out on this game. I still remember my first time playing Doom shareware. It was December 1994 on my older brother's 486SX 25mhz that he had brought home from law school for the break. I remember we couldn't get it to run until we did the "hold down left shift" trick as his pc only had 4mb of ram. In the end, my brother ended up playing non stop. He even said that he found it to be a distraction while he was in law school. Ah memories.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
The PC, Linux, and Mac version will launch at the same time. The Xbox version will come 6+ months later.

BTW - Carmack has said that to run Doom III well on a PC or Mac you will need 1Ghz+ Processor, GeFORCE3+, and 256MB+ RAM.

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
brrrrrring it on!

i just got the latest issue of pcgamer. the game looks good, but looks like it is a remake of the first one. meaning it is gonna be a slaughterfest. dont expect nolf like story in it. or maybe i am wrong...

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I thought that they (ID) hired a writer to come up with an actual storyline to this one, instead of the past, which were lame-dick stories, wrapped around a killer game?

To be honest, if they can come up with as terrifying an atmosphere as the original Doom's, hell...who needs a story

Kami

Screenwriter
They did hire some kind of horror novelist to do the story, but I forget his name.

Doom3 will be the scary as hell I think. Think survival horror type game, but also lots of firepower, demons, and oodles of grotesque violence.

Xbox version is really 6+ months after the PC version?? Never heard that yet. Kinda sucks.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
I have trouble believing Carmacks proposed system requirements on the Macintosh side. If he is saying that it won't run on a brand new Dual Processor 867mhz G4 then he's insane. A DP g4 with a good graphics card(like a Geforce 4 or high end Radeon) should be able to run even doom 3 well. Perhaps 1+ghz is true on the PC side but I doubt it on the mac side, do to dual processors and the inherent difference in mac and pc chip architecture.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Hence the "estimate" part of ETA. That has been id's stock answer for each game, but unless its _really_ early, there is usually a vague idea. Are we looking at 2003, 2004? Is it nearing completion, or still early in the formative process?

-Dave

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
At QuakeCon I got the chance to be in a room with the Carmack and about 15 - 20 other people for sit down round table and I grilled him heavily about the Mac support(as I use a DP867 G4) and he flat out said that currently they didn't expect the game to run on anything outside of the just released DDR 1Ghz+ PowerMacs. the problem isn't the CPU or the OS X, its the GCC complier and that came strait from his mouth. He said Apple is doing a great job on hardware and OS X, but they need a good solid complier and that the GCC one was just not cutting it. You have to realize the game is running on a P4 2.4Ghz with a Ti4600 or Radeon 9700 and its running around 30fps.

Also there will be no work done on the Xbox version until the PC, Mac, and Linux versions are complete. Again thats exactly what he said. They are commited to doing and Xbox port, but id won't be doing the port themselves. By then they will have moved on to the Doom III add-ons, which they plan to make a few of themselves, including one focused on Online Play.

And finally I asked him during the keynote when can we expect to play Doom III and he said that they don't plan to be a company that shows the same game at two E3s....so I guess it could easily be out March, April, May next year. It is playable and all that was left at QuakeCon was content and optimizing.

And there will be Hell in Doom III along with a BFG

Shawn C

Screenwriter
I think it's funny that they can get Doom III done so quickly (relatively), and it's taking 3DRealms freakin' forever to get Duke Nuke'em Forever completed (with an engine they didn't even have to design!)

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I think it's funny that they can get Doom III done so quickly (relatively), and it's taking 3DRealms freakin' forever to get Duke Nuke'em Forever completed (with an engine they didn't even have to design!)
See my comment above.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks