What's new

New blu-ray player supporting 3D and Atmos / X? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I want a new blu-ray player. Preferably capable of 3D output and can also send Dolby Atmos and DTS X signals to the AVR. A quick search finds only a $250 4K player. No blu-ray players.

I’m not upgrading to 4K displays for another year probably. So I hope to buy a blu-ray player for under $150 rather than a $250+ 4K.

Any suggestions? I figured this would be easy peasy $99 purchase. But I’ve hit a wall.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Since the player doesn't decode Atmos or DTS-X itself but merely bitstreams the signal to the receiver to decode, I would think any 3D capable player would satisfy your requirements.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Since the player doesn't decode Atmos or DTS-X itself but merely bitstreams the signal to the receiver to decode, I would think any 3D capable player would satisfy your requirements.
True. Even my very old Panasonic BD60 can send Atmos and DTS X as bitstreams to my receiver for decoding.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Yes, any 3D Bluray player should be fine as long as it can bitstream audio.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That’s what I thought. But looking at the Sony BDPS6700, it explicitly says it Atmos isn’t supported. User feedback says the same.

I’m confused.

"Amazon.com: Sony BDPS6700 4K Upscaling 3D Streaming Blu-Ray Disc Player (2016 Model): Electronics" (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BTTHXZU)
Amazon.com: Sony BDPS6700 4K Upscaling 3D Streaming Blu-Ray Disc Player (2016 Model): Electronics

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Maybe the issue is bitstreaming vs decoding. Because it has:

https://docs.sony.com/release//specs/BDPS6700_mksp.pdf
Dolby TrueHD bit-stream out

But decodes:
Dolby True HD decoding (2Ch)

Ok. I see a user review on this:
“I was trying to set this unit up to send bit-stream audio out for Dolby Atmos decoding by my Denon AVR... The audio options aren't very easy to navigate because you cannot simply select "bit-stream" only. To force bit-stream audio out you have to select "auto" for the audio out option AND also select "off" for BD Audio MIX Setting.”

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The Sony X800 UHD player has been reduced in price close to your $150 budget and has 3D support. I know you said you are not planning on upgrading to a 4K display for another year, but this player works well for BD's and DVD's, too, and you'd have a 4K capable player when you do eventually upgrade your display.

I own a X800, but have never tried out the 3D feature -- I've never owned a 3D display. The player is attached to a Vizio 4K display, and is my primary player for UHD, BD and DVD playback.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I was looking to upgrade to a 4k player just for the Atmos capability since studios are no longer putting Atmos tracks on Blu-ray releases. I would essentially be downconverting.

Looked at the $250 Sony, and it has some bad reviews on Amazon. Lots of complaints about disc freezing. Some are suggesting waiting for Sony's replacement to that model.

Just voicing my two-cents on this. I am inclined to spend twice as much on an Oppo if it means getting a reliable 4k player.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I was looking to upgrade to a 4k player just for the Atmos capability since studios are no longer putting Atmos tracks on Blu-ray releases. I would essentially be downconverting.

Looked at the $250 Sony, and it has some bad reviews on Amazon. Lots of complaints about disc freezing. Some are suggesting waiting for Sony's replacement to that model.

Just voicing my two-cents on this. I am inclined to spend twice as much on an Oppo if it means getting a reliable 4k player.
I hadn’t read the reviews on the X800. I’ll keep that in mind if in decide to get a 4K player.

I have the same Atmos problems as you.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Ron,

I'm surprise you haven't upgraded your older Oppo player. The Oppo 203 can easily be converted to Region Free too with a mod kit that is relatively cheap and that you attached to the outside of player. Matter of fact this is the same mod kit i use on my Oppo 103.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
If you have a previous mod on the 103, that same mod can be used on the 203!

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
For my home theater area, I have both a 93 and 203. Both are region modified with the 93 left in a Region B state. Without a doubt these are my "goto" players (also have a 970HD - this was my first Oppo player ever!). For the main living room where "casual" viewing takes place I have the Sony X800 which I bought during the holidays at the $150 mark - this room is the only place where I have a full 4K chain but can't get my better half to let me go beyond a a 2.1 setup for sound. Although not heavily used, my personal experience with it has all been good.

Regards,

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
For my home theater area, I have both a 93 and 203. Both are region modified with the 93 left in a Region B state. Without a doubt these are my "goto" players (also have a 970HD - this was my first Oppo player ever!). For the main living room where "casual" viewing takes place I have the Sony X800 which I bought during the holidays at the $150 mark - this room is the only place where I have a full 4K chain but can't get my better half to let me go beyond a a 2.1 setup for sound. Although not heavily used, my personal experience with it has all been good.

Regards,
Yeah, I have my three Oppo players deployed in a manner so I have region free capability in all three HT setups in my house.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I've owned a Sony X-800 almost year now. My first unit developed a hardware problem back in July where it would no longer recognize any UHD discs, but still played BDs and DVDs without issue. Sony replaced that unit at no cost to me -- they paid for FedEx shipping in both directions. My 2nd unit has experienced the freeze condition exactly twice since I received it. Both times it happened was when playing a UHD disc, and I had to pull the power cord to get the unit to recover. Playing the same disc in the same spot did not reproduce the error. The unit has never done this with any other type of disc.

My first issue was clearly a hardware problem -- one other person on another forum experienced the same issue, so it may have been a manufacturing defect affecting a very small number of units. The freezing issue, while a concern, has fortunately not happened enough to be a significant problem in my case.

Sony's new model which replaces the X-800 has some concerns, too. It will not be shipped with Dolby Vision support, but is supposed to receive that functionality via a future firmware update. After seeing LG fail to deliver on its promise for DV support on it's player, I wouldn't suggest buying one until Sony actually delivers on its firmware update promise. Also, the new Sony lacks the DVD-Audio support available in the current X-800, and appears to be of much inferior physical construction.

Panasonic's newly announced UHD model also will be without Dolby Vision support upon initial release, but also has the same manufacturer's promise for adding the feature via a future firmware upgrade.

Honestly, the news regarding 2018 model UHD players has been rather underwhelming so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks