What's new

New computer problem (1 Viewer)

ChadM

Stunt Coordinator
Just got a new computer and the screen size is set to 1600x1200. This makes most web pages look very small. Is there a setting I can change to make this better?

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
ya, change it to 1280x1024 by right clicking the desktop: properties-->Settings

ChadM

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, just as I suspected. I did that already and it makes everything really fuzzy. I will just stick with what I have got. Thanks anyway!

Guess I will just spend more time here - this forum looks spectacular.

Cam S

Screenwriter
It might be the refresh rate too, so check that out. It should be arounf 70-75hz. Also make sure the monitor or lcd screen supports the lower resolutions or that your video drivers are up to date.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
1600x1200 on a laptop? That sounds very high. Unless I really am getting very old indeed that sounds more like the resolution you'd use with a 22' desktop monitor.

Still, if you can read it OK, good on ya!

John Watson

Screenwriter
I've never been able to grasp why there are so few screen resolution options for home computers, there must be 1,0000 fonts or point size settings, but for screens we seem to be limited to too teeny to read, or too big to show enough on the bloody screen!!!

Blame Bill Gates, I say. :angry:

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
if it's a laptop the screen resolution might not be adjustable, LCDs tend to only support a few resolutions. if this is the case you can right click on the desktop hit display properties go to appearance and change it to something like "windows default (Large)" or the like that uses larger fonts.

you can also adjust your font size for internet pages by clicking the view menu->text size annd picking one of the larger settings.

ChadM

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah it is 1600x1200 and if you change it you get a message that says "you have changed to a non-optimal resolution for your LCD monitor, blah, blah". Then when you change it looks like shit.

Thanks for all the help. I can see everything and I am getting used to it, however I do not know how good this is for my eyes. Thanks for all the help.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Use the display controls to set the icons for "Large" and the advanced settings for "Large Fonts". (That's how it works in Win98). I run a 17" monitor at 1600x1200 and those settings make it very usable. Except for certain situations, it's superior to using normal icons and fonts at lower resolutions.

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
Seeing that Laptop LCDs interpolate to the same res anyway, I'd say try to use a resolution that is en even divider of your native res. So if your screen's native res is 1600x1200 (On a 15" Laptop?!? Holy Shit!) then setting it to 800x600 shouldn't look as bad as say 1024x768... It's just like when showing a pic at 200% Zoom.

I'm running at 1600x1200 on a 21" (Non-LCD)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks