Which amp to buy. ATI or Anthem or something else?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gregg Hart, Mar 7, 2002.

1. Gregg Hart

Gregg Hart Stunt Coordinator

I am upgrading my amp and trying to determine which amp to go with. I am mating this with a Sony E9000-ES (which might be upgraded too) and NHT speakers all the way around

(2.9s for the mains).

I am looking for something in the 150-200 watt per channel range (at 8 ohm) for 5 channels. I have found both a used ATI 1505 and used Anthem MCA-5 (not series II) for $800 for either piece. I would consider going new, but if I can get them for 30-40% off for used, I'll take it.

I am torn between these 2 units. I have heard the ATI is great for shear power for HT, but lacks in 2 channel music. I have also hear the Anthem sounds great with music and HT but tends to distort at high volumes even though it's 170wpc with all channels driven.

I curious what people would suggest between the 2 or anything else they would recommend in the $1000-$1500 price point for new equipment.

I think I want to stay away from Outlaw since they are only scaled down ATI's and would cost more since ATI 1505 can be had new from onecall for $1100.

Anything help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Gregg

2. Legairre

Legairre Supporting Actor

3. Brian Corr

Brian Corr Supporting Actor

Parasound 2205 would be an excellent choice also. They always pop up on ebay and audiogon too.

4. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    Sherbourn 5/1500A can be had new for $1400-$1500, used for even less.

5. DaleV

DaleV Agent

Just purchased a Parasound 2205 for 1750 total. I know its more than you want to pay but its fantastic. I listened to the Anthem MCA 5 II for about 3 weeks and it was nice but I like the Parasound more. I was also considering the Sherbourn 5/1500 but didn't have anywhere close to give it a try. There are 2 of the Sherbourn 5/1500 for sale (open box) with full warranty for $1199 each at AVS forum classifieds site. http://www.avsforum.com/classifieds/classifieds.cgi

6. DaleV

DaleV Agent

7. Neville

Neville Extra

Assuming the both these amps were well taken care of and in excellent condition I would take the ATI over the Anthem. The ATI I listened to a while back was a very nice sounding amplifier and very well built.

8. Gregg Hart

Yes I found the Sherbourn's over at AVS Forum for $1200. That is another piece that I heard some good things about. Parasound 2205 would be great but I'd love to try and find a used one for less than $1600. Thanks for the input so far.

Gregg

9. Marc_E

Marc_E Supporting Actor

Check out the Rotel RMB-1095. 200wpc. www.hometheaterhifi.com has a glowing review. Does not fall short where the Anthem and ATI do. MSRP is $2k but they are on augiogon for $1500 and less.
    Marc

10. Ricky T

Ricky T Supporting Actor

Greg,

Nice to see you still have your NHTs and 2.9s. Do you have AC2 and 1.5 rears? Are you upgrading to a 7.1 prepro? Can you "squeeze" in 2.5i rears (they are going for $595/pair NIB)? What amp are you upgrading FROM?

11. Edward M

Edward M Stunt Coordinator

I understand the Parasound 2205AT is being discontinued in favor of new and better this spring. The 1205A and 1500A have already been discontinued from what I have been told. So I suspect alot of people will be considering upgrading.

Ed

12. Gregg Hart

Ricky,

Still have the full setup of AC-2 and 1.5s in the rear. 7.1 is still impossible till I move. The room we have is very small and the rears are side facing against the couch, so there's no room for another pair.

I'd love to grab the 2.5's but just won't have anywhere to place them.

Gregg

13. Ricky T

Ricky T Supporting Actor

Gregg,

What amp are you using now?

14. Gregg Hart

Oops. Forgot to answer that question. I sold my Golden Theater GTA-1 today. It was 200X5. Pretty nice amp, but just have the upgrade sickness again.

I think I am leaning towards the Sherbourn 5/1500a now. Can get a demo model for $1200 from an authorized dealer. Sounds like an excellent amp.

Gregg

15. Ricky T

Ricky T Supporting Actor

Gregg,

Golden Theater/Golden Tube made nice sounding stuff. I'm not sure the Anthem, ATI, Sherbourne, etc would be upgrades for you.

Maybe your "upgrade" can be going from a 5 channel to a 2&3 channel combo:

- Acurus 200x3 and A200

- Parasound 2003A and 1500A

- Rotel 993 and 991

- 5 Marantz monoblocks

16. Frank Frandsen

Frank Frandsen Stunt Coordinator

I have had a Acurus and A Marantz MM9000 and can safetly say they are not in the same league as the Sherbourn. The 5/1500a is loads better and is a monoblock design. Essentially 5 seperate amps powered by one cord in one unit.

Frank

17. Gregg Hart

Ricky,

The amp is a Golden Theater/Tube amp its a solid state amp from a now out of business compaqny called Solo Electronics.

I am definately leaning towards the Sherbourn at this point.

Gregg

18. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

...just got an email from onecall.com

As Gregg noted, the ATI AT 1505x5 is closing for $1,099.56.

19. Sankar

Sankar Second Unit

Having lived with the AT1505 for some time now, I must say that its an excellent piece of work. I use it for music and HT and am continually amazed by its transparency. At the time that I did my research, I had tried the Anthem MCA-5, but prefered the ATI -- both on sound and build quality. The ATI also has the bigger transformer (2KVA for the AT1505 vs 1.1KVA for the Anthem MCA-5). In the looks department, though the Anthem surged ahead. The ATI looks -- and feels -- like a black tank, while the silver MCA-5 is indeed pretty!.
    I had not heard the Sherbourne 5/1500, but remember reading reviews at the time that I was doing my survey (I do not recall the source anymore) where people had ranked the Anthem and ATI above it.
    Last but not the least, is the service that you get with ATI. On multiple occasions I have contacted them with questions (+ when I was buying a second AT1504 used, I had wanted info on auto turn on etc etc) ... and I ALWAYS got a reply from Mike Pontele himself WITHIN 24 HOURS!! They were willing to bend over backwards to answer any questions and be helpful. I doubt that you'll find the same level of service at any of the bigger players. The warranty on ALL ATI amps is based on the serial number of the unit and not who the first buyer was etc. (I recall reading somewhere that Anthem only warrants the initial buyer, but I may be wrong). This can be extremely important if you are considering used amps. I have bought 2 used ATI amps (and I can see that there is little that one can do to damage these) ... each time I emailed them with the serial # and Mike Pontele personally sent an email confirming the amount of warranty left.
    However at the end of the day, I'm sure that you'll find that these are all fine amps and you will need to audition them to see which fits your system the best. Very rarely (if ever) will you find someone saying that they do not like the amp they are living with ...

20. Joe Mollura

Joe Mollura Stunt Coordinator

Sanker
    What speakers are you using with your ATI 1505? Do you think the new Outlaw 755 will outperform it?