What's new

New Budget Marantz Universal DVD Player (1 Viewer)

Jim_Lan

Agent
Saw that Marantz demoed the DV6400, a $600 universal player at CEDIA. Anyone have any further info on features and date?

Jim_Lan

Agent
From Sound stage live............ The new Marantz DV6400 ($599) is a budget-priced universal A/V player that does not convert DSD to PCM.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Can someone give the simple explanation of that please...
This question can become a royal can or worms, but I will give you the short story. This issue relates back to the SACD vs. DVD-A argument, which is a subject of religious fervor for many users.

SACD's are in a digital format called DSD (Direct Stream Digital, IIRC). DVD-A and standard CD are in PCM (pulse code modulation).

In a universal player (DVD-A, SACD, DVD-V, CD), there normally is bass management and time alignment functions that take place in the digital domain.

Some of those players are said to take the SACD DSD data, and sample it into PCM to perform those functions. Some feel that this negates any advantage that existed in DSD.

There is a lot of debate about which players do convert to PCM, and which do not. There is also a lot of debate about whether or not this is in anyway audible, and if it in fact degrades the sound.

Purists insist it does degrade the sound, while others disagree. There is also the argument that some SACD titles were originally recorded digitally in PCM, which makes the conversion to DSD potentially degrading.

As I said this is one huge can of worms, with threads that have gone on forever.

But thats the crux of it. I take no position on this, since I have no means to do a comparison.

I am not even sure what my player (45A) does. I think I have read posts that said it does convert, and some that say it does not. I can say that I am happy with the sound of both SACD and DVD-A titles, and feel that the quality of the recording and mastering has much more to due with the subjective sound quality than the format.

BGL

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Brian- Be assured, Pioneer confirmed that none of the 47a, 45a, and 47ai does any type of DSD to PCM conversion.

A funny thing is: the new Denon 5900 *does* do DSD to PCM conversion *if* you engage time alignment for SACD.

So, for example, the fact that the Pioneers do have time alignment for DVD-A but not for SACD, makes sense.

WesleyHester

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Hester
It's cool/different seeing the SACD logo where normally the DVD-Audio/Video logo would be on most players. On the Marantz, the DVD-Audio/Video is just text on the faceplate. Each manufacturer to their own I guess.

What little information I've seen on the internet, I'm really starting to like this player.

The black model with gold trim/text looks great but I really like that silver version much more personally.

I got mine today (pre-ordered it back in October from the dealer). I love it. So far, my first evening of impressions are (1) easy set-up, (2) simple operation with a sizable remote that has large buttons, (3) smooth operation, and (4) very quiet. I'm impressed with the sound quality from the SACD function (my Dylan SACDs sound great). Also, it has a very small foot print. I've haven't used the DVD player much, but my initial impressions were positive. Anyway, I guess all this is to say that so far I'm happy with the DV6400.

sako

Auditioning
I too am interested in more info on the DV6400, as I have a Marantz SR7400 on order.Does it have "chroma bug"?
What Decoding engine does it use? Faroudja, Silicon Image, etc. ?
What DAC's?
How much buffer memory?
Not much on the website and am trying to decide between Denon DVD-2200 and Marantz.
Thanks

JerryIII

Stunt Coordinator
I would love to know what the crossover is on this unit for SACD and DVD-A. Can you set delay for both SACD and DVD-A?

Jerry

Jim_Lan

Agent
I thumbed through the user manual when I was in the store but I did not see anything on chips they use. In fact very little on internal features. They have 80Hz crossover.. For bass management they let you select large, small, none for front, surround,center and sub.. I think it said that the bass management was only engaged in multi-channel mode for SACD's and DVD-A. This dealer was selling it for $499.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Isn't this just the rebadged newer Pioneer Elite mid-line universal player?

I thought most Marantz players were gussied up Pioneer Elite transports anyway.

Dan

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone compared the DV6400 to the Denon DVD-2200? They are priced similarly. Is the Marantz unit simply a rebadged Pioneer Elite DV45A? If so, did Marantz upgrade it significantly, particularly in the audio section? I've been thinking of getting the '2200 as a DVD-Audio player in my second stereo system and am wondering how the Marantz player stacks up.

By the way, how much does the DV6400 weigh? The Marantz web site has no information posted yet.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Keith- Where you bin, dawg? :) Good to see you back. The 5900 is out, and the 59Avi will be shortly. I know you read some British mags, so let us know if you spot anything on these and other players.

And now back to you normally scheduled programming...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks