What's new

New Anthem MCA 5 series II (1 Viewer)

JamesKan

Grip
Has anyone heard the new MCA 5 series II amplifier from Anthem? I believe it is upgraded to 225 wpc as opposed to the previous 200. If you have heard it, what is your impression? I listened to the old version and really liked it, but have not had a chance to audition the new one. There are other changes to the amp as well, but what they are, I am unaware of.

James

Sean D

Stunt Coordinator
Hi James,
I have owned this amp since September and am quite happy with it. The purchase was my first step into separates, using a Marantz sr-7000 as my pre/pro for now until the Outlaw 950 comes out. I beleive it is 200 watts per channel and 170-180 all channels driven simultaneously. I have read of some people saying that they hear hiss from their speakers or noise from the amp but mine is dead quiet. I think this amp sounds great and was a big improvement from just using my receiver. Here is the link: http://www.sonicfrontiers.com/frames/mcafr.html

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Hey Sean, I think James is talking about a third generation Anthem. I too, like you, have the MCA 5 II that rates at 200WPC, but James is referring to a new line of Anthem Amps that I was talking to my dealer about before buying the 2nd generation. I'm in the same boat as you...I love my Anthem...dead quiet and great headroom. Unbelievable clarity.

James, you can't go wrong with Anthem...great performance for a reasonable price with that company. I'm sure the third generation is great, building on the success of gen II, but I haven't heard, so I can't pass on any positive reviews.

keith fox

Agent
It went into production mid-December. First shipments due to dealers in mid-late Jan if all goes well. I have one on order to match my AVM20 (currently have PVA-7 on loan from dealer). Dealer had FAX copy of new spec sheet.

Keith

keith fox

Agent
Oh yeah ... new name is MCA50... to diffrientiate. There will also be a MCA20 and MCA30 but interestingly no MCA70.

Keith

keith fox

Agent
I forgot price is going up as well to match increase in performance - about 30% I think.
I do not think the older (less expensive/powerful) line can be ordered anymore. You will have to go with dealer stock or wait for the new amp and pay more (but you get more too :) )

JamesKan

Grip
Thanks for the help guys-yeah I was talking about the new 3rd generation Anthem. I went to my retailer and listened again to the MCA 5 (second gen), and loved it, so I placed an order for the new MCA 50!!! I assume it can only be better! WOO HOO! List was about 2,ooo, but I got it for less than that. I will be sure to let you guys know how it sounds. If I don't like it, I can always bring it back. I guess I'm the test subject for the store, because they don't even have one in stock yet. They all are waiting to see what I think. It should be in this week. :D
James

keith fox

Agent
Sean,

I believe the price for the 5 channel amp went from $1400 USD List to approx $2000 USD List.

Keith

Jeff D.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
The Anthem amps are superb! Absolutely amazing and stunning value for money. The Anthem's hold their own from some stiff competition from the likes of B&K, Bryston and Classe. You've pretty much got to double your investment before the Anthem really starts to lose out to these other names.

For the record, due to dealer demand, the MCA 5 Series II will remain in the lineup alongside the new MCA 50. The MCA 2 and 3 Series II have been deleted and will be replaced by the MCA 20 and 30, respectively. 7 channel amplification comes courtesy of the PVA line, specifically the PVA 7.

/Jeff

Robin Chen

Auditioning
Can anyone tell me what is the difference between the MCA 5 MKII and the pre MKII version? Was some flaws fixed or some specs improved? Thanks,

Kevin T

Screenwriter
i called sonic frontiers yesterday and inquired about the new mca-50 series. i was told they didn't have print outs of the new specs but it will be more powerful than the mca-5 mkII (200 vs. 225). that's really all i could find out. i was told that the left and right channel share one transformer and the center and surrounds share the other one. i couldn't get any info on the size of the transformer though. the old mca-5 mkII used two 550 va transformers. who knows about the mca-50 though. hopefully they'll update their site soon and we'll all be able to find out. i'd really like to know if the difference between the two is worth $350.

kevin t

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
With a price of $2000, it will now be competing with the Rotel RMB-1095, Parasound HCA-2205 and the Sherbourn 1500. While I haven't heard the series II, I was seriously considering the original MCA-5, but a quick audition of both the RMB 1095 and the MCA-5 made me change my mind. The 1095 was just better almost in every way. I certainly hope 2 generations will cause some audible improvements.

keith fox

Agent
Kevin - re spec sheets. I saw a preliminary FAXed spec sheet. I don't remember the exact numbers but the amp was beefed up considerably in all areas (total output, transformers, etc). Ask your dealer for any help.

Sihan - My dealer has got the MCA20 in and listened and compared it with the MCA2. They thought it was much superior. You will have to listen for yourself.

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
Keith, I wouldn't be surprised, but now that I have the Rotel 1095, I don't foresee myself outgrowing it for a very very long time :)

Legairre

Supporting Actor
I just looked at the specs PDF. Heres the ratings.

MCA20 225(1 channel driven) 200(all channels driven)

MCA20 225(1 channel driven) 180(all channels driven)

MCA20 225(1 channel driven) 180(all channels driven)

All three are 20hz-20khz @ 8ohms

Kevin T

Screenwriter
hmmm...mca-5 mkII 170 watts per channel all channels driven. mca-50 180 watts per channel all channels driven. price differece quoted is $350 more for 10 more watts and 50,000 more microfarads. i think i'll go for the mca-5 mkII personally until i can make a direct comparison between the two to know if the 50 is $350 better.

kevin t

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks