What's new

Forum URL Changing (1 Viewer)

Mark_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
For years I have had a Chrome desktop shortcut pointed to the TV Show forum. Never had a problem. Recently I purchased a new computer and when creating the shortcut, the URL is being changed from https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/forums/tv-shows.40/ to https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/?_pwa=1 and taking me to a summery page of some sort. Thinking it was something in the new PC, I went to the old one and created a shortcut there, and the same thing happened. Any idea of why this is happening? My other shortcuts I made are fine. Just the one to this forum.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Hi Mark!

I hate to give an answer like this as it does seem you are having a legitimate issue.

However, unless I am not duplicating your issue precisely, I am not having the same results.

I created a desktop shortcut to the TV SHOWS forum. That URL does not change when I click on it and takes me directly to the forum itself.

I created a shortcut by both dragging the URL to my desktop and adding it to my browser bookmarks.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Hi Mark - You're probably having this issue because you're not logged into your account when you use the shortcut. Log into HTF, have your credentials saved and then try again.

Mark_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
Hi Mark!

I created a shortcut by both dragging the URL to my desktop and adding it to my browser bookmarks.
That's not the shortcut I'm talking about. It is made by pulling up the website, going to the drop down in the upper right three dots and click on more tools. That brings up another box of choices. Click on "Create Shortcut" That puts an Icon of the site your looking at on your desktop. I thought it was something Google was doing, but I couldn't repeat it elsewhere. I did this on 2 computers and in response to another comment I was logged in.

With that said, I finally did find a way to get it to work. I went to the startup page for chrome that list your shortcuts and created the shortcut there instead of off the menu. I never did it like that before, I always did them from the site itself. It did the same thing, but it lets me change the URL and it stayed. I would have done that originally, but could not find a way to edit the URL.

I appreciate the help, but all seems good now. Probably a glitch in Chrome, I just couldn't duplicate it using another site. Just that URL to the TV forum. I should try another forum here and see what happens.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
That's not the shortcut I'm talking about. It is made by pulling up the website, going to the drop down in the upper right three dots and click on more tools. That brings up another box of choices. Click on "Create Shortcut" That puts an Icon of the site your looking at on your desktop. I thought it was something Google was doing, but I couldn't repeat it elsewhere. I did this on 2 computers and in response to another comment I was logged in.

With that said, I finally did find a way to get it to work. I went to the startup page for chrome that list your shortcuts and created the shortcut there instead of off the menu. I never did it like that before, I always did them from the site itself. It did the same thing, but it lets me change the URL and it stayed. I would have done that originally, but could not find a way to edit the URL.

I appreciate the help, but all seems good now. Probably a glitch in Chrome, I just couldn't duplicate it using another site. Just that URL to the TV forum. I should try another forum here and see what happens.
Mark,

Respectfully, your initial post was not very descriptive of the issue but I have now been able to duplicate it and thought it might be a good idea to add some clarification.

The "create shortcut" option you are referring to is found in the Chrome browser, not within the HTF environment. It creates a shortcut on the desktop that then leads here.

Instead of here, as it should...

@Ronald Epstein - This functionality does work for other sites so it may be worth looking into why it's not working for HTF.

Mark_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
@Ronald Epstein - This functionality does work for other sites so it may be worth looking into why it's not working for HTF
Thanks for confirming it wasn't something I was doing wrong. Really, It's not that big of a deal, it's just that I have been making these shortcuts for years as they are like mini apps. I know bookmarks work just fine, I just like the appearance. I always make them "Open as window" too. Just like an app. I didn't discover this problem until I got a new PC. My old worked fine for many years and still works. It's just new builds that are being rerouted..

Like I said, I found a work around that sends me to the right place. I just don't have the "Open as Window" option.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Mark,

Respectfully, your initial post was not very descriptive of the issue but I have now been able to duplicate it and thought it might be a good idea to add some clarification.

The "create shortcut" option you are referring to is found in the Chrome browser, not within the HTF environment. It creates a shortcut on the desktop that then leads here.

Instead of here, as it should...

@Ronald Epstein - This functionality does work for other sites so it may be worth looking into why it's not working for HTF.

I can only move this up the management chain, which I will certainly do

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks